How climate is making Australia more unliveable

OGF - wot a stunner - used to collect all of his stuff and think the laddie has my collection now - but used to love this guy still do and what an apt song for xmas and oz - you’ve lifted up my spirits a little while - sincere thanks buddy!! I know just flick over to Utube and play ma heart out heh!! - special xmas treat!!

1 Like

My pleasure bret…and happy Christmas to you and yours…
:+1:

Residents of Australia’s eastern states have been warned to prepare for severe storms forecast over the Christmas weekend.

Thunderstorms are expected between Christmas Eve and Boxing Day across a broad region, including much of New South Wales and south-east Queensland and spreading down into Victoria.

Authorities are warning residents to prepare for potential flash flooding, with falls of up to 100mm (4") (1) forecast. Angus Hines, a senior meteorologist at the Bureau of Meteorology, said that while thunderstorms across December were not uncharacteristic they are forecast to be relatively intense over the coming days.

“We’re looking at the risk of severe thunderstorms, that certainly brings the risk of very intense weather,” he said. “We’re expecting some parts of the eastern side of the country to experience some clear, sunny, warm weather before the storms [arrive]. But they can change things really rapidly. There could be severe, damaging wind, heavy rain or hail or sometimes … the combination of all three as the storms roll over here. [We’re] certainly looking at severe, intense conditions.”

(1) Just a bit of a shower, then … :cloud_with_rain:

Yep, really humorous…

At least 10 people, including a nine-year-old girl, have died in eastern Australia during severe thunderstorms on Christmas and Boxing Day. Most of the deaths were in the state of Queensland, where tens of thousands of people are still without power. Victoria and New South Wales were also hit by widespread flooding and destructive winds.

Residents in parts of New South Wales and South Australia were shocked to find hailstones the size of golf balls blanketing their lawns in summer.

The latest storms come more than a week after major floods inundated parts of Queensland during Cyclone Jasper - with some areas experiencing more than a year’s worth of rain in just a few days. They follow a series of heatwaves that have seen states including New South Wales battling bushfires recently. The country is currently enduring an El Nino weather event, which is typically associated with extreme events such as wildfires and cyclones.

It is clear that we are living through an era of escalating climate consequences," Simon Bradshaw, research director at the Climate Council - an independent communications organisation - told the Reuters news agency.

Australia has been plagued by a series of disasters in recent years - severe drought and bushfires, successive years of record floods, and six mass bleaching events on the Great Barrier Reef. A future of worsening disasters is likely unless urgent action is taken to halt climate change, the latest UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report warns.

A stark warning … :scream:

A stark warning to do what Omah?

A future of worsening disasters is likely unless urgent action is taken to halt climate change

I’m waiting for instructions on how I can take urgent action, that the ‘supposed’ experts keep banging on about to halt climate change…
They are going to need the whole world onside, but when you consider that two thirds of the world are living in poverty, it won’t be high on their list of priorities, and the other third are well fed, comfortable, drive nice motors, fly abroad for their holidays, enjoy exotic foods and goods transported from the four corners of the world, support wars in other countries…etc…etc…
The population of the world needs to be dramatically reduced. So we need the most powerful and wealthiest people in the world to fashion a plan, because they are the only ones who can make a real difference…Wait a minute… :thinking:

Then not only Australia but the whole world will become increasingly unliveable.

Sorry, those ten pounds are not refundable.

I doubt it Omah…The human race survives because it is so adaptable.

The human race hasn’t been around log enough to make that claim:

Humans are good at a lot of things, but putting time in perspective is not one of them. It’s not our fault—the spans of time in human history, and even more so in natural history, are so vast compared to the span of our life and recent history that it’s almost impossible to get a handle on it. If the Earth formed at midnight and the present moment is the next midnight, 24 hours later, modern humans have been around since 11:59:59pm—1 second. And if human history itself spans 24 hours from one midnight to the next, 14 minutes represents the time since Christ.

1 Like

A cyclone is forming in the Coral Sea off the Queensland coast, it is predicted to be a Cat 3 Cyclone by Wednesday when it should hit the coast near Townsville on Thursday.

It is the second cyclone to hit Queensland in as many months.

The report from BOM gives a range of scenarios including how the cyclone will form. It doesn’t have a name yet, obviously because it is not yet a cyclone.

According to BOM the cyclone might only be a Cat 2 BUT it could dump a metre of rain on Queensland. It will be called Kirrily when it is declared tonight or tomorrow morning.

Cyclone Kirrily is slow at making its mind up and has still not been declared as a cyclone.

Meanwhile in the rest of the world a heatwave is set to engulf most of NSW over the next few days.

I am starting to think that moving to Canberra is a more attractive proposition (shudder)

Computer modelling doesn’t always come up with right answers.

Back to the Drawing board…

Tropical Cyclone Kirrily is picking up speed and intensity at it heads towards the Queensland coast It is now a cat 3 cyclone and heading straight for Townsville. It should cross the coast in the next hour or so.

Same here Bruce, we’ve just had storm Isha making a nuisance of herself…

Climate change is even making the UK more unliveable…

Victoria suffers a double whammy

1 Like

Not the time to be up a gum tree!