I made Split Pea soup this morning

So simple.
Diced 2 large onions. Fried in olive oil until softened.
Added 2 cups of rinsed split peas,5 cups of water, dash of salt. 1 cup of peanuts.
Brought to the boil then simmered for 20 minutes.
Pureed then added pepper to taste.
Rather delicious.
)

5 Likes

I’m surprised about the peanuts. Is that to add texture?

Broccoli soup is really easy and good too. Cook broccoli, stick it in blender, with water or vegetable stock, add salt and pepper to taste. I used to like that.

3 Likes

I had some peanuts laying around. Might as well use them up. Did add a bit of texture as the nuts never totally ground up like they would on their own. Such as Peanut Butter.

3 Likes

I have said this before, never seen the point of soup, it’s not a meal because you don’t eat it with a knife and fork, so it must be a drink, if its a drink I’d rather have a beer.

Actually come to think of it I don’t mind instant soup in a mug.

3 Likes

Yeah, but you can’t dunk a wedge of warm crusty buttered homemade bread in a beer… well I suppose you could :nauseated_face::wink:

4 Likes

Bretrick it sounds very good, I going to make this sometime soon …

1 Like

30 minutes from start to finish. Simple and tasty.

1 Like

That’s true but with croutons in your one minute mug of soup you don’t need to. When we go to the club to eat we usually share an order of…

Though I am not sure I would want to dip that in my beer either.

1 Like

I’ve made similar using frozen peas delicious :yum: takes approx 10mins

3 Likes

Yep, one tin of mushy peas, a decent ham stock cube, seasoning to taste and if you have fresh mint to hand all the better. Just gradually add the stock to the peas in the pan until you get the desired consistency , blend and heat through.

4 Likes

That looks really good, brilliant Bretrick

I’m another one who doesn’t really understand soup, is it a drink or a dinner? And it always makes me really thirsty

1 Like

It is a meal, first and foremost. A bowl of Minestrone or Chicken soup with real chicken is enough on it’s own to satiate any hunger,

3 Likes

I had a split pea this morning…but but I mopped it up quickly before my wifeling saw it.

2 Likes

Very nutritious!

1 Like