Internet speed

I have a few friends who use this too but it is only if you have a 4G connection when you should get about 25+Mbps up and 30+Mbps down but like all these things it depends on congestion and it costs a lot more than ADSL or fibre too

I was wondering about costs as he is very short of dosh at the best of times. Will enquire how much he pays. I do remember him telling me how much at one time and I was a bit taken aback as to how little it was compared to how much I thought it would be. Maybe he has found a damn good deal somewhere - will ask.

To answer the original question, yes speeds are dependent on quality of the cable and the distance you are from the exchange. If BT (or Virginmedia for that matter) decide to convert 100% of the country to fibre optic cabling it will improve somewhat but as far as I’m aware they have no plans to do that.

I think it depends on the line, but also the ISP.

We used to have Virgin, to begin with it was great, then went downhill. We changed to SKY and for years it has been brilliant (much better than virgin - both through the telephone line) however, this last year it has been getting rubbish… I think it’s because fibre has just been released here and they want us to upgrade! :lol:

I have just been told by a neighbour that the reason our broadband connection is so poor is because there is a fault under the road outside the village hall.

Because there is only one small lane into our hamlet, if BT dug up the road we wouldn’t be able to get to our houses, (there are 19 houses in all) so they are reluctant to do anything about the fault.

I wish they would consult us, I would be happy to park down the road for a few days and walk across planks though I understand some people may be concerned about our being inaccessible to the emergency services .

just did a check out of all the internet providers and the highest download speed even with fibre is 67 download. That is disgusting , at the moment all I get is about 34 down and 6 up which is even worse. just not worth even considering changing comp[anies

1 Like

Well I’m with Vodaphone and for this time of night (9:11pm) my readings are:

Download - 11.35

Upload - 10.72

I tested it with https://www.speedtest.net/

I have no idea if this is good or not :woman_shrugging:

Virgin Media
386 mbps download
35 mbps upload

@Vlad must be due to gravity imo ?
:thinking::thinking: