In a contest, would you give a competitor help if you didn't need it?

I’ve been watching a lot of cooking competition shows. In some of them, you only get one shot to get all the supplies you need to cook the dish. Sometimes in the excitement of the battle, people forget to get the main ingredient.

They then go looking around to see if anyone else will help them out and give them the ingredient they need. If all the other people say no, that contestant will lose that round and likely lose the competition.

I have not once seen it happen where someone doesn’t help the person out. In the last season, the person who helped out ended up winning the whole contest.

But some people say it was bad strategy. It was an easy way to get rid of an opponent. Other people say that having integrity shows you won fair and square.

Which would you do? Give the item or let them lose?

• Give the item
  • Let them lose

0 voters

I would offer to give the item if I had sufficient to spare. Not to do so would IMO would put me at an unfair advantage. To my way of thinking, the competition is all about the skills needed and not an infallible memory.

5 Likes

I’d poison the competition to DEATH :069:

1 Like

I’m not competitive at all so I’d probably just give it to them if I did need it if winning was really important to them

But then I wouldn’t enter a competition to start with, :rofl:

I would do the same as what @LongDriver said - and I couldn’t phrase it any better than he already has. :+1: :cupcake:

2 Likes

It depends if there was any prize money at stake … I’m a sucker for wads of money.

2 Likes

For Master Chef it’s $250,000. That’s some incentive.

1 Like

You’ve sold it to me … :smiley: how do I enter!

1 Like

Brush up on your cooking? Unless you’re already a great chef.

Here’s some details for Master Chef UK. It’s still going. Couldn’t find the prize money amount. The $250K is the US amount but I’m guessing it’s comparable.

Good luck! :pie: :smiley:

It was said many years ago that money is the root of all evil and this is where most open competitions fall down. Make the prize a simple average cost trophy with the winners name engraved on it, then greed is removed from the driving force.

2 Likes

Cor, yeah!

I’m not competitive in the sense I want to prove I’m best at something and have the glory and defeat the opposition. I used to slip my brother my Monopoly money when he wasn’t looking so he’d win, he just really liked winning and I couldn’t care less :thinking:

But if the prize was something worth having or the consequences of losing nasty that might be different. It would depend how much I liked the other competitor?

It made me think of that Dr Who series where the losers on a TV game show were killed or on got painful cosmetic surgery

You wouldn’t share your ingredients then, would you? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer, hahahahah

I think you’d have to enter the US Masterchef to grab that $250,000 cash prize - here in UK, your prize is the coveted Masterchef Trophy with no prize money.
(plus the earning opportunities it may open up for a career in cooking / TV/ cookery writing etc)

According to this article, the competition terms and rewards differ between US, UK and Australia.

Masterchef Prizes / Rewards

1 Like