If you had to choose between drinking only tea or only coffee for the rest of your life, which would it be?

Coffee for me, never been a great tea drinker. But I am fussy about my coffee, it has to be made to my taste and not so strong you could dance the Highland Fling on it.

2 Likes

The coffee heads have pulled ahead. Where are you, tea drinkers?

Wasn’t there some stereotype about nations and coffee vs tea? What happened to that? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Of course the coffee drinkers have pulled ahead, its in the nature of things.
What tea drinkers butterscotch? :wink:

th-1911339746

Who are yer!!!
Who are yer!!!
Who are yer!!!

And other sundry chants from the terraces :soccer::+1::slightly_smiling_face::coffee:

2 Likes

The vote was 50/50 when I just looked - it made me realise I hadn’t voted yet - so I just did - the vote is now on a par with the Brexit vote 48/52 ! :wink:

3 Likes

Coffee was more popular than tea in the UK in the early days.

Tea has pulled ahead again, as it should.

Go tea! :clap::mega::tea::teapot:

The early days was in the 18th century. Are you saying something about people’s ages here? :face_with_raised_eyebrow::upside_down_face::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

A mere blip!
Sanity will prevail :coffee::coffee::coffee::+1:

1 Like

Only Twats pay £3 for a cup of hot beverage :grin:

(Just to feel cosmopolitan)

Putting the “special relationship” to the test.

1 Like

I’ve just seen that article about tea-making in the US on the National ITV News - I loved the tongue in cheek humorous reply from The US Embassy, especially that last sentence! :joy: Brilliant!

1 Like

2 Likes

This one?

1 Like

I thought the whole message was humorous @butterscotch but it was the final sentence I found most amusing.

“The US embassy will continue to make tea in the proper way – by microwaving it.”

:rofl:

(If you missed it the first time round, this refers to an old joke from The US Embassy posted on International Tea Day a couple of years ago - see link below)

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. :slight_smile:

I bought a kettle in 2022, thinking I’d drink hot water and tea all the time. For the first few months, I used it a lot. Right now, it’s a just a water pitcher. Maybe if I grew up using one, it would be different. :potable_water:

In U.K., domestic electric voltage is much higher than in US - about double the voltage, I think?
I expect the wattage of an electric kettle for use in US would have to be lower and take twice as long to boil.
Maybe that’s one reason Americans don’t find an electric kettle as quick and convenient as we Brits do?

2 Likes

Evidently so. I didn’t realize that. Thanks for the info. I just looked it up.

It didn’t bother me though. I don’t like my water to be so hot. It didn’t take that long for it to get to slow boil. For me, room temperature water vs. hot water wasn’t worth the extra minute. I don’t drink that much tea. . . .

. . . . even though tea is the winning answer, @Chilliboot

I really look forward to my morning coffee. It’s made on the stove in a proper old fashioned espresso pot. Boiled milk is then frothed up in a cafetiere. So an absolutely delicious latte every day. There is no way I would want to give that up.

I was thinking about what would happen if the supply of tea and coffee stopped abruptly. There would be riots on the streets. This came to mind because I was thinking how very fortunate we are to be able to go into a shop and buy coffee or tea which has been grown on the other side of the world. We take this so much for granted.

1 Like

I am pretty sure that despite this manufacturers have been fiddling with kettles to ensure that the boiling stops before the water is 100% at boiling point (for eco reasons). It seems that the water only stays at the perfect heat for a very short time and I’m sure that never used to happen.

It certainly didn’t Annie :wink:
No eco considerations, apps, Bluetooth etc back in the day.

1 Like

Tea Bellies are a dying breed!!!

1 Like