Is It Easy To Put A New Cord On Your Rotary Washing Line?

I should have explained in my earlier post that mine can be locked in a number of positions below the topmost. I intended to say that I’d thread the thing with the arms locked at a position rather lower than the topmost position and that would then permit further tensioning the leads afterwards by raising the arms higher or possibly to the top, Angel.

1 Like

The design of your rotary clothes lines seem very odd to me from your descriptions. Mine is a foldaline so that I could fold it up or remove it all together when the kids were little (and still do for family gatherings).

The lines when in use are locked in the horizontal position but can be raised or lowered from about my shoulder height to a point where they arenearly too high for me to attach clothes.

I had to move mine when I built the car port the socket and cap is still in the ground somewhere but is now lost :frowning:

This is the modern one (with mine the cap is flush with the concrete and the concrete has less of a camber so it didn’t interfere with the kids footie)

1 Like

Oh, but of course. Yours is upside-down! (But then I suppose Australia is upside-down too.)

No, mine is the other way up (the correct way up) like an umbrella.

1 Like

But how can you fold it up to get it out of the way? I mean the arms are much longer than it’s height.

As for the correct way, it is not an umbrella (though you can buy a cover to use it as a gazebo) and with mine the weight of clothes makes it lock more firmly into position whereas, with an umbrella design, the weight would make it tend to collapse.

I just nipped out to measure it - each arm is about 2.2 metres long so it needs a circle of at least about 5 metres diameter to operate

BTW your version is definitely the wrong way because rotary clothes lines are an Australian invention and patent.

1 Like

I was looking at my rotary washing line just now and l think it’s going to be a bit of a task. It’s knowing how to measure the ‘slack’ when it’s lowered to ensure the correct tension of the cord when it’s at full height. I suppose you just tweak it as necessary as JBR said. I think for me, it might be easier said than done!!

How is it done at the time of manufacture? Is it threaded by some sort of machine, or manually by a human?
Gosh, if it’s by a human, what a job for someone to have!!! Eeeeek!

Fair enough. As to why it doesn’t collapse: quality and British made!

1 Like

Oh, I’d come and do it for you, Angel, but you’ll have to tell me where you live! :wink:

1 Like

JBR, Of course l will tell you where l live… I live in a house! :laughing:

I am having trouble getting the replacement cord. Nowhere seems to stock it locally. Robert Dyas had some but it didn’t state the width and it looked very thin.
Wilko, usually stock it but had none, nor did any supermarket.

Maybe, they prefer you to buy a new rotary washing line?

Amazon. We use it a lot and, of course, they deliver.
Just be careful to read the descriptions, as there are many different things available.
Even more importantly, read the customer reviews!

1 Like

Yes, there are so many different ones on Amazon and that’s the reason l tried the shops in the town. I wanted to see the cord before l bought it.

1 Like

If anyone is interested in an update… this is what happened next.

I decided, l was fed up with traipsing around shops looking for a suitable replacement cord and they were not in stock. Plus, on my old rotary line, the clip things you thread the cord through were perished and kept cracking.

Then Putin threatened to nuke U.K. so l decided, l might as well spend my money on a new top of the range rotary washing line… while l could!!
So off l went to Costco and purchased the Brabantia Lift- O- Matic at £63+.
It’s now in place and ready to dry some washing for me!
It can be adjusted to a very high position, or a low position…

Excellent…
until PooTin nukes the UK!

1 Like

@Artangel , Bad decision Arty , the nuclear flash will vaporise the Lift-o- magic
and you will have wasted your money !
Far better to stock up on Gin !!
Donkeyman! :+1::thinking::thinking::+1:

1 Like

I agree, to an extent.
But not gin; Laphroaig.

2 Likes

:laughing: Donkeyman, There’s only one problem… l don’t drink spirits these days!!
Anyway, this washing line has a special coating that makes it radiation resistant! So it’s just me and the washing that gets marmalised! :laughing:

1 Like

But you must realise that all that nasty radiation will squeeze through between the lines and come and get you. It’s rather nasty like that.

Yes, as DM says, once a nuclear strike is announced, you have about 15 minutes (or less) to get as drunk as you can. I promise you, you won’t even know that you have died!

1 Like

Will my Covid mask protect me if l line it with tin foil? :laughing:

Oh yes of course. These masks are fantastic. They can protect you from anything and everything. Why do you think the NHS are still making everyone who visits their premises wear them?

1 Like

@JBR , ‘why do NHS make us wear one’ ?
To stop us catching a disease inside the hospital of course !
Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking:

2 Likes

The truth is: bureaucracy! Nothing more.