Is E-On Next a scam?

I am getting a lot of emails from what looks like a message from E-ON. The colour of the title is the correct shade of red. But the full title is E-ON Next. I am also getting messages on my mobile urging me to pay my bill and adding to it as I am reluctant to pay. It not only has a different name it also has a different email address and crucially (in my opinion) a different bank reference into which I should pay.

This is the reason I have not paid what they ask for. However, I have sought support from my suspicion by looking E-ON Next up using Google. There are a lot of sites (not just belonging to EO-N Next) which suggest this is all bona fides and E-ON has for some reason transferred my account to E-On Next with its own bank account. Have I missed some announcement from the real E-ON? I do note that although they know my name, address and mobile phone number they use a different account number that I have with the real E-ON.

It may be that some fraudster has got the right details and is simply trying it on in the hope of getting lucky. They might not even know that I have and account with the real E-ON.

I would be pleased to be told whether E-ON is genuine or not.

E-ON Next is a genuine supply company, but that does not mean your e-mails are genuine.

Why not contact E-ON by phone on the number on your bills and put your concerns to them? If they have transferred payments to E-ON Next then they would be able to confirm this, probably even giving you the new banking details as proof of this. They could e-mail this information to you too, that would confirm all is OK and if it’s not then at least you will have proof you have contacted them and received confirmation so have done all you can.

2 Likes

Yes I agree, Baz…its strange how they didn’t advise @Mr_Magoo of this change though. It seems to come out of the blue. That makes me suspicious…I would phone them up just to check :+1:

It’s their new trading name = Electricity and gas supplier | Renewable energy | E.ON Next (eonnext.com)

I was awaiting a delivery via our La Poste, it had left its UK destination on the 27th October and normally the transit time is less than a week.
It is was now the 5th November and they are looking for a review as they had sent out an email about that.
…I contacted them and they said they would sent out a replacement with the required signature this time…
Soon after I got a strange email from the La Poste saying the label was missing and they required me to contact them and let them know my Address…The email was in large and small cases all varied so straight away it looked like a false one…Then on the Saturday they had left me a ticket to collect it with a tax bill of 21 Euros to pay…that was no a scam but for some strange reason the company in the UK had not charged me the VAT so had to pay it this end…I also had to phone the company again to stop the 2nd delivery…Sometimes just walking into a shop and buying it off the shelf has got to be so so much easier.
You really do have to be on the ball though with so many false emails flying about…
…Then there are the ones that are genuine but for example…Your needing a quick response for a new travel card that would be free to have.
…But there are other companies that will offer to get that card to you really fast.’‘phone this number and order it though us’’…of course the phone number is a premium rate one… costing you an arm and a leg,…

1 Like

I’m with EON Next … who were originally just EON before they were bought out.

Oh, they’re genuine alright but I’d treat any unexpected e-mails from anyone after money as suspicious.
Do they not send you a paper bill which has a genuine e-mail address to contact them ?

I send all my meter readings in to them via e-mail to their customer services department.

1 Like

I am still suspicious. Why would a genuine associate of E-ON use a different account number for me and why do these emails/letters/text messages never quote my meter readings?

Personally I would take all you comment on as signs of it possibly being a scam. The only way to find out would be either to telephone them and get to the truth of it all, or leave it and if it’s genuine then you can be sure they would be wanting their money, after all that is the only reason companies usually contact us either originally or subsequently if they are not paid.

Also I would expect to be notified of any payment changes. Whatever has happened, if this is genuine, they have not followed the usual and expected requirements to notify you and they should have done.

Another thing. Phoning the ‘genuine’ E-ON isn’t a realistic choice. You are only allowed specific issues to call them and there isn’t an ‘anything else’ option.

If you’ve got a different account number I’d be highly suspicious and disregard it as a scam, especially if you think you’re uptodate with your account.

Thesedays you really can’t take any chances or before you find out you were wise to be cautious someone has nabbed your money.

I don’t know if this is any help Mr Magoo
This is the email I use every month to update my meter readings, though it’s actually their customer service email.
If you find yourself worrying over it perhaps you could drop these a line?

hi@eonnext.com

In that case then bide your time, if you genuinely owe them money they will contact you again. If it’s a scam then you will hear nothing more. I’ve had communications stating money is owed and to pay click on this link, pay by using this account etc., etc. Knowing all my finances are in order I disregard these and nothing ever happens, so proving they were scams.

What have you to lose by disregarding it? Nothing at all as they definitely will contact you if there genuinely is any money owed.

1 Like

They do ‘come back’. I am inundated by frequent reminders by email, text messages and printed paper through the post.

I remain unconvinced that E-ON Next is a proper legal agency of E-ON. I think the following points justify my disbelief.

Firstly, the official E-ON website contains no reference to E-ON Next. That is clearly suspicious.

Secondly, these demands contain no reference to my meter readings. Thirdly, there is no mention of my previous transactions.

This seems to justify my suspicion that they only know my name, postal address, email address and mobile phone number. Those can be obtained on the internet. The other things (meter readings and previous transactions) cannot.

That does sound rather as if it’s genuine but I can understand your concerns. A call to them would answer all your queries but you’ve said this has difficulties in there are only certain categories they will deal with.

How about this which I found online, it mentions about changing over from E-ON so might be of help to you. Wording that caught my eye related to both the names E-ON and E-ON Next:

Many thanks, Baz46. I have been proved wrong. The link you sent me shows that the E-ON website itself gives a link to E-ON Next. I must pay this amount. I feel a bit of an idiot though they could have explained themselves better.

1 Like

I really must agree that companies fail miserably in keeping their customers updated with new information, Mr Magoo…no wonder everyone gets confused and wary of them. Glad you seem to have it sorted out now though :+1:

You are welcome, just good that you now have it sorted. It always pays to be very careful these days. Nobody should have these problems though, they definitely could have done better in explaining what had happened though. Perhaps a complaint to them might just be worth it, you cannot be the only customer to have found this a problem.
:thinking: :grinning: