How are you enjoying the summer?

A regular place I like to visit and rummage in when we experience good weather.

2 Likes

I`m not a summer person myself,i like the autumn and spring seasons.

1 Like

Summer ??? What Summer ? Not far from where I live ( Downunder ) they’ve very recently experienced some of the coldest weather ever recorded. :102: :103: :103:

1 Like

ive been a walk across 5 fields,Wheat , Barley and Broad Beans , I really enjoyed it ,

4 Likes

That looks idyllic.

1 Like

it really was as we walked , I mentioned how quite and how nice to wild camp here , it didnt look like many had walked this way often , the foot bridges and styles were over grown .It was a new walk to us , found after the original walk had been thwarted by a car accident , right where we was going to park up was a car in the ditch and Police in attendance .
we will return to this area , to find more new Footpath signs .I enjoy finding new walks

3 Likes

Just driving back from a week-end in the caravan in Perranporth, it was bliss :smiley:

3 Likes

Perraporth is where my late mother was born and bought up, still got a lot of cousins there. Little story about that holiday park. hen it was just wild sandunes right in the middle an old guy set up a small tent and nobody ever bothered him. when the authorities found out and tried to remove him he claimed squatters rights and could not be touched. Much later on although it belonged in theoy to the dutchy of Cornwall accepted a good offer from a holiday company and now a small town istherfe in the dunes
Bit more history
A small church was discovered as well near St Pirens cross now covered over due to vandels, but I had b een inside before that, one of the very few that had. It only held about 12 people but the odd thing was the alter was at the wrong end to what is accepted now.
Outside they found graves and the skeletons were tgall ,the cornish are mainly on the small side. They dated it to around 1000AD. Believe it or not but i am not lying on one of the gravestones was my mothers side family crest. Everything went to Truro museum and I did try and find out more. but as usual officialdom or ignorance stepped in and nothing was even checked

3 Likes

Cricket,lovely cricket…

3 Likes

What Summer?

1 Like

Plenty of sunshine to be had here in West Sussex, up until the 18th according to the forecast, 26 degrees this weekend.

Hosepipe ban here we come.

1 Like

Very Interesting RS , out of Interest was any recent members of your family tall .

1 Like

I keep hinting at going to a Village Cricket Match , take a picnic , it would be so Idylic., to laze away a Sunday afternoon .

2 Likes

Thank you Realspeed, that’s fascinating

We’ve been going to the caravan site for over 30 years now and it’s a lovely place

I’ve been to see St Piren’s cross and the church covered in sand, very interesting to see, the oldest in Cornwall

Do you ever visit there now?

1 Like

It’s only 10c here in Suffolk by the North Sea.

1 Like

Quite. When I was cutting the grass this morning it was 12C.

2 Likes

Shame!

1 Like

no not for years Perranorth is not the perranpoth I rememberas a child. Back then one could walk rthe 3 mile beach and see no one. after a storm and high tide use to go hunting for glass fishing net floats, still have about a dozen in the loft here. The shop ones arn’t genuine

local beach names starting from Droskin point with the hole through it
then is droskin steps -sunny corner- dead mans pool (body found floating in it) - the cubby hole- Chapel rock - flat rocks -High cliffs weal vlow -weal mary ( mine shaft addicts) and on to the other end of the beach and what was the army camp? we used to go seine net fishing - lay bankers (line of baited hooks and ends buried in the sand. Then next low tide see what we had caught . The other side of droskin point beach side is catherdral cavern (caught a lobster in there ) at very low tide . past that is an area of sea called The meadows and on from that the rocks called “cow and calf”

OH out of interest the healey family lived in perranporth (Austin Healey car fame) I new them well as they were dads fishing pals. John Healey owned the Red house grocery store and bic(brian) Healy the bambo hut club next the the railway bridge > Don healey their dad had a place in St Agnes.
Austin had tfhe cars and healey the power boats
One absolutly amazing sight watched was while fishing off Droskin Point, the whole bay (all 3 miles of it) was shimmering with mackerel from one end to the other, I guess they were beng chased in by sharks or somedthing.

of course back then no beach bars or beach cafes which for me ruins perranporth as I knew it
My gran had a house in tregungy terrase off twyrnhale road which was left to my mother then to me. It was the original head coast guards house before the hotels were built I had to sell it as I had as house in surrey and it was too far to maintain or keep an eye on, moveing was not an option
Yes I guess I know a little more about perranporth than most living there now

2 Likes

@Chilliboot Here’s my local gelato come café outlet, Macari’s. It’s on the approach way into the centre of town.

2 Likes

Summer? are you joking?

It is alright for you, while you are roasting in your 20° of summer we are freezing in our 20° of winter, so spare a thought for us struggling in the southern hemisphere.

It might get up to 21° today. Brrrrrr… I had to dig out my winter woollies when I returned from overseas.

Fortunately in civilised countries like Australia the seasons start promptly on the 1st of the month, none of that 21st nonsense here :wink: we are a week into winter!

4 Likes