How does internet banking work?

The Bank where I hold my main Bank account still has a branch in my local town, so I could go into the branch if I needed to but since I retired from my job working in the Bank, I have found it much more convenient to do most of my banking transactions online.
I find it is much quicker and more convenient to go online rather than to ring up the bank or go into town just to check my bank balance or my latest payments, or check whether some money I’m expecting has been received or make a payment to a friend or the window cleaner, transfer some money from one account to another etc etc

If you are not sure how to register for online banking, it may be best to call in to your bank and ask them to explain to you how to register for their online banking service.
Once you are registered, you will have a username and password to log in securely - there is usually some extra security checks too when you set up new payment instructions or transfer money out of your account.
All the security checks are there to help keep you and your money safe.

Always make sure you are on the correct website for your bank before entering any log in details. I save my Bank log-in page as a “favourite” on my computer to make sure I’m using the genuine log in page for my Bank.

2 Likes

He never asks how much I have in my account, I know how much he has.

When I stay with him, he says, how much do you need, isn’t your allowance enough!..:joy::rofl:

1 Like

Best not to show him your account. Might give him ideas :grin::joy:

1 Like

All my banking has been done on the internet for years, first with my BHP Credit Union, now with one of the big four banks. I could (but don’t) use my phone instead of a credit or debit card. There are still ATMs for cash though I only use one about once every couple of months and cheques or deposits are handled by the Post Office.

As soon as I spend any money my phone goes “Bing” and tells me “$34.27 paid from account ending 1234” almost instantly usually before the checkout has given me the receipt.To be honest its a bit annoying though you can turn it off.

Easy as.

1 Like

Also, I’ve never been stung by fraud from using it. In fact, having access to it 24/7 has enabled me to identify and react to possible dodgy transactions immediately, rather than wait for a paper statement.

2 Likes

I do all my banking via my phone Pauline
Once you’re up and running it’s a breeze
The sort of thing that’ ll make you wonder why you didn’t do it sooner.
The only thing it doesn’t do is give out cash!

I haven’t yet gone over to swiping my phone instead of my card when paying at supermarkets etc. My thinking is, if I lost my phone I’d be stuck… and someone else could be happy swiping my phone in the meantime!

3 Likes

You’d still have your card, and the googlepay app (or applepay) is protected by your phone password or however you login.

Losing your card would give crooks the same level of contactless/pin free payments.

2 Likes

I use my phone for swiping but, IIRC, I have to unlock it for the pay app (Google Pay) to work.

The reason I use it rather that card is that phone payments are more secure because the card number is not exchanged with the reader.

1 Like

Ah true Dex, very true
The thing with me though, is I guard my handbag and purse like my life depends on it whereas my phone I put down everywhere and anywhere (I never forget to pick it up though!)

2 Likes

Plus my phone buzzes when the transaction has occurred correctly, which is more than you get with a card.

2 Likes

Yes a buzz can give one quite the thrill, agreed :grin:

1 Like

Okey dokey. My phone is always on my body somewhere whenever I’m out. Oddly enough, I’ve started to leave my wallet and cards at home.

1 Like

I love my phone, a computer in my pocket. Except it’s not in my pocket most of the time, but my debit card is. Therefore, I don’t do phone payments, not needed, plus it’s an extra security risk.

I’ve been doing internet banking, on my home computer, for ten years now: check card transactions, balance, transfer money, etc in the comfort of my own home. That’s the way to go @pauline3

1 Like

I use internet banking and have done for years . I’ve recently started using phone payments with face recognition which is more secure as there’s no one else that’s got my face lol…

1 Like

I am the same though I use my thumb print to sign in (my beard confuses face recognition software).

I should change over to using the phone rather than credit or debit cards, the phone is so much more secure. The excuse I use is rather pathetic - I keep my Opal Card (rail/bus/ferry travel) in my phone case and the NFC used for money transactions interferes with it so it is turned off.

As I said a pretty poor excuse.

1 Like

I use i/b a lot. Can transfer payments to my window cleaner, either dog carer, plumber, I also transfer funds back and forth from a savings account (I am trying to save a third of my income each onto, while I can). Check it regularly against my cash book, tick off the debits. Pay off my credit card online if I have used that. And as people say, to keep an eye out for scammers and dodgy transactions.

1 Like

Hi

Internet banking works by you having your money paid into the bank, they lump it together with other peoples money, lend it at a profit and they then close branches, make you do all the work and make huge profits.

1 Like

Ouch! :grimacing:

Swings and roundabouts.

Banks have always made a profit by using your money and branches have been replaced by an app on our phones because cash is used less and less (which undoubtedly pleases the tax office)

I still use an old version of M$ Money to keep an eye on my transactions but these days it is largely irrelevant because the phone app is more up to date, more secure and just as accurate. It is just a matter of time before I abandon it.

1 Like

I’ve used internet banking for years . Mind that you have secure protection on your device if you decide to do it . Can’t think why your son hasn’t advised you about doing it before now .

1 Like