How do you dry your clothes? (Split from energy saving ideas thread)

I have one of those eco ones - not sure how much difference that makes but a full load will dry in 90 minutes (and then I leave it in there for at least an hour on CD mode as the drum remains hot for ages).

Something I have noticed with this washing machine is that it does not fill the drum with water like all the other washing machines I have had - it just uses enough water to get the clothes wet enough! The great thing about this is that you can open it at any time and add anything you’ve forgotten :lol:

1 Like

I have a tumble drier but prefer to put things outside on a line. But I also have a dehumifirer & an indoor free standing airer & a thing that hooks onto radiators.

Drying clothes indoors raises the humidity levels & that makes a home feel colder, it also causes dampness. So a dehumidifier is energy well spent.

1 Like

I’ve recently bought a washer dryer.
I will continue to use it this winter as I don’t like the idea of the moisture given off from clothes drying indoors.

1 Like

@Azz , Surely the water is meant to swish thro the dirty washing removing
the dirt as it goes ?
How can it do this if the washing is merely damp ??
Doesn’t your machine have an agitator pulsator ?? :+1::thinking::thinking::+1:

1 Like

I’m not sure DKM - I don’t watch it for the full cycle :upside_down_face: but I’ve always been able to open it mid cycle to add something I’ve forgotten and I’ve never seen it full of water like previous washing machines. It certainly does a good job of cleaning and I noticed a huge difference in how soft the clothes were after buying this machine. Probably one of my favourite kitchen appliances :lol: :icon_redface:

1 Like

Not my department " er indoors" operates that white box with dials and a peephole. Often better then watching the television and more exciting

2 Likes

I dry my clothes on the washing line or the tumble dryer.

If it’s unfit to peg out I’ve discovered that if I drape the wet clothes on rails etc overnight and then put them in the tumble dryer the next day - it takes half the time.

1 Like

Hi

Hello from the boring scientist again.

Clothes dry quicker upstairs simply because warm air rises.

The warmer the air the more moisture it can hold.

Condensation happens when your walls are colder than the air, when the warm air meets the cold walls it cannot hold as much water, the walls get damp and mould happens.

The spores from the mould are dangerous, this is why they are classed as prejudicial to health.

This is why the most common legal notices served by EHOs for premises being in such a condition as to be prejudicial or injurious to health are to fit dehumidifier fans set at the low 60% Humidity.

Contrary to popular belief high humidity makes the air seem warmer, not colder.

A reasonably high humidity helps breathing issues.

My house is well insulated, I dry my clothes in winter or when it is raining, inside, on a heated dryer, only 230 watt, heats the room as well and keeps my houseplants happy.

As an aside, the Case Law which helped defined prejudicial or injurious to health was all down to a most unlikely person.

Bob Mortimer, the comedian, when he was a Solicitor.

2 Likes

My washer/dryer has a 1600 spin speed , it doesn’t take long to dry :wink:
All my towels & sheets are supersoft & crease free.
I still iron duvet covers and pillow slips :crazy_face:

We have collapsible racks for easy storage but not for easy assembly.
The clothes are usually dry before I can manage to assemble them.So they do work.

When I got up this morning I looked at the display for my weather station. The monitor is in an open & airy position in my garden, but the humidity level outside, just one hour ago was 77%. Currently at 9:30am & with things warming up, its 65%. So that advice some give to open windows to reduce humidity levels & stop/reduce mold is looking rather inept.

Looking on google. Humidity levels indoors should be kept below 60% indoors to prevent mold & to minimise/control dust mites. So us in the UK should take care if drying clothes indoors, as that will raise the humidity level, which are already often close to, or above that.

Also found on google.

Research from the Building Science Corporation found that humidity of 70% or higher adjacent to a surface can cause serious damage to the property . The Health and Safety Executive recommends that relative humidity indoors should be maintained at 40-70%, while other experts recommend that the range should be 30-60%.

We have a large clothes airer in the spare bedroom. It is in front of a radiator, so in the winter benefits from some heat. But even on rainy days in other seasons things dry fairly quickly on there. It helps that the washer has a 1600 spin speed, so the clothes have a good ‘start’. We have a dehumidifier in the room to remove the extra moisture. On dry days throughout the year the washing goes outside on the line - nothing like the smell of line-dried clothes, especially cotton bedding!

The washer started life as a washer/dryer but the dryer packed up a couple of years ago, and was going to cost an arm and a leg to repair. We decided not to bother because it was rarely used anyway - and now, with the spiralling costs, when the washer breathes its last we will replace with just a washer, not a washer/dryer.

I dry my clothes on a clothes airier, I hate it, I have to dry them somewhere, the best place to put it is upstairs as the heat rises, sometimes I put the sheets over my stair metal railings.:grinning:

1 Like

Just for accuracy, warm air doesn’t rise per se. Cold air is more dense and thus heavier (per cubic unit of your preference) than warm air, and so gravity pulls it down, thus displacing warm air which has to go somewhere. Ie…up.

Air particles in warm air are further apart than in cold air, which provides more room for water vapour to move into, which explains (to a point) the phenomenon in the final sentence I’ve quoted.

Finally, on the subject of drying…items end up with the same ambient moisture content as the surroundings.

1 Like

The sun and wind is free!

I have a rotary clothes line, the good old Hills Hoist and there are some lines strung up in the car port for when it rains.

Haven’t ironed anything for decades

A matter of some embarrassment - one of the lines in the carport broke about a week ago and I know I have some yellow rope that I use for this purpose I can see it in my mind but can I find it? not on your bloody lfe!

If I have shirts / blouses to dry, I put them on a clothes hanger and hang them here to dry, then iron!..

Hi

That is the problem with Google, it can be very misleading.

Google does not stand up in Court, qualifications and experience do, as does the evidence.

Infection Control Nurses I make mincemeat of, highly paid idiots in reality.

It extends to Health and Safety in the NHS.

That is why my Local NHS Trust have had to pay so much in damages.

Hi

Thanks for that Dextrous, I often fail to explain things as succinctly as you.

1 Like

I always give my washing an extra spin after the washing cycle, not sure how much that costs electricity wise but it definitely speeds up drying

I’ll be completely retired soon, and I don’t go in much now as I’m partially retired and winding down

So I’ll have more time and be home so I’m going to try to dry outside a bit even in the winter and use my garage clothesline

If we’ve got the heating on I’ll use the radiator racks and maybe get one of those heated airers to finish it off

We’ve never noticed a problem with humidity or condensation, this is a big old house, and it seems to absorb it or let it out :woman_shrugging:

But I just read up on dehumidifiers and this article says it costs from 5p -16p to run one for an hour from October while the tumble drier will cost £1.95 for an hour and a half, according to the diagram, so I might think about getting one of those too

https://www.idealhome.co.uk/property-advice/how-much-does-it-cost-to-run-a-dehumidifier-298272

Have you not been taking your tablets?

2 Likes