How much have you spent at the dentist/on dental work?

:open_mouth: did you use pliers or a piece of string and a slammed door?!

Seriously though the need to have regular checkups is only there if your gums need to be monitored or if you have a specific problem. The main problem with not going as you age is gum disease. So I just go to see a hygienist. I once didn’t go for 7 years and didn’t need any work done. It seems sometimes that the more you visit the dentist the more problems you have.

2 Likes

I am 85 and can’t remember the last time I needed a dentist. I have had two loose teeth recently but I have been able to get them out eventually by myself. I clean my teeth regularly and have no dentures.

2 Likes

I think I must have had every type of dental issue going over the years. But Dental treatment recently been getting worse and my teeth have suffered as a result. I had a bad upbringing which resulted me in comfort eating sweets when I was young, mixed in with a generous helping of dental fear brought about by the brutal “gas and pull” method of dental “care”

Since then, I have done everything I can to keep my teeth as healthy as possible, but even that has resulting in various abscesses and other problems I have had to deal with. But thanks to NHS inept dental care (Get you in and out the chair as quick as possible) process, I have had teeth go bad because the dentist never bothered to check my fillings correctly else he would have noticed them rotting underneath, which caused me brain-crushing agony for a few days until I paid a someone else to pull the damn thing!

Moving onward to last September when my caring loving dentist decided that one of my rear molars needed a root filling, but because she was running late, she only did half a job and left it - and then decided to leave the practice. So I have half a root filling in my mouth, covered in amalgam and there is no one available to finish it off. Today, I went for a checkup, the first in many months (no dentist available) and reminded them about this hole in my head that needs filling. “We’ll be in touch when we get someone in able to do it”.

Something has gone seriously wrong with NHS dentistry and it was time this was dealt with.

2 Likes

Check book dentistry was exactly the reason I have been a private patient for many years. My private dentist only undertakes invasive work when it’s necessary and my regular visits ensure that is a rarity.

2 Likes

I’m lucky, never needed much dental work done, and I’ve got an NHS dentist locally. I go there from time to time. I had a few fillings as a child, I remember it clearly, they used to gas us!

1 Like

I go to a private dentist
I’ve got denplan.

2 Likes

We have dental insurance so not much.

2 Likes

That’s disgraceful. I didn’t think they were still allowed to use amalgam.

2 Likes

I think I just took it for granted Dachs, so now it seems so unfair to more or less make everyone seek out a private dentist or take out some sort of insurance. I suppose in a capitalist world, everything has a price. No such thing as a free lunch…
I think I might buy a rubber boat and enter Britain illegally, in that way I’ll get free NHS, Dentistry, Lodgings in a plush hotel, and a few quid each week to spend on beer.

I can tell you exactly, my dental costs for the last 12 months are $855 (£430)

That is four visits - one routine check up which cost $150 including Xray, scaling, fluoride etc

The most expensive visit was for a couple of fillings and a replacement filling which cost $305 (£150)

Only a couples of weeks ago, I had a Check-up, X-Ray, Deep Clean and a small filling and was shocked at the bill of £350.00.

How much?
:open_mouth:
I’ve bought cars for less Susie…

Yes I know OGF, it was Private as we can’t get NHS here, they have all gone Private, I think at this rate she is earning a lot of money, she is retired at least 70 years old and only does 1 day a week on a Monday.

1 Like

I had all my teeth removed about 8 years ago.
Years of neglect and bulimia saw them rot away. My doctor referred me to emergency treatment. All removed in one operation at ne cost to me.
Never got dentures and having a full set of dental implants will cost $50,000.
Not going to pay that so I will remain toothless.
Some things I can not eat, crispy bacon, surprisingly soft bread rolls. All the filling is squeezed out because no teeth to cut through the bread.

1 Like

Do you think the same thing happened to ‘Gumbud’ ? Hence the name…
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

We went for our 6 monthly hygenist trip yesterday .
It’s gone up to £82.50 for the half hour session
£165 for an hours work !
She gaily says you might consider coming every three months ( I was considering coming once a year now )
The practice has gone private too and is no longer an NHS dentist .
Its join a plan or get lost
I can see a lot of people with bad teeth having to self treat .

I haven’t heard from my dentist for over three years now Muddy…
I’ll just visit a private one if and when…
:tooth:

Yes I am going to do the same if I have to pay I will pay one I like .

1 Like

£165 is really a bit on the high side. For comparison, I pay £90 for an hour.

You have a good deal

1 Like