Hernias - anyone else suffered with them?

Hey Pathfinder, thanks for this bud :cool:

Yes, four weeks now since the first op and I’m ready to start getting back to fitness once again. It will be gradual, I won’t do anything silly and certain styles of training will be no more i.e. the really heavy work. What’s the point of that anyway at age 55?
Nope, starting tomorrow (Friday) I’m going more the cardio way. I plan to begin with some treadmill and bike work, maybe some cross-trainer stuff. Definitely now rowing though, as that would involve too much bending and ‘crease up’ the hernia wound too much.
Light weights will be on the agenda too, but I’m drawing the line at free weights for now, sticking to seated machine work and high reps. I think that will work quite well.
I do have some plans in place for when I’m completely free of these operations/recovery, and that is to venture outdoors for some field jogging. Jan 1st is my plan to start with all that. :cool:

Great stuff mate all the best :cool2::023:

Good that it’s all going well for you Floydy, you need your life back by what I’ve been reading. :slight_smile:

You must be feeling like the turkey does just before Christmas! :wink: :smiley:

Good luck with it anyway, hope it all goes well for you. :slight_smile:

Thanks Baz :slight_smile:
It’s been a long, slow process but the worst is over with now. The second op comes soon and they tell me that it should be done via keyhole surgery which shouldn’t be anywhere near as restrictive for me.
I went back to the gym yesterday so I’m gradually and tentatively getting my life back in order :cool:

I’m so happy for you Floydy. Hoping you will be well enough to enjoy Christmas and the New year celebrations.

Annie, that’s so kind. Thank you and likewise to you :hug:
One more operation next week and starting afresh from the new year. It’s been a problematic 2020 to say the least!

Most people have problems Floydy, I’ve had lots of them over the last 45 years, the secret to getting them sorted is how you deal with them. It’s really a case of keeping positive and not letting things get you down. If that starts happening then get busy, do different things. You sound like a determined character so I feel sure you will beat all the problems then life will be good once again. :slight_smile:

You’ve got over, or are getting over having the one hernia fixed and if the other one is done keyhole it’s reckoned to be very much less recovery time. Hope all goes well for you with that operation. :slight_smile:

Ey? I’m still in 2019 Floydy.
You got a time machine? :lol:

Haha! I’m wishing my life away there, Mups! :103: Let’s hope next year will straighten itself out :cool:

The second operation went very well today (Thurs). A lovely hospital and very friendly.
Keyhole surgery this time and out by 1.30pm.
Feels much more comfortable than the first op.:cool:

That’s a good job done then. Well done.

How long is the recovery time for returning to work, Floydy?

(Bet you won’t want to go back now).:wink:

Glad it went well Floydy… :slight_smile:

All the best for a speedy recovery.

Thanks all, much appreciated :cool:, It’s been a long drag :confused:

I have some holidays from work to add on to my absence so I reckon it will be after Christmas now that I get back to work. I’ve discussed this my boss anyway and he’s fine with it so I just need to pop and see him after working out the days and what I’m owed. :cool:

Good to hear that all went well, Floydy. Here’s to a speedy recovery.

I as thinking about you hoping it all went to plan…so pleased it did…you can put it all behind you now…onwards and upwards…Happy Christmas :wink:

Great News Floydy, I’m so chuffed it’s turned out alright for you, but don’t be too eager to start exercising again…:018:

Thank you so much :cool:

I need to ring my boss today and let him know it’s all gone well. I won’t be driving for a couple of weeks but I’ll probably invite him over to my house for a coffee. He’s been very supportive and helpful.

No Bob, training is off the agenda for a while. I plan to do some treadmill work after Christmas to get me in the mindset for outdoor running again, but there’s no rush.

I’m pleased you’re ok Floydy.
Do you know why they didn’t use keyhole surgery on the first one?

Hope it won’t be too long before you get back to full fitness.:slight_smile:

Thank you, Carol :slight_smile:

They had to do open surgery the first time because the hernia had grown so big. They needed more space to operate. There’s a whole wad of mesh in there on that right hand side, whereas the left one isn’t even noticeable. It’s quite amazing what they can do these days.