How much will you spend on a meal?

I think that’s about usual for eat in?

Pub fish and chips are cheaper, Wetherspoons about £7 quid with a drink?

But the price of fish and chips has shot up. Our favourite chippy charges up to eat in, but it’s the best

Sounds perfect, and good value👍

1 Like

I think Wetherspoons is great value too! Our local one is brilliant and I have never, ever had cause to complain about the food or the service. We have those breakfasts with a coffee or soft drink for about £5 and you even get a free top up.

Some friends and I went to a posh place for breakfast once and I chose Eggs Benedict which was about £12. Wetherspoons do exactly the same for about £4. The posh one was not cooked as well as the Spoons one either.

I know some people love to run down Wetherspoons but we always enjoy a meal there. A few years ago they did a Valentines special meal for £20 a couple with steak and all the trimmings and a nice themed dessert and nicely decorated table. It was amazing.

2 Likes

I am just envious of all the options there are in overseas metropolitan areas.
While places like Auckland and Wellington are definitely on the improve here in New Zealand anything beyond Chinese/Indian or a pub feed is rare and pricey

1 Like

Well, I don’t like his politics but never let politics get in the way of good nosh at a bargain price!

I think it is good, although it might vary according to which one you’re in. Breakfast is nice, everlasting coffee too. And their curries, steak and chips and ham egg and chips

I don’t know if they’ve carried on with it since Covid but they used to do haggis the week of Burns night which we always went in for with a nice glass of whisky for sauce :crazy_face:

1 Like

Oh dear. That looks a bit heavy on the neeps!
We always had haggis at Scottish Country Dancing around Burns Night, but I’d expect rather more haggis than that.

A strange dish. Despite its contents, I always thought it tasted surprisingly good.

1 Like

It is weird, but I like it too. I suspect Wetherspoons load it up with neeps because that’s the cheap bit :rofl:

You get a shot of whisky included in the price and we like to pour a little drop on our haggis.:tumbler_glass::tumbler_glass::tumbler_glass::tumbler_glass:

They are doing it again this year, £6.79 including a whisky isn’t a bad price even if they are stingy with the haggis ……

Ewwww!! What?! Sacrilege I tells ya! These haggis gave their lives for you… :joy:

I know, they were such happy little things before, frollicking in the heather….

1 Like

How much would I spend on a meal?

About 10 shillings. That’s what the last one cost anyway. :laughing:

I aint been out for a while . . . . .

3 Likes

We don’t go to posh restaurants as we are tight fisted. We are the nesbitts of food and eat at carveries, Garden centres or Wetherspoons. I think the most we have ever paid for a meal is £40 for the two of us. We don’t buy wine when out just coffee or soft drink.
Someone I know is a food snob and wouldn’t dream of eating at Wethers. Their food bill has often come to almost £80 - £100 just for the two of them.

You can get good and lovely food in Garden Centre Cafes for a really good price.

1 Like

Actually, that’s not quite correct. Haggises are strange creatures and have five legs of different lengths for a very good reason: they don’t frolic in the heather but run around the steep sides of the Scottish mountains, hence the reason for their different-sized legs. Not a lot of people know that. They also have a strange wailing cry.

5 Likes

:face_with_monocle:

How do you know this? Have you seen them? You have haven’t you…you Haggis Hunter, you!

1 Like

We have been to a few posh restaurants but only because we have agreed to go out for a meal with friends and they suggest certain places but my husband moans like hell when we get home and says you can feed a family of 4 on that for a week! :joy:

1 Like

Ah! A fellow Yorkshireman.

Good grief Queenie. They must nave more money than sense!

Yes, some garden centres can be very pleasant, I agree.
Usually nice restful places too.

Hi

We all have our hobbies and special treats.

I don’t do pubs etc but I do save up for excellent meals.

In 2004, when still married, started doing the top 50 Restaurants in the World.

They change every year, but kept to the original list.

Never done a London, they are stupid prices, but done 17 others.

For my 60th I did the underwater restaurant at the 7 Star Burj al Arab in Dubai.

Arrived by ordinary Taxi, which was unusual for that place.

It was a basic lunch, but over £300 a head, you could spend more than that on one course there.

Sat right next to the coral reef aquarium which towered above our heads.

My lady at the time was also celebrating her 60th and was a tall, slim platinum blond with pure white skin and bright blue eyes.

She went to the ladies, closely followed by 3 ladies in Burkhas on the next table who where there with rich local Hubby.

They all wanted selfies with her and were amazed to learn we had been saving up for this as a special treat, it was just normal for them.

Jan was just as amazed by what was under the Burkhas with the makeup and jewellery.

They were gone for ages.

At the end of our meal it was paid for by rich hubby, his wives had told him about how we had to save for it and we had a limo for the rest of the day all paid for.

The following she she had a girls day out with them, I got naff all.

Best meal I have ever had, and free.

A fortune for us and I could never have afforded a limo, but peanuts for him.

My 70th was very different, spent it on my own in CCU.

3 Likes

You’re absolutely right. My OH will spend any amount on gadgets, tech stuff, motorbikes but thinks spending a fortune on food is mad. :rofl:

1 Like

Yes, it’s true, I don’t begrudge anyone spending money on meals out or think they’re daft, it’s just not really my thing.

Your special treats sound amazing, glad you enjoyed them

£16 … £8 each for the most delish nosh at our fave Cantonese of late.