International Borders to Open Next Month

Australian Prime Minister, Scotty from Marketing, has announced the international border will reopen next month (November) for states that have reached 80 per cent vaccination rates, starting with New South Wales.

Fully vaccinated Australians and permanent residents arriving in NSW will be able to home quarantine for a week, instead of paying thousands to quarantine at a hotel for a fortnight, pending the success of the state’s home quarantine trial.

Unvaccinated travellers will be required to hotel quarantine for a fortnight.

3 Likes

I hope that turns out okay since despite lockdowns for months, cases in some places are at a record high.

1 Like

Melbourne is in Victoria, the post specifically mentions NSW as the port of arrival, it all hinges on vaccinations. The state borders are still closed.

The report says it STARTS in NSW and says that as other states reach 80% vaccination rates they will open too.

That’s correct.

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has said that the Chinese-made Sinovac and the Indian-made Covishield vaccines would be considered “recognised vaccines” when determining whether an incoming international traveller has been appropriately vaccinated.

The recognition of those vaccines will remove a significant barrier for international students seeking to study in Australia.

There is also a slight administrative problem for Australians travelling overseas who have been vaccinated with the AZ vaccine because it was made in Australia. It will not automatically be recognised like the European made AZ

Would you know the reason for that Bruce?

We could not have the Basic Flu Vaccine last Autumn, after getting the runaround it was soon clear that France had NO stocks of it, less than a month after we had received our prescriptions to obtain it, they had run out of it.

If you mean the approval of the Australian made AZ, it is really just an admin detail for other countries to deal with, in the same way that we accepted the Sinovax etc as being an approved vaccine even though it is not approved for use in Australia.

1 Like

I wonder if there is any chance Brisbane would open up next year for non Australian tourists. That is on my next bucket list seeing Sydney and Great barrier reef as well. there also a wedding i would love to go to even as not an invited guest