Is there a book that changed your Life

‘On The Duty Of Civil Disobedience’ by Henry David Thoreau changed my life.
‘31 Songs’ by Nick Hornby changed the way I listen to and appreciate music.

Betty eadie interviewed on television about her near death experience wrote her book embraced by the light . It was beautifully written and so fascinating listening to what had happened to her I bought the book , I still have it. Written about 20 yrs ago . My first insight into near death experiences and since then have heard of many more .

‘The Women’s Room’ by Marilyn French. Although I was over 40 years old when I first read it, it was a revelation to me. It made me realise that the things that had happened to me, my family, my friends and others I knew about were not confined to a small area of Derbyshire, Greater Manchester or even England, but to women all over the world!
Exactly the same incidents, situations, phrases and excuses used in America as here. Woman are casually and systematically abused, terrorised and murdered by ordinary men, who believe it is their right as masters of the human race, to order and be obeyed, with indisputable rights of punishment if they are not.
From that day on, I began to work to support women and challenge the status quo, whenever a case arose. In the few decades since then, there has been progress. The war against gender inequality is very far from won but there has been some progress, particularly in the West but, even here, there is still a long way to go.
‘The Women’s Room’ opened a lot of eyes, not just mine. Marilyn French deserves more recognition than she has received for publicising what had previously been an almost secret world wide holocaust of dead and damaged women. She deserves more recognition than she has received.

It is easy to say today,and with hindsight, but when I was 16 I read a paperback about psychology-the name escapes me. Life was not easy back then,hated home and was about to embark on a bit too much weed and sod the homework.

Eventually I got there. Got a PhD and then thought-what should I do now??-That question remains unanswered.

An excellent book and some things are still the same today.

I haven’t had a book that has changed my life but I have read one that had me in tears, sitting around the pool on holiday. Not a good look for a guy. Luckily I had my sunglasses on.

The book was A thousand splendid suns.

i have read all 3 books and have picked up a few tips :-p:-p

The Naked Ape by Desmond Morris and
Women are from Venus Men are from Mars by John Gray (boring in parts but what an eye-opener!)

Many have reduced me to tears… but that wasn’t the question…:lol:

I think the book that changed my life was the first one I read.

From that point on knowing that I could pick up a book and be transported to anywhere on this world or another in any timezone was the most wonderful of feelings.

Smashing post moreover :038:

The Book That Changed My Life.

Back around 1989 I was trying to deal with moving on with my life after a bad relationship ended. I went to a local resource centre in South Australia called "C.O.P.E. Centre.
It stood for centre of personal encounter.Great place too.Anything to do with relationships you could get help.
I was looking for a book that would help me. Fiinally found a book called:
“If I’m so wonderful,why am I still single?” By Susan Page.
I needed this book.I still have that book. It made me re-evalute my life and what I wanted/didnt want in a relationship.Since then I’ve been better off because of that book. Sometimes in life we just that something to help us go in the right direction. Since then I still read the odd self help book. Books by Neil Clark Warren and Barbara De Angelis are great books on compatibility and incompatibility.Ideal books to wake you up and see the world differently.

I wouldn’t say it changed my life, but if anyone knows someone with cerebral palsy then you must read Skallagrigg by William Horwood. A Christian friend at work (how died) lent it to me and I was completely absorbed, deeply moved and outraged and uplifted in equal measure. Please make the effort to read it - it’s a wonderful book.

500 mile walkies by Mark Wallington,

500 Mile Walkies , by Mark Wallington - This book really did change my life, I used to hardly walk anywhere , I would even use the car to go fetch a paper.
Its a true story about a man and a dog that set out to walk the South West Coast Path from Minehead to Poole via Lands End, crossing every beach, and climbing cliffs hugging the coast. The Guy had never done any walking and the dog had hardly ever seen a blade of grass as he was an inner city streetwise dog. the story is about what happens to both of them en route, and is very funny and descriptive of the places they pass through,. I would recommend it for anyone with a s.o.h, that loves dogs, walking, and beautiful coastal places

I wouldn’t say any book changed my life …
but a couple did have an impact and make me think.

Catch 22 … for the absurdity of war and how a healthy cynicism can be a wise defence against the world. Read for entertainment but the underlying message could not be ignored.

Rudolf Steiner … I forget the particular book. Was a disagreeable insight into how some self-proclaimed superior people view … the worth of other people. Read for an insight into human nature … what a disappointment and cruel awakening that was.

I have read so many books. I wouldn’t say any have changed my life but some have stuck in my head…

The Eichmann Trial, that l read when l was in my twenties. It was very harrowing and l felt quite affected by it. Reading what many people went through and suffered was horrifying.

Another book was, The Damage Done: Twelve Years Of Hell In A Bangkok Prison, written by Warren Fellows.
He was convicted of drug trafficking (heroin) and was imprisioned for life in a notorious prison.

Lol … Carl Young ? … evidently made a lasting impression !!!

:mrgreen: :shock: :102:

The World Pictorial Gazetteer changed my life, it was so thick, I could stand on it and reach the Old Mans Golden Virginia, and Rizlas on the shelf above the fireplace.

We certainly found the two hardback volumes of Webster’s and a few encyclopaedias invaluable when putting up the wall cupboards.

The first Peter And Jane Ladybird book. Taught me to read at 4, so I guess it changed my life. Otherwise I’d have been a noxious, toxic, ignorant desperate clown of a man all my life.:mrgreen:

NO…