Is it only me who goes on Google earth to see where the author is setting the scene?

Hi, don’t know if you’ll see this, but I’ve looked up maps in Atlases in the past. Since the 80-90s and the advances we’ve experienced, I do that with Google Maps.

I’ve done tons of research with my own projects. I’ve used actual places in Scotland and put fictional buildings and characters there. :joy:

Only one Universe I’ve created entirely from my creative mind. Technically, it would be found in a parallel dimension between Venus and Mars.

So, no ribs as I’ve told what I’ve done :+1:

1 Like

I do often wonder how much of their geography is fact. Like do they mention real streets, real shops. How much they are allowed to get away with.

1 Like

Well, Vaniy seems to have gone and it’s a shame because I’d like to thank them for an absolutely brilliant idea!

And Supernatural, you’re take sounds intriguing too, tell us more!

I’d never even thought of it

I just spent a few minutes looking up Alderley Edge setting for the Weirdstone of Brisingamen and somewhere I’ve always wanted to visit

And had a quick look at Stephen Kings house in Bangor

I think I feel a new hobby coming on, it’s a great way to add to your book experience

1 Like

I suppose they can mention real streets and shops as long as they don’t say anything untrue about them

Some of it is bound to be poetic licence, I’d have thought?

I like Phil Rickman’s books and they’re all about places near here and I know some of the things he describes are accurate, some he makes up

There you go @Maree

I’ve used a wee village on the A9 which I’ve christened Horsebridge. This after seeing many of these structures on our holidays.

Carr2

In the vast forested area along the A9, I chose a plot of land and created a few buildings for Skyler’s family. A witchcraft shop run by her Mother and her coven, a law firm headed by her Father, on an imaginary street.

Nestled in between said two shops, lie the entrance to their Estate, which her parents bought before Skyler’s birth. It’s a large family manor but being magically proportioned on the inside to make room for all 9 family members, each their own family and the staff. Stables at the back, vegetables and flowers gardens plus orchards.

Finally, a huge indoor swimming complex.

As real life, there’s the Scottish Train service to Inverness and I’ve based the College/University on the beautiful architectural one in Edinburgh. I just gave it another name.

There’s made up houses for vet stables outside of Edinburgh near the airport. The English County of Kent is home to vineyards.

A village in Italy who’s famous for Witches prosecution is real as well as the Faeries Waterfall in Europe.

I’ve created a fictional hotel on an island in British Columbia and another Island in Norway received an Estate…

Anyway, I’ll be launching the series later on, hopefully in the summer months.

We can use real places, cities this and that. However, if you’re going to use an actual existing store or house or company building. You’ve to get permission from the owners. Otherwise, don’t risk it for a biscuit :cookie:

1 Like