In pictures: Stunning Wolf Moon dazzles around the world

Each month, the full Moon has a different traditional name.

January’s Wolf Moon is thought to refer to the time of year when wolves are more vocal, ahead of the February breeding season.

Amazing … :open_mouth:

:wolf:

4 Likes

What a great pictures !

triffic piccies, kept my bedroom alight all night

I find the recent trend in giving every full moon its traditional name a bit irritating to be honest. Hunters Moon and Harvest Moon are fine - the rest you can have. By the way, what’s the name given to a second full moon in January?

Almost always when a second full moon occurs in any given month, it is called a Blue Moon.

I use the term “Once in a blue moon” more often than it actually happens. :laughing:

Takahashi, take a look at this explanation:

" More recently, the term Blue Moon has been applied to the second full moon within a single calendar month. There are roughly 29.5 days between full moons, making it unusual for two full moons to fit into a 30 or 31-day-long month."

(I didn’t think there were 2 full moons this month though)?

Hah, Snap, Righty. :grinning:

For anyone interested, there is a calendar for all the various named moons in 2022.
No Blue ones this year though.

Yes, I did know about the Blue Moon but thought the media might have thought of a cute little name for it. Anyway, no blue moons this year.

Where did that quote come from? I only ask because it’s not that unusual - it only takes for a full moon to occur at the beginning of the month for there to be second one before the following month arrives. I know that we now refer to a second full moon as a blue moon but, again, I think this might be a modern thing. I have an old book somewhere and I’m pretty certain the only reference to a blue moon was one that occurred sometime in the 1950s, and that was due to an earthquake throwing up some dust into the atmosphere and giving the moon a bluish odour. I might be wrong here but I’ll check that out in the next few days.

Mr. Google. :grinning:

I assume you meant the calendar link?

Yes, I thought you might have used Google. Anyway, two full moons in February would be rare but not impossible. Again, and only referring to my memory here, I think we had two February full moons during the last twenty or thirty years. I’ll have to check that but seem to remember reading about it in a publication some time ago.

Speaking of rare celestial events; my daughter was born on Easter Sunday in 1989. The next time her birthday falls on Easter Sunday will be in 2062. I won’t live to see it. Hopefully she will.

Right, managed to get my act together today and follow up on last night’s post. It wasn’t two full moons in February, as I thought, but no full moon in a February, containing 28 or 29 days. The following Q&A is what I was referring to:

Everyone knows there can be two full Moons in a month. Is it possible to have no full Moon in a February containing 28 days?

Yes, but only about four times in a century. This happened in 1999 and will next occur in 2018, assuming the phases are expressed in Universal Time. When February has no full Moon, January and March typically have two full Moons each (the second being widely hailed as a blue Moon). Much rarer is a 29-day February (in a leap year) with no full Moon. According to Peter Macdonald (Journal of the British Astronomical Association, December 1998, page 324), this oddity occurred in 1608 and won’t happen again until 2572.

So, no full moon in February of a leap year is a pretty rare event, or non-event!

Next full moon is 16th Feb, but its not a blue one.