High trees this has to stop

Eliza, I don’t want to worry you, but could the dead tree be dangerous now when the gales start next winter? It won’t get blown down on you, will it?

no Mups the two conifers that was closest to me the tenant felled them when they had died , The one that worries me is still alive and it does blow in the Gales maybe i should on the next windy day put the fear of God into the Estate agent .

Here a couple of pics of the size of the neighbours trees next to my fence:

And -

I dont understand why Trees are allowed to grow that tall ,Id be very concerned if i was the owner .Theres Fruit Trees at the Bottom of my garden that have no been pruned since the owner died they stand about 20ft , and are dropping rotten fruit into my garden , Ive pruned the closest brances that was over hanging my Green house , but to do the other that bend over in the wind i need to buy an extenting
once again its property renting out ,I heard the new owner telling the tenants to not touch the shrubbery round the fence . So i have to prune their shrubs that are encroching over the Boundary

Thing with these is Eliza, they are so tall now, I can’t reach the overhanging branches, and I don’t see why I should have to pay a small fortune for a tree fella to come in and cut somebody’s else’s!

2 Likes

I agree with this wholeheartedly. It’s their trees, they should deal with them. I mean, if I were to pay for someone to cut back the tree branches at my bit, I would be sending the guy the bill!

Thing is Pixie, what do I do if they won’t?
I only have a small garden here, so they are too near the house for my likeing. If they were 100 yards away I wouldn’t bother so much, but some of these are only about 15-20 ft away.
Think I’ll have a word with the council, but bet they don’t want to know.

2 Likes

How well do you get on with those neighbours, Mups? Perhaps a chat would help - say you are very worried about the trees and would they mind cutting them. If they say they won’t, then say you will take care of it and be sending them the bill, along with the branches.

I wouldn’t mind deciduous trees at the bottom of the garden as long as it’s a big garden …well I lived in a forest for 30 years so!
But Leylandii absolutely not, the oldest Leylandii at a 130ft and still growing. Nightmare.

Neither of them speak if they can avoid it, Pixie.
Both men. One is very odd, a bit creepy even, and doesn’t speak unless you practically stand in front of him and say something.
The other one in the big posh house, is pig ignorant. I wrote him a letter about the subsidence years ago, gave him my address and phone number to respond, and he couldn’t be bothered.
He is quite verbally aggressive on the couple of times I have spoken to him, not a nice man to approach on my own.
I have written him a letter, being very polite, but a bit worried about putting it through his door now.
He will either bin it and ignore me, or get nasty.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree Ripple. Unfortunately these are all Leyandii, and as you say, they just keep growing. I believe they grow about 3ft a year.

1 Like

Well you don’t need that stress in your life. What about the council…are they any good? If you point out to them (in writing) that you are giving them due warning of the danger of the trees blowing over, and that they will be liable for any accidents which occur due to the inclement weather, I’m fairly sure they will get their tree choppers up there pretty darn quickly!

Phoned the council this morning Pixie. They pass you round from one department to the next, none of them really wanting to get involved.
I thought it might be Environmental Health, but they wouldn’t even put me through to them to ask about it. She told me to gt a solicitor on to them, silly moo. I can’t afford that.

After going in round in circles and ending up back at the switchboard, another lady took my details and said she would email Planning and ask them to contact me.
I’d never have thought of it being about Planning, but what do I know! image

1 Like

There are times when ring barking seems like a good idea :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Me neither? But I hope someone does get back to you and they don’t just pass it on until they hope you forget about it. :+1:

1 Like

These are seriously big trees Mups
I wish you luck with planning I have rang them umpteen times not about trees about my neighbours intrusive build ( nothing like his original plans ) and they just pass me around the houses.
I usually end up with the receptionist or the boy who left school last week .

Yes they are Muddy, and it is so unfair. They are fine in Parks and Fields, but should be illegal in ordinary domestic properties IMO.
It is so hard to get help nowadays, isn’t it.

This is my garden this morning . These trees are much taller than appears here by the afternoon the garden will be in shade . The people who used to own the house refused to cut anything and berated me for cutting the hedge which as you can see is quite high . There is an acre of land and a large beech hedge behind the trees so it wasn’t like they didn’t have privacy .
Thank goodness they have gone and the new owners are nicer . I asked if we could trim the two trees at the back as it was just a high wall of green . At first they refused but then relented ( we have to pay and take the stuff away of course ) since then we cut them every year ( we did it last month ) as field maples grow so quickly .
I would like to thin out the remaining trees ( might have to do this surreptitiously) so some light can at least filter through .

In the absence of agent orange, hexazinone injected into the soil around the tree base will usually see the off within 2-3 applications. I got shot of Japanese knotweed at two of my properties with that and very efficient it was too. Without the prolific JK present I would have paid considerably more for the pair of semis.

That’s all very well LD, but these trees are on somebody else’s property, not mine!
I am not getting caught going onto someone else’s garden to poison their trees, thanks - even if I could get hold of the stuff.
You trying to get me carted off? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: