How do you dry your clothes? (Split from energy saving ideas thread)

That’ll be lovely @Octogen. As a director of a couple of flat management companies (sounds far grander than it is…I just get to see the books now and again and help look for contractors to give us quotes for repairs), I can pretty much guarantee that your fees will be increasing soon. Just got to hope that every resident plays it fair and square and isn’t more greedy than the rest.

Fees are already up but as I am now all electric I’ve saved a fortune on gas which would have been way over a £1,000 now and the water is included in my fees too ,which was about £400. No buildings insurance either saving £300 which now helps towards these fees.

I economise on my storage heaters and have invested in an electric throw. :grinning:

2 Likes

I use a spin dryer for things like jeans thick sports gear and also towels etc best thing I ever brought about 10 years or so ago it spins at 2800 cost me £52 (found receipt the other day) this is them now 3kg Gravity Spin Dryer In White 2800rpm, 350W - SIA SD3WH : Amazon.co.uk: Large Appliances
takes out so much water it’s amazing and washing machine is 1600 spin speed already.

I’ve bought an electric throw for my son, I just might consider getting one too.

2 Likes

I love my heated throw :heart:

2 Likes

Life is strange… forty plus a few years ago I would have scoffed at the idea of having an electric throw.
Yet here I am.

1 Like

you know you are getting old when …

1 Like

…you find a book at home on how to improve your memory, and forgot that you’d bought it.

Happened to me :nauseated_face::nauseated_face:

1 Like

Quite :slightly_smiling_face:
I find the use of the word getting consoling :+1:

Low humidity is just as bad as high humidity. It can cause respiratory problems. I worked in a low humidity office once and we were constantly getting ill. Skin irritation, eye problems, sinusitis, etc.

I use the washing line, or an indoor air dryer. I have never used radiators for drying clothes. I’ll get a dehumidifier for helping get rid of any humidity, so I imagine that will help enormously as well.

1 Like

What’s an indoor air dryer Pixie?

1 Like

Its a foldable clothes horse, Carol…sorry! People call it different things :smiley:

I don’t put it straight on the radiators either

I have one of these over the radiator on the landing

And these I put on the other radiators when needed

But I’m trying to save by not putting the central heating on, so our in the garage it is, then!

I think before anyone rushes out to buy a dehumidifier they should purchase a Humidity monitor and see just what humidity they are dealing with. You might be wasting your money if humidity is within reasonable limits most of the time.

1 Like

I got myself those little monitors (3 for £10) and they are very effective. I have one in the living room, one in the hall and one in the bedroom. They are all fairly consistent in their readings - around 50 - 65% which I believe is quite normal. When it rains (Scotland, remember) it shoots up to 70 - 80%. So thats why I’m thinking about a humidifier…I can’t stand to be like that in wintertime.

1 Like

Spot on Pixie. Best to identify a problem before treating it…
:+1:

1 Like

I have one of those whirly gig things in the garden and I’ve been using that to dry stuff…have to admit I used the tumble dryer last year but that will have to change I have log burners at the house so I will be buying one of those old fashioned clothes horses like my granny used to have… I wonder what happened to hers :slight_smile: :wink:

Because the weather’s been so iffy, I hung the king sized bed sheet over the banister hand-rail upstairs this afternoon and it’s dry!!!

I am AMAZED.

No heating on …sorted

I hang my washing on the garden line throughout the year. Even in cold winters it blows dry after a day or two and I’m never desperate for any specific item.