Have you ever protested or campaigned for/against anything?

In case you haven’t noticed, many of you here are quite outspoken :lol: so I wondered, have any of you been part of any campaigns or protests? If so I’d love to hear more… I bet you have some interesting stories to share!! :003:

In the 60s I used to be a member of the CND and went on all the marches and later I was a volunteer with the St Mungo community which fed the homeless in London (mainly with my gf at the time).

Don’t have much to do with politics these days but occasionally collar my local MPs in the street and give them a good talking to. It has to be said less so since both moved their electorate offices to a different suburb.

2 Likes

I did go on a student march in Cardiff once protesting about education cuts.
Way back in the seventies.
When I was a student in Cardiff.
I was seen on local news.
But that is about it.

1 Like

CND like Bruce but in the 80’s.Mainly because my BH was keen and Thatcher hated them.
I wasn’t convinced though.Banning weapons is not the answer, you have to remove the need for them.

2 Likes

The last CND rally I went on was in the mid 60s, I recall Peter O’Toole was one of the speakers in Trafalgar Square. There was a certain irony in this because at the time one of my jobs was maintaining the teleprinters in the RSG (code named Dumpy) under Dover Castle. The CND knew exactly where all the RSGs in the UK were at the time and used to protest outside them every year.

Another job was to occasionally maintain the WB400 system which was the cold war early warning system in the UK at the time (remember the four minute warning?)

Under the terms of the Official Secrets Act that I signed I probably could be charged for telling you this but the RSGs are defunct and the WB400 is an antique that used to go “beep” so I doubt they would bother.

RSG = Regional Seat of Government

edit - I found this Dover Castle RSG (Dumpy Level) – Subterranea Britannica

1 Like

Yes the poll tax

3 Likes

I am always active with Anti Semitism movements.

2 Likes

Good for you …I think everyone in Scotland did

1 Like

Yes,dh and i protested with other parents about the Council stopping the free school bus service for the disabled.
Mainly because it was very unfair,and it would have meant some parents would have to catch 2/3 busses to and from 4 times a day if they did not have transport.
Strangely some teachers agrees with the council,until i pointed out thet if transport is stopped i would take me step daughter out of school,others said the same,then i told the teachers that they could well be out of a job,no children to teach etc.
2 parents said the have a Mobility car so they were not bothered either way.
I shall refrain my what comments were to them.

We won.

1 Like

I walked with Richard Tice on the Brexit walk from Newcastle to London. Nigel Farage appeared occasionally. There were about 200 of us on the 20 miles that my daughter and I walked from Ackworth (where I was a postman) to Doncaster.
Too busy earning a living in my younger day to be swanning around the country protesting about things that were out of my control. Only university students or retirees now have the time to make a nuisance of themselves.

1 Like