Indoor Plants

Which succulents do you have that are dying Annie?
I only keep Aloe Vera’s as I use the sap on insect bites in the summer.

I thought it was an aloe but I killed it and I don’t know what I did wrong

Sounds very much like over watering if it had gone black in the centre then, Annie.
Also -
How often did you water it?
Did you use tap water or rain water?
Did you ever feed it?
What type of compost was it in?

Thank you. I just do the pics.

3 Likes

yep tap water, no feed, compost from the supermarket (original pot) no feed. I may have over watered but was not sure of how much / little as instructions were vague. I probably didn’t deserve it as had no idea how to look after it.

Yes I suspect over watering Annie.
They need a free draining, light, sandy compost, Cactus or Succulent compost is best.
They come from Africa really, so are used to being on the warm and dry side.

Found this for you:

• Water aloe vera plants deeply, but infrequently. In other words, the soil should feel moist after watering, but should be allowed to dry out to some extent before you water again. If the soil stays overly wet, the plant’s roots can rot.

• To ensure that you’re not overwatering your plant, allow the top third of potting soil to dry out between waterings. For example, if your plant is kept in 6 inches of potting soil, allow the top 2 inches to dry out before watering again. (Use your finger to test the dryness of the soil.)

• Generally speaking, plan to water your aloe plant about every 2-3 weeks in the spring and summer and even more sparingly during the fall and winter.

Nice little Coleus, Besoeker.

I am so glad I found this thread! I was going to ask (start a thread) about houseplants, because I had loads at my old place which didn’t survive the move. Now I have started again with a gang of geraniums and begonias, and hoping to build on that once more. Great photos & info here, I’ll need to add to it! :+1:

1 Like

Hi

I like them and have quite a few

As I am not always home, thinking of replacing them with quality artificials

What sorts do you have, Swim?

Hi

Nice ones.:bouquet::hibiscus::rose:.

No idea Mups, just buy them if I like them and hope that I don’t kill them.

1 Like

But I don’t understand how do you know their needs if you don’t know what they are? :thinking:
Some need completely different fertilisers to others, and even different water.
For example, tap water would kill my Carnivorous plants. :cherry_blossom:

Because of a nosy Cat - the only indoor plants I have are my kitchen herbs - Rosemary, Mint, Parsley, Chives, Basil, Thyme, Dill, Oregano, Sage, and Marjoram.
Well out of his reach … unless he learns to fly.

Hi
That’s why some die Mups.

I buy just on looks.

Artificial don’t die and don’t need watering when I’m not at home.

I am good with veggies however.

1 Like

Does anyone go in and water your veggies, and feed your fish when you are away?

Had lovely gentle rain here all night, thank goodness.

I have artificial Ivy hanging down from the bookshelves…it always looks so lush and full all year round, A quick dust, and a bath once a month, sorted :+1:

Edited to say - I’ll try and find the company for you…based in England, and such a lovely lady to deal with.

1 Like

Is that you, or the Ivy? :rofl:

1 Like

Haha! Mups, why, me of course! :joy:

1 Like

Hi

Fish are fed daily, but just ordered an automatic feeder to save money.

Wendy does the garden twice a week, polytunnel on a timer.

1 Like

Sounds like you have everything under control - except your health, Swimmy!