I’ve spent four years walking the UK: I left a broken man but am returning with a dog, girlfriend and baby

• A longish read, but very heartwarming.
    He finishes up by saying: I started a lost man and will finish the happiest man alive – and with a family

• Awww! :heart_eyes_cat:

5 Likes

A lovely story.

1 Like

Oh I do love happy endings! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Thank god when I go on a walk about the most I come home with is a load of photos. Grats to him! I think everyone should shuck it all and give it a go. It’s completely freeing, no responsibilities. Plenty of time to get your head on straight. :grinning:

1 Like

Nice and uplifting story…

1 Like

Aye, its a tempting idea for sure…I’d love to do something like this, but in Summer, not Winter :joy: My head is aligned most days, I think :thinking: But on days it isn’t…I could easily grab the backpack and go :joy:

1 Like

Wonderful story.
I have to ask, does your Metro paper not have a proofreader? The title surely should say “I’m NO longer the broken man I was”.

Maybe there is a job opening for a retired person who nitpicks?? :blush:

2 Likes

Well spotted RN! I couldn’t alter it as its copy & paste, but yes…I’ll pass on your name to them and advise them they need to get their act together! :joy:

I knew I could count on you, Pix! :rofl:

1 Like

Fantastic.I’ve got nothing but admiration for all of them.We were without power for just 3 days recently and found that almost impossible :slight_smile:

Such an incredible story!!! Happiness at long last!

It certainly made a nice change from the usual doom and gloom in the papers. You have to admire him … how self reliant to dig himself out of a hole on his own, alone.
And to make new friends, two legged and four legged.

What a truly heartwarming story! It reminded me a bit of the book The Salt Path, about a couple who had hit rock bottom with their finances, lost their farm and their livelihood, and literally walked away with just what they could carry in a couple of backpacks. This was only days after the author, Raynor Winn, learned of her husband’s terminal illness. They decided to walk the South West Coastal Path, all 630 miles of it because, quite literally, they had nowhere to go and virtually no money, so why not?

If you haven’t read this truly life affirming book, I can thoroughly recommend it!

There used to be proofreaders but I doubt there are any these days, grammar and spell checkers that cannot get things correct seem to have taken over, unfortunately. There used to be an organisation called ACP (Associated Correctors of the Press) but I doubt that exists nowadays.

I’ve been looking for a vacancy like that for a few years since I retired, no luck as yet though. Local magazines are the worst for errors I reckon, I found a typical error only yesterday – ‘Forward’ instead of ‘Foreword’ for the subheading of the introductory item, by of all people THE EDITOR!
:thinking: :frowning_face:

1 Like

That’s lovely

@Bathsheba I have just looked up the book The Salt Path and see she has written another Hmmm Christmas is a coming

Can I recommend to you “Where the Crawdads sing”

1 Like

I watched a programme on TV about Chris and his story a few weeks ago :slightly_smiling_face: it was very interesting .The Long Walk Home

1 Like

Yes I’ve yet to read her second book, but it’s on my list! Oh and Where the Crawdads Sing, what an amazing book - I read it last year, it took my breath away!

Brilliant isn’t it.

1 Like

@Bathsheba Have you read The Man in the Tent: My Life under Canvas - The First Four Years

1 Like

No, I haven’t even come across that one! I shall investigate, thanks for the heads up :024:

1 Like