Hello from new member

Yes, it was often windy. We also got snow quite often. Some older people here will remember the 1963 winter when we had weeks of snow down our farm road. I don’t anything like that since. I think the climate has change a bit since. I used to go skiing in Glen Shee but there hasn’t been much of it for quite a few years. I’m rambling - I apologise…

Don’t apologise. I enjoy our chats. You must have had a lot of snow to be able to go skiing! My grandparents retired to Walney Island in Cumbria (many moons ago!) and it was windy there too and with very few trees being so close to the coast. The climate is definitely changing. Although it is hotter it also seems wetter to me. I don’t remember it raining as much as it does now. It rains so much sometimes the garden floods! But the flooding may also be caused by the extra houses that have been built behind me. It used to be farmland so the water could drain away. Now it is idividual gardens with fences and paving so the water builds up. See I am rambling now!

The Ski slope was in the mountains in Glen Shee. It had a hairpin bend called “The Devil’s Elbow”. I know that Cumbria is a bit wet - my daughter lives there. One of the wetter areas in Scotland is North William but it generally has the Gulf Stream temperate it. Snow? This was all we had a couple of years ago:

1 Like

A bit more gentle than the M1 !.
I have been to Cork a few times but it was to an industrial steel mill.

It seems to have just snowed on your dog! Yes Cumbria is wet and windy. The Lake District tends to be wet or at least it rains whenever I go! Manchester is also wet and has been quite windy too at times. The last storm blew a small tree down in my back garden!

I like the names of the places in Scotland. The Devil’s Elbow sound like it is describing a very sharp drop. Great for skiing I imagine!

How about Ecclefechan ? Near Lockerbie where they had the disaster.

Great name! I like Lockerbie too! And that lakes are lochs and valleys glens. Much nicer more poetic names somehow.

And Scotland has this lovely place too: Been there.

St Andrews bottle dungeon

Featured snippet from the web

In 1445 James III was born in the castle. St Andrews also served as a fairly notorious gaol. Prisoners were simply dropped into a 24-foot deep bottle dungeon, cut from the solid rock below the north-west tower. There, in an airless chamber, they could be ignored or forgotten.

I am glad I didn’t live in that day and age! Whatever they did, they didn’t deserve that!

Not pleasant so a different topic. We have excellent neighbours and we make sure that we care for each other. Some, like your mother, are are elderly so we make regular visits. A year or so we had the Queen’s 70th so we had a bunch of our neighbours in and my dear wife prepared it. This lady was 84 and she likes a wine.

I wish we had something like that. We feel isolated here at times. I have one or two neighbours who I could turn to if I really needed help, but they have lives of their own and are not around to chat to most of the time, just for the occasional ‘Hello, how are you?’ type thing once a week. The lady in the photo looks very happy! You and your wife obviously prepared something nice!

Hello and welcome from South Yorkshire Tallu, sorry I’m a bit late to the party…But Mrs Fox keeps me on a tight reign…
:pleading_face:

She is a lovely lady. We are planning the Charles coronation in a few weeks and this time it going to be at her house this time. We shall round up the usual suspects !!

Hello! Very funny! And I’m pleased to meet you!

1 Like

Sounds like you will have a good time! Do you decorate the street? For the Queen’s Silver Jubilee in 1977 people here hung up bunting in the street and had an outdoor party, but these days no one bothers. Its a shame, really.

Yes, we did in 1977. We had quite a few in our street and closed for traffic. Queen Elizabeth and my daughter, Elizabeth, that same year. Och, it makes me ancient !

Tallu

How are you doing?

Sorry for not replying sooner. I’m not so bad at the moment - thank you for asking! Just been a bit preoccupied with other things! How are you and your lady wife? Good I hope!

Oh, no problem. We miss the dog but we still walk quite a bit. Today we went to the pharmacy- it’s an hour there and back. It was closed. Good Friday! Silly me. Oh well, I cut the grass instead.