I Think More Should Be Done To Protect Endangered Animals

Yes, success. On a small scale, for sure.
The Eastern Spotted Quoll population has been extinct on the Mainland of Australia for at least 50 years. It only survives in Tasmania. 20 Quolls bred in Tasmania were released into New South Wales and follow up pouch checks have discovered 15 babies in 3 adults.

Litter of Quoll Pups

“Give me a Teat”
Tiny Spotted Quoll

Quolls are indigenous to mainland Australia, New Guinea, and Tasmania.
The six species were once found all across the three land masses, but are now restricted to only a few areas.
Although primarily ground-dwelling, they have developed secondary arboreal characteristics. (they climb trees)
Quolls are carnivorous marsupials. They are primarily nocturnal, sleeping in hollowed-out logs or rocky dens and coming out to hunt during the night, though on rare occasions they can be seen looking for prey during the day.

2 Likes

Oh so true, I can do with a lot more protection from “er indoors” :rofl:

1 Like

How cute are these !

1 Like

My thoughts exactly! They are adorable.

1 Like

While I have seen Quolls in Tassie and they are cute, it is hard to go past a Quokka for sheer cuteness. I have never seen one except in pictures but their cuteness factor is immense.

Obviously not my photos

3 Likes

They are very tame.
There are 10,000 of them on Rottnest Island which is a lot, given that the island is only 19sq km.

Never heard of these either but they are cute too .

1 Like

Well thats a first for me,how cute are they.
I hope their tameness isn`t their downfall,we all know how stupid some humans can be.

Just type “Quokka” into Youtube, there are plenty of videos of them

1 Like

There is no danger of them disappearing.
There was an incident on the island 6 years ago when a 21 year old man kicked a Quokka into a wall. His friend filmed it and uploaded the video.
He was fined $3,500 and they banned from the island.
Luckily these occurrences are rare.

1 Like