Home healthcare workers shortage

The reason here is simple in America the average home healthcare worker makes less than a fast food employee. I am so tired of hearing “build back better”. It’s a load of crap, instead of build back better, lets fix some of the sh__ that’s broken. Now is the time to rectify mistakes as we start back up. You don’t do it by telling me that and elderly person is worth less than a hamburger. :exploding_head:

3 Likes

Theres a shortage here with staff having to have the covid vaccination and rightly or wrongly people refusing to have it leading to sacking’s.

The findings by union Unison come days before 60,000 workers face being sacked for refusing Covid jabs – on top of the 120,000 current vacancies.

2 Likes

Over here you can make almost $20 per hour in fast food. If you care for an elderly person.

1. Work is harder
  2. Hours are longer
  3. More stress
    Your reward if you are lucky is $15 per hour.
    Both of these position require little education, but you have to be vaccinated.
1 Like

Hi

I am self funding, the Government pays nothing.

The new system here in the UK protects those in the rich areas of the Uk, but hammers those in areas where property values are lower.

In plain speak, it is a fix to protect what they consider to be their Core Voters.

Boris is being caught out because of his lies.

The Red Wall will be back at the next Election.

1 Like

As am I. I am concerned for those an a state pension. It really doesn’t matter though if the patient is rich or poor. The people who take care of them are not making enough to live. It’s incredible to think how little we take care of our elderly. Vets and Elderly once you’ve past prime usage date you can piss off as far as the government goes. Damn Shame. :sob: :sob:

C’est la vie .
It’s a sad fact that as we age we are worth less we are passed over and treated with condescension. Touch wood I am in good health and hope that mine will not be a lingering end . My father died quickly in his home he was healthy to the last at 86 I only hope I will follow in his footsteps .

1 Like

I too enjoy good health. My greatest fear would be losing my independence due to illness. Thankfully, no one in my family had any kind of adverse defects or conditions to pass on. I am constantly grateful that I maintain my health. Unfortunately, If I was to fall ill then my circumstances (living wise) were to change, I would probably hit poverty level quickly considering cost of healthcare in America. Even with insurance a prolonged illness can break even a sturdy bank.

Let’s hope it’s doesn’t come to that Danny :slight_smile:
Now that I am getting on I understand the fears of ‘ going into a home ‘ most old people resist this with all their might even though they can no longer live independently. Once you have left your home you are truly in Gods waiting room .
It is the end .
What I would like to see are more houses being built with annexes where an older person can live with their family but separate still maintaining their independence .
This would seem to be an ideal solution .
Alas in the U.K. houses are getting smaller and more expensive all the time .

1 Like

We did this for my mother on my sister’s property. She lived there until she passed.

I don’t worry about it Muddy what was it you said?

Hi

Danny, we have a Free National Health Service here in the UK.

Our Prime Minister, same as your President, promised that no oe would lose their home to pay the costs of Care for the Elderly.

He lied, it is as simple as that, he put the costs of care on those who live in the cheapest housing areas.

That is not going to happen with me.

When my Care Costs exceed my income, I am out of here.

I was hoping to go out with a bang, literally.

It would have been abroad, not here in the UK, but sadly I am now too ill to travel that far.

Two Radical Muslim Terrorist Chemical Experts.

Sadly the Northern territories of Pakistan are out of my reach now.

Such is life, however I am not paying stupid costs to stay alive.

My son will have my house

Job done, he can spend it on what he wants.

1 Like

I always said if I make it to 80 I’m faking dementia and cussing everyone out! :rofl: :rofl:

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:
I know several people whose mothers like your have lived in an annex with their family it’s seems an ideal solution .But they were quite well off and could afford a large house . Unlike in the US houses in the U.K. are small and on tiny plots so finding an affordable one with an annex is quite difficult .

1 Like

That’s the reason we built on my sister’s property and not mine. At the time my sister lived in rural Texas and I lived here in Colorado. It would have costs us 6x more to build here, rather than there. There is no way with mine and my sister’s income we could have built here, it’s ridiculous what property cost here now.
What is the average house price in Colorado?

The typical home value of homes in Colorado is $516,875. This value is seasonally adjusted and only includes the middle price tier of homes. Colorado home values have gone up 21.1% over the past year.
:cry: :cry:

The simple answer to that is that the USA should ban fast food. Not only will this increase the labour pool for healthcare workers but it will also have the added benefit of reducing about 50% of the patients who need care as everyone will be healthier. They should do the same thing in the UK. I was shocked that it is considered normal in the US for a whole family to dine on take out instead of real home cooking. On top of this the portions were like a mountain of food and dripping with fat.

Over here it would probably lead to a high reduction in knife crime too. Only chippies should be allowed to trade. No burger joints, no fried chicken shops, no kebabs to take away. Of course councils don’t want to do this here because there is so much money in fast food catering.

1 Like

You’d need separate deeds so that the main property is not included in care costs. They should be making it easier for families to look after their elderly at home without that person losing all their assets in one way or another. But they create obstacles.

1 Like

Even when one is found it doesn’t always work out the way intended. My present home took well over a year to find with a detached at the end of the plot for my highly independent ancient maternal aunt. The day before she was due to move and join us, she collapsed with an abdominal aneurism at 95 and was no longer with us the following day. It is now my music studio as we didn’t want to let it out.

1 Like

It would be better for IHT purposes that it was not separate deeds .

1 Like

It’s a tad complicated, but we do not directly own either. Both are tied up via a family property holding that also covers all of our children’s homes too that are mortgage free. A reasonable rent covers everything from upgrades/redecs to maintenance to comply and HMRC cant get their probing fingers on a single penny

1 Like

Hi

My Inheritance Tax liability is long gone to my two kids.

The big house in a Rural Village has gone.

I now live in an Ex Council 3 bed end of terrace with a big garden with a rear view of one of the best in Shropshire.

I have some lovely neighbours, but next door has changed since I moved here 3 years ago.

The house is a tip, front garden a right mess and the mess and drug dealing is affecting my house value.

It is also annoying others locally.

It will be sorted.

1 Like