Hedgehogs - have you seen any recently?

I saw one in the garden a few weeks ago… he was so big much bigger than I’ve seen before,

I bet it’s a relative of mine summer, mine was HUGE :smiley:

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Seeing this thread now has piqued my interest because we’ve just discovered that we have a resident hedgehog.

We had a great pile of rubbish next to our wood pile and were removing all of that to take to the dump, when Marge discovered an old plastic bag (in which logs were delivered) hiding a sleeping hedgehog. Naturally, we carefully replaced the bag and hoped that the hedgehog might not notice!

I don’t know whether it is hibernating yet and in any event, having removed most of its covering we are wondering whether the plastic bag itself will be adequate protection for it when the cold weather comes.

I’d really appreciate some advice from the hedgehog experts on here as to what is best for us to do to help it survive. Would it benefit from more covering?

I already put out a dish of water, but have done that for a while now in case of any wildlife needing it. It is a few yards from the hedgehog, but I assume it would already be aware of it.

Ooooh, how lovely finding one asleep. :smiley: Not sure about the plastic bag though - is he/she in it? … Hope The Hog is breathing and not… you know? :shock:

I know they say about leaving areas where there are things they can crawl under/in, like leaves/logs that short of thing. And as you probably know, some have the Hog Sheds/Houses etc for them. (home made or bought)

Here’s the site Puddle Duck mentioned:

There will be plenty online I would think, with them supposedly being in decline :frowning:

Just one more point. Apparently, they can hibernate end Sept/October/ November, but that is another problem for them, as they may have gone under piles of wood logs or wherever bonfire wood might be stacked… No need to say more ! :frowning:

Thanks Pesta.

No, it is still breathing! The plastic bag is not what you might think it is. It is a thick, woven plastic, strong enough to contain logs and is well strong enough to support itself. I am certain that it wouldn’t suffocate the hedgehog, but I am concerned that it might not provide enough insulation for it from the cold.

I’ll have a good look at your link tomorrow, thanks.

http://i63.tinypic.com/4udt6o.jpg

What a beautiful picture! :slight_smile:

Further to my last, I think I’ll pile some dead leaves over the hedgehog’s existing ‘home’. That should provide some insulation without much weight.

I’d put some hard cat food down, but our cats would be sure to find it. Probably best to leave them to find their own food, then, but I will keep the water bowl topped up. I use pond water as, like our cats, hedgehogs probably don’t like the smell of tap water.

I reckon it must be about ten years since I saw a hedgehog in the garden. Noisy little fellows.

I keep seeing one in my garden, sometimes out the back and sometimes out the front.

I’m assuming it’s the same one but I don’t know how it’s getting between the 2 gardens as there’s no gaps in the fence and I don’t think it could squeeze under the gate. Maybe there’s 2 :017: :102:

I’m considering getting a Hog House just in case it wants to hibernate in my garden.

Here are a couple more informative links.

I have just had a peep inside my hedgehog house , and something has had a scout about. :041:

I think it may be the hedgehog(s) as I put some mealworms in the entrance tunnel. As far as I know, only birds eat those beside the hedgehogs The hay that I put in has been spread out and no sign of the mealworms.
Mealworms they love, but they are no good for them with regard to food value , and babies don’t develop their bones properly if they rely on them, Mealworms to hogs are as chocolate is to us ! I just put a sprinkling down, but now they know it’s there, I won’t put any more.

I also read that they can have babies in September. Think it might have been on the above links somewhere.

Hedgehog Lovers Unite.
Good luck. :smiley:

I have never seen one around here. I had to google it to see what they look like. We have rabbits, squirrels, coyotes, and another little things, I can’t remember the name of it right at the moment, it is very tiny…

We have lots of woodpeckers, bluejays, and many other very pretty birds.

And snakes of course…

…I dont’ have a garden, I am not a gardener, except for a small amount of flowers, I live on the edge of the forest, so I see a lot of the wild things, like wild trilliums, bleeding hearts, and other interesting things among the trees. I should get busy and take more pictures, but I am so tired and have so many medical issues, trying to stay alive, hahaha.

Maybe this week-end, I will go out and take some pictures if the weather is nice.

Mouse?

Just as an update, there is a bit more info for us. The hedgehogs will be hibernating now.
I have been feeding mine ever since summer. Last night was the first night they didn’t arrive before 10pm . Regular as clockwork arrives at about 8.30pm. Always first at the dinner table, and she’s very pretty . So I’m wondering if they are digging in. I have a feeling one (o more) are in my garage too, which is a pain as now it will be next year before being able to clear out the junk. Ah well, that’s life !

A few more tips.

For anyone into thermal photography, these are recommended by People’s Trust for Endangered Species. (Varying prices)

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/43750726_1131777883656446_4865280159101485056_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&oh=63a2feab5c68eedeba8386712158e7a6&oe=5C3DC9E5

Daughters Partner had two or three hibernating in their garden. The hogs have very desirable residences & spent last Winter with them as well.

The hog in my garden visits every night now, I’ve been leaving food out regularly. I made a hog house and something has definitely been having a nose around inside it.

Prickly subject…

I am not certain whether or not I’ve ever actually seen a hedgehog… However, I do watch “The Incredible Doctor Pol” who is a veterinarian in northern Michigan, USA. On his show that I watched last week…someone brought their pet hedgehog to his clinic, for a checkup… OMGoodness, it was just the cutest little guy and it kept trying to hide from the vet by curling up…so adorable. :049: