Healthier Food Alternatives

Annie you may well be right
All the white stuff you mention I have already cut out and luckily I love sweet potatoes .
The birds can have the rest of the gluten free loaf those rooks have strong stomachs!.

2 Likes

Fair enough, no point in eating foods that disagree with you.

A day without meat is a day without joy.

Personally I think the worst thing in the modern diet is sugar so, as much as I like things like ice cream, I do try to cut out as much sugar as possible after reading this book many years ago.

I did a food journal for a year and found that dairy and meat products don’t agree with me, so I’ve been a dietary vegan for many years.

As an aside, I’ve enjoyed your posts in this thread. Welcome to the forum, Jacky! If you’re interested, you could start a thread in the introductions section.

Just hit the orange New Thread button.

I’m happy you’re here and would love to hear more about you. :slight_smile:

Particularly hidden sugar in savoury foods etc.

1 Like

It doesn’t half make your food taste good though. I’ve eaten copious amounts of sugar my whole life, and there’s nothing wrong with me…
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:
Incidentally Bruce, we are going to call in at a Greggs for a sandwich at lunchtime and the that picture of the doughnut with the hundreds and thousands on looks exactly like the one I usually choose…
:astonished:
I must say though, I am trying to cut down on the cakes and biscuits. I very rarely eat crisps or drink fizzy, sugary drinks. I eat plenty of fish and veg, but never been too keen on fruit except an apple every day.

That must be the secret. An apple a day. . .

Nature’s health food.

1 Like

I agree with your comments whole heartedly. After two years of research and watching hundreds of hours of health videos, I have come to similar conclusions as your hands on research.
Longevity has a lot to do with the genes we were given.
Processed food is a killer no matter how you look at it - sugar, inflammatory oils and lots of chemicals.
Carbohydrates - all those white things you mentioned - depends if you need to lose weight or not, if not then eat the ones that are more nutrious dense. This would not include sugar. Gluten / wheat - this really depends upon the individual and how they respond to cereal grains. For me I find cereal grain addictive and inflammatory. I can eat rice, potatoes and sweet potatoes in small quantities.
Meat - I try to get grass fed where ever possible and stay away from feedlot meat.

And your right - any diet framework can be unhealthy - meat or vegan - it really depends on your choices. Personall I prefer meat and veggies and good quality oils. With some berries and a little yogurt for dessert. Nuts for a snack.

1 Like