How to repair holes in socks?

I thought sock was what posh people carried coal in.

in the absence of a darning mushroom you could probably use a soup ladle. Admirable that you want to darn socks. In my opinion life is too short.

1 Like

Thanks guys - I forgot to say the holes are actually at the front (big toe area) - I think because of the descents and that I sometimes run down them and often need to emergency break :lol:

That’s the way I was taught too.

1 Like

That’s always the case, as far as I know.

I get socks 4 or 5 pairs at a time from M&S, get them a couple of sizes too big and they last twice as long. And when they are fixed by someone who’s unfamiliar with the darning mushroom, they still fit and last a bit longer.

1 Like

My mother had a darning mushroom with a light inside. Is that a bit posh?

When one of my socks gets a hole in them they go in the bin, the remaining sock goes back in the drawer waiting for a similarly lonely sock to appear. I always buy packs of black short socks so they all match (more or less).

2 Likes

I’ve darned the odd sock. Usually a pair that I particularly like - I’ve fot a few that a really good length on my leg and real comfy that I’ve refused to dump due to a bit toe hole. You can do the weave across, or I have also done the nip around the hole and pull it up tight like a gather. You get a bit of a bump that way, but depending on the sock thickness and exactly where the hole is and how big your shoes are, you can get a bit more life out of them.

1 Like

I don’t mend them… If there’s a hole, they go the way of all socks.

2 Likes

What puzzles me if if you mend a hole in a sock, how do you put your foot in?? :017:

Azz one way to stop putting holes in those socks is to keep your toe nails short :rofl:

1 Like

Back in the day!

Re-Pair Of “Holes” in socks.
Is NOT Recommended.

Jethro tried that.
Now he doesn’t W-Air socks.

The Hole to put them on.
Is neatly Sown Up. :innocent:

1 Like

Holey socks become dusters in our house :+1:

1 Like

If you’re handy with needle and thread

Some thrifty Christmas presents perhaps? :christmas_tree::open_mouth:

Holey socks we keep for the dog.She loves to bury them in the garden.They have to be unwashed though.She’s not interested if they are clean.

Would that be a 3" or a 4" hole?

size is immaterial

I know that, but am asking for a friend.

2 Likes

An internet friend has it happens :grin:

Your Ai buddy?!

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

That is a “Darn” silly suggestion!

1 Like