Healthy Desserts/Treat Recipes Thread

Inspired by @Meg’s post in another thread:

I thought perhaps we could have a recipes thread where you can post recipes to ‘healthier’ versions of treats or desserts - I’m sure lots of people will be interested in this thread :lol:

Am i allowed to include a main meal rather than a dessert or treat?

1 Like

Here’s one I’ve tried that is actually really nice - they taste like Bounty!

• 1 packet of almonds (baked first, gas mark 4 for 10/15 mins)
  • 4 largish dates
  • Half a coconut, shredded
  • Some coconut oil (to bind it all together)
  • Green & Black cocoa powder (unsweetened)

Let the almonds cool, then put in a blender and when bound together roll into balls and then sprinkle some shredded coconut (as fine as you can get it) over the top.

I didn’t do them right tho, was supposed to shred the coconut but I just used the normal chop tool (was being lazy!) :lol:

They should look something like this when done:

Here’s the original recipe which mine is adapted from (I don’t use maple syrup):

2 Likes

Probably best to start a separate thread for those if one doesn’t already exist FP :023:

What is ‘chocolate concrete’ ?

3 Likes

It’s a chocolate biscuity type thing they used to serve up at school dinners with luminous pink or green custard. When it’s warm it’s soft enough to eat with a spoon, when it’s cold, it sets hard like shortbread

1 Like

I like pink custard…I don’t know if you can still buy pink custard powder it use to come in sachets

2 Likes

Thank you, Maree.

1 Like

Banana instead of ice cream!

I make these a lot, we call them banana magnums. Cut bananas in half, put on a stick, wrap in foil and freeze. When you want to eat them, melt some chocolate in the microwave, dip in the still frozen banana, add some sprinkles. I like walnuts but the old man is partial to hundreds and thousands!

2 Likes

And we like one ingredient banana ice cream too. I don’t usually re freeze mine, we eat it as soon as it’s been whipped, like soft scoop. It’s good with maple syrup and salt flakes, like salted caramel. I know it doesn’t sound as if it will taste like real ice cream, but it does!

3 Likes

And banana and strawberry lollies!

• 250g strawberries
  • 1 medium banana, chopped into chunks
  • 100ml Coconut milk or any milk you fancy
  • 2 tbsp sugar/honey/maple syrup, if needed

Method

Rinse the strawberries and remove the green stalks and the leafy bit (called the hull).

Whizz the strawberries in a blender along with the banana and milk.

Have a taste and add a little sugar or honey if the mixture is not sweet enough.

Strain the mixture through a sieve to get rid of the seeds.

Pour the mixture into ice lolly moulds, cover with lids (adding sticks, if necessary) and freeze for at least 4 hours.

3 Likes

I wonder if you can use Kefir for that (fermented milk) - they do look nice! :smiley:

1 Like

Looks as if it would work :+1:

1 Like

Those remind me of a “rude food” book I came across as a teenager…:smiley:

2 Likes

Azz have you ever managed to culture kefir from the grains yourself? I tried this once but all that I ended up with was sour milk.

I am pretty sure that you can substitute sour cream with kefir in baked cheesecake. I haven’t tried it but the chemical reaction should be the same. I adapt the philadelphia baked cheesecake recipe with organic creme fraiche, use marscapone instead of philadelphia and reduce the sugar to 25% or less of the original. The main indulgence is the digestive/butter base. I also use once less egg as I make it gluten free. If you want a cake that is really light but also has that home baked feel, this is a great recipe (with the reduced sugar suggestion)

https://www.philadelphia.co.uk/recipes/traditional-baked-cheesecake?r=9103

2 Likes

I have Annie - I used to have it daily :smiley:

Just make sure you get good quality grains and good quality milk (I used unhomogenised organic milk from Waitrose - but RAW milk is better).

I stopped making it a little while ago tho as ideally I would like to find RAW A2 cows milk, or RAW goats milk as those contain proteins that are easier for humans to digest.

2 Likes

I thread pieces of fruit on a wooden skewer ……. Banana, mango, strawberry etc. then I dip in very healthy 0%fat Greek Yoghourt and put in freezer. Quite delicious in this hot weather. The best yoghourt I have found is in Aldi, nice and thick and much cheaper than Tesco and Morrisons.

3 Likes