Interesting facts

Alexa plays 100,000,000 songs. How many can you sing along to?

1 Like

Cockerels 

1. They feel empathy

Researchers have shown that when a hen’s chicks become distressed — she does, too! Her heart starts beating faster and she’ll increase vocalisations to her little ones.

Cute little chicken chicks sitting comfortably under the wings of their mother chicken

2. They Dream

Ever dreamt you could fly? It probably would have happened during REM sleep, which is associated with dreaming. Birds experience REM too 
 One can only imagine the kind of dreams they must be having!

Two chickens sleeping in the day light, perhaps day dreaming

3. They’re all individuals (just like us)

Some of us like finding a quiet corner to read, others want to be the life of the party — and chickens are the same (minus the book and the DJ). Every hen has her own likes and dislikes, and favourite things to do in her spare time. There are of course, the simple pleasures in life that they all enjoy sharing — like sunshine, fresh air and a warm and comfy place to sleep.

4. They’re super smart

A recent study has shown that chickens are intelligent and emotional animals, and are able to “demonstrate thinking skills on par with mammals and primates“. If you hide an object from a chicken, they will still know it’s there — this is something even young human kids aren’t able to do.

A chicken looking at herself in the mirror

5. They nail the art of nurturing

You don’t get much more motherly than a hen — she’s a warm, cuddly bundle of love when it comes to her chicks. While she can’t spit on a tissue to wipe the dirt off their cheeks — she will fuss over them like there’s no tomorrow, keeping them protected from anything that they’re too little to defend themselves against, like predators or the cold. She’ll home school them, too — teaching them the ways of chickenhood so they’ll be as wise as she is when they grow up.

They nail the art of nurturing

6. They’ve got the gift of the gab

We hear cluck, begerk and bokbok — but there’s a lot more to it than that. Chickens are effectively talking to each other in a language we may never understand. Chickens make distinct sounds that could mean anything from ‘OMG guys I found some food’ to ‘Hey kids, get back here where I can see you’.

CUTE FACT:

A mother hen will start communicating with her chicks while they’re still in the egg — this way, when they hatch, they’ll already recognise her voice.

A chicken singing with his open mouth

7. They’re nosey (in a good way)

A chicken’s beak isn’t just designed to collect food and water, and chat with friends. It’s full of sensory receptors and nerves that enable them to distinguish between types of food, and interact with the world around them. This, coupled with their natural curiosity, means chickens LOVE to explore and try new experiences.

A chicken curiously looking towards camera

8. They just want to be themselves

One thing every person lucky enough to know chickens knows to be true — is that these animals just love being themselves. But tragically, millions of these sensitive and intelligent animals are never given the chance to know even the most basic joys, hidden away behind the closed doors of factory farms. Thankfully, you don’t have to adopt a chicken (although you probably are thinking about it right now, right?) to be kind to them.

A chick sitting comfortably under the wings of his mother chicken

Seeing chickens a little differently now?

chicken-bro-police

5 Likes

One of my BH’s customers has chickens.They are all very friendly especially the brown ones and like to be carried about.

3 Likes

I love this about chickens! I had some when I was little, but didn’t pay much attention to their little quirks at the time. Now I want some more (but there are foxes and cats around here, so probably unlikely)

2 Likes

8 Likes

Temperature

Degree Celsius

Fahrenheit
:rofl:

2 Likes

My field was electrical engineering. Always degC. My wife used degF but she is American.

Well spotted Di
 :+1:

4 Likes
3 Likes

I wish they would do that more often.Give us a break from listening about horrible rich old men and children being bombed and starved.

2 Likes

The inhabitants of Tasmania refer to the Australian mainland as 
 North Island.

2 Likes

I saw a documentary about a woman who keeps chickens, and how wonderfully emotional they are , very touching.

I can’t stand animal mistreatment. A massive octopus farm is being planned in The Canary Islands, so depressIng

2 Likes

Yes, the octopus farm does ring a bell with me from a while ago I think. Its disgusting, frankly and I hope it doesn’t go ahead

1 Like

I saw this last night
I want to go there!

These rocks make a melodic sound / note when hit with a metal hammer, so much so that you can form a tune with them. They don’t make the sound when taken away on their own though!

Is this where “rock music” came from? :laughing:

4 Likes

2 Likes

That would be a ruddy long sign post.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de PorciĂșncula

Our Lady, Queen of the Angels, or simply Our Lady refers to Mary (mother of Jesus) in the Catholic world.

Portiuncula, a word no longer used, means unpredictable. The Unpredictable River is now called the Los Angeles River.

3 Likes

Bet you didn’t know

• It is impossible for most people to lick their own elbow. (try it!)
  • A crocodile cannot stick its tongue out.
  • A shrimp’s heart is in its head.
  • It is physically impossible for pigs to look up into the sky.
  • The “sixth sick sheik’s sixth sheep’s sick” is believed to be the toughest tongue twister in the English language.
  • If you sneeze too hard, you could fracture a rib.
  • Wearing headphones for just an hour could increase the bacteria in your ear by 700 times.
  • In the course of an average lifetime, while sleeping you might eat around 70 assorted insects and 10 spiders, or more.
  • Some lipsticks contain fish scales.
  • Cat urine glows under a black-light.
  • Like fingerprints, everyone’s tongue print is different.
  • Rubber bands last longer when refrigerated.
  • There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.
  • The average person’s left hand does 56% of the typing (when using the proper position of the hands on the keyboard; Hunting and pecking doesn’t count!).
  • A shark is the only known fish that can blink with both eyes.
  • The longest one-syllable words in the English language are “scraunched” and “strengthed.” Some suggest that “squirreled” could be included, but squirrel is intended to be pronounced as two syllables (squir-rel) according to most dictionaries. “Screeched” and “strengths” are two other long one-syllable words, but they only have 9 letters.
  • “Dreamt” is the only English word that ends in the letters “mt”.
  • Almonds are a member of the peach family.
  • Maine is the only state that has a one-syllable name.
  • There are only four words in the English language which end in “dous”: tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.
  • Los Angeles’ full name is “El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula”
  • A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.
  • An ostrich’s eye is bigger than its brain.
  • Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.
  • In many advertisements, the time displayed on a watch is 10:10.
  • The characters Bert and Ernie on Sesame Street were named after Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi driver in Frank Capra’s “It’s a Wonderful Life.”
  • A dime has 118 ridges around the edge.
  • The giant squid has the largest eyes in the world.
  • Most people fall asleep in seven minutes.
  • “Stewardesses” is the longest word that is typed with only the left hand.
4 Likes

4 Likes