Healthier Food Alternatives

I’m not a vegetarian but I do go meatless 1 or 2 days a week.

I like vegetables but have to avoid those with a high iron content for medical reasons.

I’m not keen on fruit but I like it dried and I get if from here:

https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/

Buy Whole Foods Online is an international health food supplier, based in Minster, Ramsgate, North East Kent. We deliver top quality natural and organic wholefoods, and related healthy living products, directly to homes and businesses across the UK and Europe.

My favourite:

These sweet and tasty organic banana chips have been fried and sweetened with sugar.

A great natural confectionery - but also amazing with nuts, ice cream, brownies, coconut, other dried fruits and of course - dipped in melted homemade chocolate!

250g £2.58 (£1.03 per 100g)

500g £4.08 (£0.82 per 100g)

1kg £7.13 (£0.71 per 100g)

2 Likes

Just curious. Why are those substitutes healthier than the originals?

I like oat bran too, I started adding it to my Weet-bix because I read that it reduced cholesterol (not that I have a cholesterol problem) but have become addicted to the stuff so I even add it to porridge.

BTW all food is organic. Man cannot live by coal alone.

1 Like

All of our bodies are quite different and eliminating those foods that disagree with you will go a long way to improving your health.

Have you found a pattern to what works for you and what doesn’t?

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about this thread a lot. My Dad lived to 86 and my Mum lived to almost 97. Their generation were brought up on homegrown veg, cheap cuts of meat and cheap stuff that filled you up but would be frowned upon now. Like dripping, suet puddings, yorkshire puddings, dumplings, bread and milk pudding sprinkled with sugar etc.

The nearest they ever got to health foods was when they changed from butter to Flora margarine very late in life.:rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I applaude your initiative to eat healthier.

When you go to the processed Vegan products check for all the added chemicals and preservatives. They can be as bad in Vegan products as in meat based products.

Very similar to my parents.

It was a very different time. We did not have all the processed food with poor quality oils, loaded with preservatives and multiple forms of sugar. Most foods were not highly refined.

And margarine certainly was not healthier than butter.

Food processing and advertising telling us how good these foods are, have done us in.

I don’t know that they are healthier per se but they are foods that disagree with me so I am trying to replace them . .

Our parents may have ate the wrong stuff but they walked more and didn’t spend hours on devices sat down .

4 Likes

That is very true. Both my parents were very physically active as part of their everyday life.

You will likely feel better if you replace anything that disagrees with you.

Hopefully so .

To be fair we haven’t seen nigella on I’m a celeb so we can’t compare what she would look like without the make up and hair dye, or the cosmetic dentistry and glam wardrobe.

2 Likes

I haven’t eaten gluten for ten years (except by accident in contaminated foods). I don’t eat red meat. No takeaways, no deep fried food, no chips. So recently trying to cut down meat and eat plant based foods e.g veggie sausages, why do I feel less healthy?

It’s swings and roundabouts. I think rather than buy processed veggie foods eat lean meats and fish and severely cut down on carbs and white foods such as potatoes, white flour, white rice, cakes, pies, white sugar, pasta etc. Avoid processed food altogether if you can. Sweet potatoes instead of regular. A high balance of veg on the plate. Ideally not roasted or grilled. No crisps or biscuits.

I would not recommend anyone cuts out gluten unless you have a severe reaction to it. You can miss out on nutrients by doing so. There are very few brands of gluten free bread that are palatable. Schar can be ok, but better toasted, M&S do some ok sliced wholegrain bread, Bfree do a nice brown sliced loaf. But it’s expensive and for health reasons you’re better off eating rye bread or pumpernickel if you can eat gluten with no reaction.

What I have found is that it’s not the content but whether the food is processed that is bad for your health and wellbeing. But it all depends on your genes, so if you are sensitive to these things because of lacking whatever enzyme or gut flora that your pals have in plentiful supply you can likely not just eat anything and live to 110. (but they might)

NB I also have vegan / veggie friends who have suffered from serious illnesses in their late 40s to 50s despite their choices. It should be an ethical choice either for animal welfare or the planet, but it doesn’t guarantee long term health. I personally think we were made to eat meat /fish occasionally. But we were not designed to live to 110 or even more than 50.

Annie you may well be right
All the white stuff you mention I have already cut out and luckily I love sweet potatoes .
The birds can have the rest of the gluten free loaf those rooks have strong stomachs!.

2 Likes

Fair enough, no point in eating foods that disagree with you.

A day without meat is a day without joy.

Personally I think the worst thing in the modern diet is sugar so, as much as I like things like ice cream, I do try to cut out as much sugar as possible after reading this book many years ago.

I did a food journal for a year and found that dairy and meat products don’t agree with me, so I’ve been a dietary vegan for many years.

As an aside, I’ve enjoyed your posts in this thread. Welcome to the forum, Jacky! If you’re interested, you could start a thread in the introductions section.

Just hit the orange New Thread button.

I’m happy you’re here and would love to hear more about you. :slight_smile:

Particularly hidden sugar in savoury foods etc.

1 Like

It doesn’t half make your food taste good though. I’ve eaten copious amounts of sugar my whole life, and there’s nothing wrong with me…
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:
Incidentally Bruce, we are going to call in at a Greggs for a sandwich at lunchtime and the that picture of the doughnut with the hundreds and thousands on looks exactly like the one I usually choose…
:astonished:
I must say though, I am trying to cut down on the cakes and biscuits. I very rarely eat crisps or drink fizzy, sugary drinks. I eat plenty of fish and veg, but never been too keen on fruit except an apple every day.

That must be the secret. An apple a day. . .

Nature’s health food.

1 Like

I agree with your comments whole heartedly. After two years of research and watching hundreds of hours of health videos, I have come to similar conclusions as your hands on research.
Longevity has a lot to do with the genes we were given.
Processed food is a killer no matter how you look at it - sugar, inflammatory oils and lots of chemicals.
Carbohydrates - all those white things you mentioned - depends if you need to lose weight or not, if not then eat the ones that are more nutrious dense. This would not include sugar. Gluten / wheat - this really depends upon the individual and how they respond to cereal grains. For me I find cereal grain addictive and inflammatory. I can eat rice, potatoes and sweet potatoes in small quantities.
Meat - I try to get grass fed where ever possible and stay away from feedlot meat.

And your right - any diet framework can be unhealthy - meat or vegan - it really depends on your choices. Personall I prefer meat and veggies and good quality oils. With some berries and a little yogurt for dessert. Nuts for a snack.

1 Like