House keeping money

Hi

I was the eldest of a large family with a low income for years,

We lived very frugally, we had to, I had to get a job rather than go to Uni to help support the family, all good fun.

Times change, father changed jobs and earned vast amounts more and I was on good money at 20 year old.

It was ingrained by then not to waste money and never get things on credit, you saved.

I have gone back to being frugal, it is now a hobby, and great fun.

I spend as little as possible on heating, day to day food and living expenses, always checking for the best bargain.

I don’t buy bleach, I use chlorine tablets, I don’t buy cleaning products, I use white vinegar, bicarb and use hydrogen peroxide foe sterilisation.

All the money I save goes on my treats, truffle mayonnaise, good wines and vodka and very importantly presents for my sister, and the littlie.

I also send my son a monthly allowance.

I quite enjoy looking after the housekeeping money.

2 Likes

I too was brought up to be frugal and very wise where money was concerned. Now I’m luckily in the position where I can but what I want within reason and when I want it without thinking about the cost. I buy everything in my CC and then pay the single bill off monthly by using the freephone payment line quoting my DC number.

1 Like

Hello all I do not have to be frugal but I do sort of burdget in that I have the old fashioned silverline pocket cash books in one for income and bills and one for everything I buy @Summer when you start doing a daily tally it first scares you then hooks you. LOL

Wow, I’d love to see those old accounts. It’s a real part of history. Make sure they get passed on to the next generation, I’m sure people will be fascinated when they read them. :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

I have done this for years and can’t stop the habit. Day to day spending I refer back to old notebooks to see where items have risen in price. The cash book I can’t give up as it tells me exactly how much I have in my accounts, or how much I have left to spend for the month. Once I enter the monthly DDs, along with my pensions, whatever is left is mine, unless I have a quarterly or half yearly bill due (tv licence, BT, and the sewerage charge).

Often I have tried to get my younger sister to do it, but she’d prefer not to. When she goes short she goes on the cadge.

2 Likes

I am choking up as I type Ralph. :cry:

Mum’s diaries and housekeeping books and all the family photos were left to me in her Will. Sadly, a family member went in her house and helped himself to the lot! Mum left them to me because she knew I liked family history and would appreciate them. Everything has gone and I have been heartbroken since she passed away at end of 2020.

The solicitor and the Police say there is nothing I can do.

I might have a few notes I made myself about ingredient prices in the back of an old cookery book. Will have a look.

Oh no so sorry to hear that :pensive:
I take it you’re no longer in contact with the person who took them?

My father must have given my mother housekeeping money but I never witnessed it and I have no idea how much.

No, hold on, my father used to grow the fruit & veg, a cow provided the milk, mother made butter & some cheese. Meat came form the farm, salmon and game birds from the local poacher/gamekeeper. My mother used to get other things delivered, pay later, by cheque presumably.

I know it sounds a bit posh, but no, just a simple country life.

1 Like

Don’t see much frugality, loads of BMW’s and foreign holidays!

@d00d your name Larkin by any chance? :thinking:

1 Like

I do it too, not to the extent of my shopping list but for anything I spend using a card. I often wonder how people know what they have left in the bank when they use these ‘tap and go’ cards and never get a receipt…. Maybe they just wait until it’s a case of bank say no !! Then they stop spending again until pay day.

yes I keep all the house keeping money - o nly way to stop it being badly spent?

Best to tie up a portion of the household budget in “Liquid” assets :icon_wink:

HaHa yes, something like that.

I have seen people buying large items and not wanting a receipt! I think the same as you, how can they keep on top of their spending? Unless they have that much money it doesn’t matter, :woman_shrugging:

Whenever I am in the local card shop so Holly can have a fuss from our neighbour who works there, most people pay by card/phone and invariably none of them wants the receipt. Me, I record every penny I spend.

1 Like

You must be joking! I wrote twice asking for them to be returned to me and he didn’t even reply. Like I said, Police and solicitor say even though they were left to me in my Mum’s Will, once they’ve gone there is nothing you can do.

I am hoping what they say about karma is true!

1 Like

haven’t you got any stdrong fit nephews or such that could visit socially and remove such items suruptitiously??

1 Like

I thought if something was left to you in a will it was legally yours. If somebody takes it then surely it’s theft?

So did I Ralph. But the solicitor said there’s nothing I can do and the Police say we cannot prove who stole them. I told them he was the only person who had a key and the house wasn’t burgled so it is obviously him. Apparently that’s not proof enough.

I insisted the Police went round and they rang me and said they got the door slammed in their face so could do no more. :cry:. Absolutely pathetic.