Is your smartphone listening to you when not using it?

It might be nice to know that someone finds my conversations worth easvesdropping. :wink:

I turn off my location finder on my phone. I donā€™t use it for anything at the moment. My phone actually has deleted permissions to apps that I havenā€™t used in the past 6 months.

I do think that Facebook is pretty invasive. It tried to turn on my microphone on my computer that I had disabled. Iā€™m not sure what itā€™s doing on my phone, but it doesnā€™t have to listen to my conversations to know how to market. It just replicates the groups Iā€™m joining in ads it serves to me.

2 Likes

We are going to have ads thrown at us whatever we do, so I suppose they may as well be relevant to us. I shouldnā€™t think many people actually take notice of what ads they are getting. I donā€™t think I do. :thinking:

1 Like

I actually do notice ads. I have adblockers on everything except the streaming services on my phone (theyā€™re blocked on my computer) and Facebook (and itā€™s progeny Instagram). When I get ads, theyā€™re quite novel since I donā€™t see them anywhere else. Iā€™m trying to find ways to block those few ads I do get, but when I get them, theyā€™re noticeable. Iā€™m so suggestible that I find myself looking at the ads on Facebook and clicking on them. Theyā€™re normally a disappointment but I keep clicking on a few of them, a waste of my emotional energy.

2 Likes

Not in this home there wonā€™t, nor will there be a smart phone either.

3 Likes

I do not have a smartphone or that intrusive Alexa, so I am not being listened to.

2 Likes

There will be when youā€™re ā€œgoneā€ ā€¦ :wink:

Thatā€™s as may be, but not while V and I are still alive and kicking :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

The march of the Bots goes on.

I think we all know that the big sales companies have devices that feed back, to their owners, what web pages you visit, what you check prices on, what you buy.

Alexa (and the others) are, likely to be doing the same with your chit chat, in your lounge.

Maybe your Smart TV is doing it, as well?

I have seen emails itemising things that we have only talked about, in the room.

Hardly coincidence?

What can we do?

We could pull the plug, on the Alexa device, when weā€™re not using it, and that would cut it back a bit.

Then we might go back to the old war time thought ā€œThese walls have earsā€.

2 Likes

2 Likes

There was me, thinking that you were too young to rememberā€¦!

Oh no there wonā€™t!

2 Likes

I was born during WWII but my grandparents were hot on keeping quiet.

1 Like

I donā€™t have Alexa or anything similar in my home - for my iPhone, I can turn off Siri any time I want in my Settings. I have only used it to play with occasionally to try it out, so itā€™s usually switched off.
Also, Apps usually request permission to access the microphone - and I can check in the Privacy settings for which Apps currently have access to the microphone and turn it on or off for each App - so I feel as though Iā€™m in control.
I donā€™t currently have any Apps for which I have given permission to access the microphone and I canā€™t recall any time my iPhone has automatically input Search suggestions when Iā€™ve used it to access the internet.

Maybe there is some secret listening station somewhere that Iā€™m unaware of - I wonder how clear my voice is when my phone lives most of the time in the depths of my handbag or rucksack, inside a cupboard - poor Siri must get a bit lonely in there if he is secretly ā€œon dutyā€ behind my back! :rofl:

When planning rebellions during dinner parties we always run the cold water tap just like my parents did in cold war days.

3 Likes

Then again, it could be that all of the devices (Alexa, Smart Phones, Smart TVs) are made in China!

How about that?

1 Like

I will not wittingly buy anything made in China. Nothing against the chinese people per se - but I refuse to support a Communist regime.

As has been mentioned, I always knew that being on the internet is not anonymous, and you are a target from the commercial sector. Not always a problem as itā€™s usually something you are interested in anyway, just a little bit annoying at times. But if you are being monitored by the business world, that you know about, what about the followers that you donā€™t know about. The establishment for exampleā€¦When GCHQ can monitor conversations half way around the world, your living room would be easy pickings. And donā€™t underestimate the Russians. The Americans are not the only country who have spy satellites orbiting the earth capable of reading a newspaper on the street from several miles up in the sky. Try ordering some bomb making equipment or joining a patriotic organisation and see how long it would be before you get a knock at the door.
Not as free a country as you are led to believeā€¦

So do you think we should be free to make bombs without the authorities poking their noses into our affairs, Foxy? :slightly_smiling_face:

I was going to say . . . I think that authorities keeping track of people doing harmful things has been going on way before smartphones. Regular phones are not impenetrable. And bugging devices arenā€™t unheard of.

If anything smartphones makes it harder because thereā€™s so much noise. Itā€™s harder to identify the threats if youā€™re monitoring innocuous things.

I know someone who has worked for both the military and the police intelligence services and he has told me what GCHQ themselves tell us - they can access data and content from mobile phones and devices but they need a reason to justify access - they donā€™t waste time listening in to every innocent conversation and staff are not allowed to access conversations on a whim - there would have to be a lead or an activity which triggered a reason to authorise investigation.

Being able to track people who are planning terror related activities is a good thing, in my book - and if an investigation into an observed suspicious-looking activity turns out to have an innocent explanation, with no crime being planned or committed, then no harm done.

Key Fact - Justifying Investigations

ā€œBefore being able to use any of our databases, we must be able to justify our detective work. For each query that is run, the justification is recorded and can be audited.ā€

ā€œOur analysts must think about the threat they are investigating, which of GCHQā€™s missions does it relate to? Is the investigation proportionate? Can they demonstrate the search is necessary to advance the investigation?ā€

2 Likes