I Had Never Heard Of NC 500

I think there is no better way to see nature than getting up close and personal Roxy. Vehicles are all right to get from ‘A’ to ‘B’ but to really savour the scenery you need to be running, walking, or cycling.

It certainly would be a challenge for me now but it comes out about 36 miles a day, and I would consider that doable in my present state of decomposition…:smiley: There are some decent climbs, but I’ve rode through the Lake District and the dales in the past, so I might be a bit slower, but at least I know what’s coming.

Someone driving backup would be essential, as would a stay in a good hotel at the end of the day, providing a good hot shower and more importantly some good food. A ride like that would demand at least 500 calories per day…

Roxy, Thank You so much for that very informative post and video clip too. I didn’t realise you lived so far up in Scotland.
The clip you posted showed how very beautiful and natural that area is. I bet the air is lovely and healthy too!

I can imagine you would get some very ignorant visitors who have no regard for anything or anyone else but l suppose they can’t change a habit of a lifetime!

Foxy, Are you really considering doing this as a cycling holiday?
Well, l have to say, l really admire you but make sure you keep those leggies warm!

Thanks for this, Roxy. It shows the other side of things to ensure we have a true idea of what it’s like.
We drive slowly and safely, and certainly don’t park stupidly blocking access for others.
I’ve shown it to Marge. We still intend to visit the Highlands and probably some of the north coastal areas, but I’d prefer not to drive all the way round that route; instead, just pick out some interesting individual places.

JBR, Have you ever considered touring up there on a tandem bicycle?
Run it past Marge and see what she thinks. l am sure she would love it! :lol:

Good idea, Angel.
Marge could sit on the front and pedal whilst I’d sit at the back and not worry too much about pedalling.

The scenery is just too good to fly by in a motor Arty…Even if it means doing it in bite size chunks on the bike in more than one visit.

I thought you were talking about Wayne Gardner’s motorbike

About thirty years ago we spent two weeks touring Scotland (clockwise) and did this route, albeit wasn’t know as the 500 then. Last year(2019) we were going on holiday to the Orkney Isles so decided to do it again stopping twice overnight going up and then when we returned to the mainland stopped twice coming down, a wonderfull experience, would be nice in an open top sports car, i have the T shirt

Did you notice any difference in the amount of traffic Macywack? Pictures of the T shirt please…:smiley:

Foxey 30 years ago we hardly saw anything else, but 2019 was very busy will all kinds of motor vehicles

am gonna try a piccie

Foxey 30 years ago we hardly saw anything else, but 2019 was very busy will all kinds of motor vehicles

am gonna try a piccie

failed, i managed to find and upload the piccies but cant find how to get them into reply, be back soon oh it worked anyways

Bloody 'ell, I thought that you’d have washed and ironed it first. :smiley:

Piccies worked fine macywack, thanks…:wink:
It might get less busy in the future when everyone buys an electric vehicle. I don’t think they will be able to go that far on a charge…At least I hope not…:smiley:

That’s the NW200, Irish road racing

they are well advanced in Scotland foxey for services, on that journey we were about 50 miles from our first overnight stop and i was lowish on fuel, i checked the sat nav for nearest petrol station it told me 24 miles, as we clocked up that mileage i couldn’t see anything like a petrol station, there was a layby type area with two stainless steel objects, no people around, no buildings…omg they were petrol pumps, all done electronically using a credit card :smiley:

That’s good macywack, but I can’t see them providing charging stations for electric motors up there. It will be bad enough installing enough to cope with demand here if Boris has his way. Or is he just giving the greens lip service?

also foxy, last year we were on holiday in Arisaig, and went to catch the ferry to the island of Rhum, the car park for the ferry, which was just a piece of waste land, had two electric charging points…amazing innit

Wasn’t that to charge the ferry macywak?..:044:
We did a tour of western Scotland for my fiftieth birthday, we did Fort William, Oban, and Arisaig. We took the ferry from Mallaig to Skye, and Skye was so beautiful we stayed there for the rest of the holiday…Good memories…:wink:

Sorry about the quality, had to scan them from the album…:frowning:

we visit scotland every year, sometimes twice, maybe three times a year, we have had to miss this year, we were booked in for a week in Portpatrick, then lockdown came :cry: