Holiday scheme or scam?

Well I might as well say that the place in question is Tenerife.

It does sound suspiciously similar to your experience Mags. I’ll be treading very carefully.

If all this is sorted out after the first holiday, I’ll be making sure I get as much slander against this company put on FB, Twitter, Trip Advisor, even Watchdog. We’ll see.

Oh No

Definately time share you have to stay somewhere on holiday.
Sounds to me they are calling it holiday to disguise what it really is

I think I would contact Citizens Advice Floydy, we have always found them to be very helpful. I wonder if there is a ‘cooling off’ period for this kind of deal.

That might be a good idea, Val :slight_smile:
I’m in two minds: whether to wait and see and go ahead with the first week and perhaps turn the tables on them and grill them with loads of questions. Or go for some kind of legal action before we even go back out there.
I think we’ll enjoy the holiday at their hotel (which will obviously be very nice so that they can get us to pay for another deal. We won’t be!).

I found this,

How are debit card purchases protected?
Chargeback lets you claim a refund for goods that have not arrived or arrived damaged, goods that are different to how they were described, or if the merchant stops trading.

You get protection through the Chargeback scheme for purchases made using all UK debit cards, including:

Visa and Visa Electron cards
MasterCard debit cards
Maestro debit cards

Hmmm not sure if this would work, Rehab. I’ve signed all their documents, so they’ve probably got me now!

You could try, nothing ventured, but good luck, i am sorry to hear of your plight, the bastards shouil be hung.

Don’t think they would be able to help as it happened abroad, working under different laws etc out there.

If they had used that approach in the UK then maybe something might have been able to be done under UK law

At no time were they forced at gunpoint to take the scratch card or into a car to be whisked away. No way were they forced to sign anything either it was their choice. Unfortunately not being aware of this type of scam like many other before fell for it on the promise of getting something for nothing.

So should I for being such an idiot!:frowning:

Hmm, interesting Rehab. I recently tried this for a car hire which was pre-paid and the company ceased trading before the hire date. I was told that using a debit card was just like writing a cheque, when it is cashed there is no comeback so I had no redress
 :confused:

Floydy

I do feel for you being caught out and sure as hell it won’t happen again to you. My wife and I nearly fell for a similar scam as I have already posted.

Like all tricksters they generally work just within the country’s laws, even here in the UK.

an example is what a person I knew well did, he sold half bras on the internet. Women bought them as they were cheaper than anywhere else. yes they were half bras either left cup or right cup as he cut them in half.
Totally legal believe it or not ,not even misleading adverts trading standards couldn’t touch him.

Barry, it the company has gone into liquidation, owing to lack of money, there are strict rules on who gets any money from their assets. I think outstanding wages come first but I cant remember the priority of rest of the their debts. I have a feeling that people who have purchased goods or services come close to the bottom
 and there is usually no money left to pay them!

That was my understanding Twink, but Rehab was implying the card issuer was also liable for the bad debt, which I had been informed wasn’t the case
 :confused:

I hope all works out well for you Floydy .

Just an added extra , a few years ago two friends were invited to a hotel to listen to a talk on timeshare , it stated on the paperwork they would have a free weekend away in the lake district just by attending the so called seminar . My two friends went , leaving all debit and credit cards at home , they sat through the hard sell and tremendous pressure to sign up for timeshare and her husband said , I’m here for the free holiday , over and over again , they had been fed and well watered yet the pressure continued , again and again he said I’m here for the free weekend holiday , guess what , they got there free holiday too in a nice cottage .

He told them at the end of the day he had no cards on him , I expect they were not too happy . Clever though

Hope things work out for you Floydy , I so hate scammers and con artists

I don’t think that’s strictly true. Debit cards aren’t covered by the same legislation as credit cards but this article which mentions chargeback protection for debit cards is worth a read.

I still think it is worth taking legal advice Floydy and Citizens Advice is free.

Oh dear Floydy
 Can’t add anything else here, except I do hope it all works out. :shock:

Thanks all.
I’ll keep this thread open and let you know of any further developments.
I’m thinking of contacting Watchdog and certainly Trip Advisor - see what they say about all this.