I have been considering getting a dashcam

I have a Möbius that I use for many situations. Carcam, on my model aircraft as a free camera, and with the electronic mount for FPV.
Also as a spy camera that I used recently to take some video where it was not realy approved.
Here is the test video that I tried as a carcam.
Also the mount for FPV.

Dream on!

At a recent “event” on the M4 the officer spotted a car with a camera, further back.

He took the camera away as evidence after having grabbed it fairly quickly to stop it “recording over”.

I think this might be common practice.

Timely Reminder?

Those with Dash Cameras may want to check that their date & Time remains correct as the clock goes forward or back.

Be a bit embarrassing if you evidence in court was an hour out?

Also, beware of shouting rude words at idiot motorists.

If the camera records sound you may have to hear these words played back in court!

:mrgreen:

Interesting that they can do that.

I may have mentioned before that a police van which I was driving next to pulled me over and took me to task for ‘undertaking’.

I was not doing any such thing; I had just joined the main road from a slip road and was no more than keeping pace with the coppers who were in the middle lane.

The police van began to pull in to the inside lane, causing me to brake. He obviously hadn’t seen me. He then put on the blue lights and pulled me in.

After reading the riot act, he noticed my dashcam. He seemed to lose interest then for some reason and told me to go on my way.

I forgot to tell him that I hadn’t turned the thing on!

Had my Mobius for a few weeks now. Works a treat. So small and handy, portable and unassuming, yet records HD quality effortlessly.

Haven’t hard wired it at this stage. I just slip it under the sun visor every time I go anywhere and then pop it in my pocket when I leave which is handy as I can then use it to take pictures when I am out and about or video.

Brilliant little device.

Yes I did tell you so.
:smiley:

I’m on my third camera now. It’s a Nextbase (from Costco).

Sadly it only looks forward whereas the last one I had provided a forward looking camera AND a rear looking camera.

Guess what? Bumps up the rear are possibly more important than forward knocks.

You really do have to see the car running into you from behind - but you running into someone else might show as your fault.

Anyway, this one looks forward and records all the really important stuff there:- i.e. the stuff required for court cases (Date,Time ,Speed, Sound?, and Number plates at good distance).

It can also record when you are parked up at the shopping mall.

Not surprised to hear that TBH. I understand the batteries in them die after about a year which is to be expected if they are run constantly plugged into the cigarette lighter whilst recording. A dash cam should either be run straight off the batteries, or have the batteries switched out for capacitors.

Whilst that is true, it’s very hard for a person who rear ends you to mount any defence. You don’t really need footage of it. If they have run into the back of your car then they were driving to close, too fast or without due care and attention. Even if you do an emergency stop.

Just my opinion but I think it would be stupid to leave a NextBase dashcam in your car when you are parked up and not there. It will just get nicked as quickly as a Sat Nav unit would. That’s why imo, these large dashcams are a bit flawed. Too big to lug around in your pocket everywhere and too valuable to leave in the car.

Also, If you then walk round filming the other players, in an accident, you must run a big risk of overwriting the crash?

Well well well !

Who’d have thought. I just invested in 2 Mobius Action Cameras as highlighted in this thread and a few weeks later, just this week, I get a white van cutting right in front of me across the exit lanes on a roundabout causing me to pull up short, which I did without any problem. Unfortunately, the car behind me, driven by an unfortunate and very typical young lad aged 19 to 21 wasn’t paying attention and/or was driving too close and rear shunted me. I have the incident from the front on my dashcam showing the white van’s dangerous driving and number plate and as I bought 2 of these tiny matchbox sized cameras I was able to immediate get out and use the other one to video the driver that shunted me, all teh damage to his car and my own.

No chance he can run off and pretend to be someone else or pretend later that someone else was driving.

Insurance company whizzed the whole claim through, and purely on my description of the events have immediately waived my excess and restored no claims discount.

I have to say having a dashcam is a huge confidence boost and worth every penny (and they were only £55 !!!).
I carry them with me everywhere as they are so small and portable so I can quickly capture any other events too.

I told you were good.
My next door mate/neighbour gave me a ‘Nextbase’ in car cam.
He said he did not want it as he acquired a better one.
I tried it out the other day, and it worked OK.
So I bought a bigger card for it.
Today I set it up as I was going to the hospital. Turned it on and thought that it was recording. On the return journey, the thing came unstuck from the windscreen, and landed in my lap.
When I got home I plugged it into the laptop. But there was nothing recorded.
Even the date and time that I had set was not displayed.
Moral: if someone gives you something for free… it’s rubbish.
Back to my Möbius. They are good. :slight_smile: :023:

Having read the positive reviews of the Mobius on here, I have just ordered one for my wife’s car. The one in my car (Roadhawk) which I have had for a number of years now, is still working perfectly so I’m happy to keep that.

When, in the past, I have recommended a dashcam to my wife she has always seemed ambivalent. However, having seen so many idiots on the roads now (including cyclists it has to be said) I have now persuaded her that for her own safety she really should have one.

Although the Mobius camera, unlike my Roadhawk, doesn’t have GPS I feel that the most important thing is to have a video record and that GPS is not really essential. The Mobius has its advantages too: judging by the videos I’ve seen, the quality of the picture is probably better than mine, it is much smaller and less obtrusive, and also it can be used as a hand-held camera if using batteries rather than capacitors.

I ordered it from CarCameraShop, who are very helpful and quick to respond to queries online, and should have it within 3 days, hopefully.

I was wrong. Not three days, but it arrived the next day - today! Impressive!

Unfortunately, when I opened the package I found that they had not included the capacitors, although there was an extra car charger and USB lead.

I e-mailed them at half-past-five and received an apologetic e-mail five minutes later, saying they’d post the capacitors this evening and to keep the additional items. Excellent customer service.

Why would you want the capacitors for it? The internal battery gives quite a long use. Also if you are using it in the car, the car charger/power lead should supply all your needs.
P.S. Too late now but you could have got it cheaper from other suppliers.

I have read that people have had the experience of batteries failing after about a year. Other reports state that, using batteries, the camera runs hotter - the heat sinks becoming really quite hot. Yet others claim that in using capacitors rather than batteries, the unit runs more efficiently.

The battery option is advantageous if we want to remove the camera and use it outside the car, but for regular use inside the car (dashcams are usually bought for this purpose) it sounds like capacitors are better.

For the sake of a fiver, I have the option of using either. They are easily exchangeable.

Yes, I believe they are available more cheaply from other suppliers, but good customer support is sometimes worth paying for.

Yep, you should swap the batteries for capacitors if you are going to use the camera as a permanent dashcam. If you don’t the high heat of the device (from constant use and charging at the same time) will greatly reduce the battery life. With capacitors though you can’t then use the dashcam as a portable video recorder in your pocket. So, best to have more than one device imo.

Realist

I can easily see you have a great inside knowledge about dash cams but I do wonder then why you don’t have one. The only way to properly make a judgement is to have and use , reading about something doesn’t give any hands on experience . Several here have said they do have them and without problems as you describe , and a lot are sold even various makes.

If there was the problems you mention then first they would not be licenced to manufacture, and I have yet to see a major recall of any already sold and in use.

Extract from below link

Sales of dashcams on the high street up 918% in last 12 months
Most major insurers have started to accept them as evidence in claims

Dashcam-sales-rocketing-tenfold-insurers-accept-footage-evidence

According to dashcam manufacturer Nextbase, all 29 of UK’s leading insurers would now consider footage in a claims process after it contacted them for their views on dashcams.
Last year, insurer Swiftcover introduced a 10 per cent discount for drivers who installed a dashcam showing how firms are warming to the technology.

That is just one of many articles if typed in “dashcam sales” in Google

If I recall reading and from my experience, there is a cutoff when the battery is charged. So why would you need caps? As for the life of the battery, it’s no big deal as they only cost me £6.58 for 3, post free, that I am waiting delivery. I use them in other devices. One is for the dashcam I was given as the battery is dead. I managed to get it open, and it uses the same battery as the Möbius and another little camera that I have.

Actually, this is for my wife’s car, as I already have a RoadHawk dashcam in mine which, incidentally, is still working perfectly after many years.

We both always have a smartphone with us, so have no need of an extra Mobius camera for that purpose.

Nevertheless, she can use the camera as is, with batteries, for the time being. If it becomes too hot, or if the batteries begin to fail, I’ll swap them for the capacitors I’m expecting to receive. Apparently, it is very easy to do.

I have 2 as reported in posts in this thread ?!

I have 2 Mobius Dashcams

This is a rather naïve view Realspeed. Manufacturers make such products all the time. In fact, redundancy/failure is actually built in to many devices in order that there is a constant demand for more products. Mobile phones in particular are like this. People keep buying new phones all the time when really, such a device ought to last a lifetime.

Regardless, the internet and the many forums out there are littered with reports of dashcam owners who have seen their batteries fail (or even explode) far too early in the life of the device. Nextbase dashcams seem to figure highly in those reports. Sometimes the devices get so hot that the heat melts the other components on the circuit board and/or the camera casing itself.

There is no doubt that dashcam sales are on the rise. In a few years every car will have one and many cars will come with cameras built in. All a part of the global surveillance Big Brother state.

However, high sales doesn’t equate to high quality.
The science of batteries vs capacitors is out there to be read

When you charge a battery at the same time as you are discharging it you greatly extend the amount of time it takes to fully charge it. The battery and the circuitry is designed such that under normal circumstances, the battery charging period is relatively short and the device shuts off when fully charged so that over-charging does not occur. Because of that short period, the batteries don’t heat up too much.

When you run a dashcam in the car whilst simultaneously having it plugged into the 12V power supply you are charging the batteries whilst using (discharging) the batteries. That greatly extends the time it takes to fully charge. Possibly the device might never fully charge so it’s constantly charging for hours on end. That heats up the batteries to very bad levels and heat is THE No 1 enemy of a battery. It reduces the life of the battery, can cause the batteries to swell, explode or leak, and equally that heat will adversely affect other components on the board.

None of this is hearsay or conjecture. It’s plain old science.
A dashcam that will be running continually should have capacitors installed instead of batteries.