In the garden today

Thanks Muddy.

No, I leave them out.
Group them together, loosely tie the leaves together to protect frost getting in the ‘crown’.
Put some bark chippings over exposed soil to help keep the frost out, then wrap the pot in bubble wrap.

It’s a bit of a pain, the winter protection, but I haven’t got a greenhouse to move them into.

If it was really severe prolonged cold, I will drop one of those ‘Bell’ cloches over each plant too.

My chilli harvest

They start off green. I use these to cook but also allow some of them to ripen on the vine.

When ripened, they turn red. I dry them in the sun for a month or so and crush them into chilli flakes or I use them whole for cooking. The sun gives the chilli a lovely smoky flavour.

3 Likes

3 Likes

We grew some in a small greenhouse last year. They are now dried. We only use a small quantity at a time unless you really love a lot of spicy meals. Grinding into flakes and keeping in a small jar seems a good idea. Our seasons are totally different as it is still springtime here in Angleterre.

1 Like

1 Like

At last got a company to work on our 4 oak trees by rmoving dead branches / garden overhangs. The silly old “btch” in one of the gardens gave the tree chappie a right mouthfull saying she was going to sue for damage to her small flower bed. She knew it was going to happen sometime as I had shown her the letter from the council. she should be pleased as less acorns and oak leaves for her to clear up.
she lives in the road behind our house and none of her neighbours have anything to do with her.

Perhaps her “small” flower bed is her pride and joy? Maybe that is all she has to keep her happy - who knows? Its a bit unfair calling her names because she gets upset that people are standing all over it, don’t you think?

1 Like

She was one of the neighbours who wanted the tree cut back originally. kept complaining about acorns and oak tree leaves getting onto her grass

I’ve just tried one of the chilli’s I’ve grown for the first time. They’re like eating lumps of burning coal. 🫨
I made a madras (which is quite hot to begin with) and put half a chilli in my portion. It was like having a gob full of thermite. :fire: I had to pour over half a tub of natural yogurt just to be able to eat it. :hot_face: :joy:

2 Likes

Right, let me get this straight in my head.
Your tree is causing a mess in a neighbours garden, ruining her plants, so she complains.
You eventually get round to sorting it out, making sure she is very aware of the fact by showing her the letter.
And now you are being very harsh towards her because she is upset that her garden is likely going to be further ruined by tree cutters stomping all over her plants.

The very least you could do is buy her some new plants / offer to help clear up the mess / tell the tree cutters to avoid ruining her garden.

Your tree = Your mess = You help clear it up without further damage.

Totally wrong . I can’t be liable for what workmen do. Maybe you should study the law before commenting

@realspeed I cannot bring myself to say something other than those are harsh words to say of anyone let alone a neighbour.

Surely you do not mean what you write “Totally wrong . I can’t be liable for what workmen do. Maybe you should study the law before commenting” surely you would not appreciate someone doing the same to your garden. A little care and thought rather than name calling and ignoring may be more gentlemanly/neighbourlyemphasised text

1 Like

as you both have not the slightest idea of the situationlet me enlighten you. This person has been complaining since we moved in 9/10 years about that leafs and acorns falling in her garden and been asking me to do something about it. As the trees have P.T.0’s I am restricted to the work allowed . this amount to removing dead branches and cleaning trhe trunks.
next step was to ent the environmental officer of the council to see what he would allow. Site visit areement of removal of 4 mters overal of the branches. GREAT ! yes? ern no. This guy was two faced with no guts and allowed only 1 mtr. no surgeon and we had several look and said impossible to do.
So been to a lot of trouble to go down the “legal” route and all the neighbours said ok ,including her. Today managed to get someone to carry out the work. when started climbing the trees huge branches were rotten, even those looking ok had gone at the ends

photo. not even 1% of what was removed

my concern was what if one fell on a person??? so for safety we are getting the work carried out’
This "lady " kicked up a fuss saying she was going to sue if a couple of her roses were damaged.
Just think would could have happened if she was in the garden. so the workmen went around and cleared up everthing for her and no damage caused. Next thing she was asking them to attend to her oak tree as well.
video of work needed doing. our garden in almost complete darkness most of the day

now

just the far end tree to do and allowing the sun light through

after all this some dotty lady, who is only there some of the time, it was her mums house, and she can’t let it go. would be ideal for a young family

believe me to get this far has been a battle over 18 months. So a neighbour on the other side of my fence who raised no objections with the planning application. was shown out of courtesy to her by myself the council decision ,starts complaining about her bloody roses getting damaged (which they wern’t) I think i have every right to call her what I did