Is Cash Still King?

Did you ask for your fiver back!

I remember talk of a “cashless society” coming soon, 40 or 50 years ago, when I got my Barclaycard. But it never happened until contactless; now the most fundamental, a bottle of milk is bought cashless.

1 Like

Yep, and to some degree technology backed my case up, the register in the shop was able to call the transaction up some 30 minutes later and the mistake was obvious, bear in mind this was my local shop and the shopkeeper is well aware of our transactions, might have been a different outcome in some unknown establishment.

1 Like

Good on you!

At least if the is another Viking invasion, there will be very little Pillaging going on :icon_wink:

they won’t find any spam in my larder. :neutral_face:

Give me plastic every time.
You have a carry a purse that gets weighed down with shrapnel , worst of all there’s the shuffling around for the correct change !
Card is king .

Trouble with plastic is the VAT!!!

I agree with you. About once a month I withdraw about $500 to keep in my wallet basically for emergencies or paying tradesmen (for a cash discount) - I use my credit card for just about everything else.

1 Like

Shhhh we don’t do VAT avoidance do we :joy:

And even if they do and even buy gold coins or bitcoins to prepare for a financial meltdown or Armageddon, I’ve always wondered how they could practically use them to, say , get hold of bread? In those situations they wouldn’t swap it for paper money any more, would they? It seems to be reassuring to sleep on gold but no one has ever really tested its practical value if the worst comes to the worst. Why buy gold then? Too much theory and no practical use.

I keep thinking this thread is about Johnnie Cash .

Nah, Elvis was the King.

That’s true but you probably have to first get a grip on the use of the word in Australia. It has many meanings.

Chas is still king, long live the king.

Hi

VAT, known in Shropshire as voluntary additional tax.:smiley:

1 Like

I often wondered how my ex allotment shop would cope in a cashless society. Erm, very well, actually! The council forbade the committee from opening during lock down so purchasers had to do bank transfers, with one volunteer only allowed inside, to pack up the items and leave outside the shop. They then bought a card machine. Talking to my friend a couple of days ago she said the shop opens fully, with volunteers, in a few weeks, no cash!! Business is booming, so good luck to them.

I don’t like the idea of cash being fully dropped in favour of other methods, even though I can do online banking and use cards. It’s the elderly I feel sorry for.