Have you ever been taken advantage of by Car Sales Person?

I welcome the day the Federal Government introduces more stringent laws
dealing with buying a Motor Vehicle.
Salesmen can spot a sucker instantly and will take full advantage of them.
Several years ago I went to a Dealership to purchase a $14,000 vehicle.
By the time I walked out, the price had risen to $21,000.
With the sales person pressuring me to add all the extras such as $1000 for window tinting.
Rim Insurance, their Car Insurance etc. I later received a refund for the rim insurance because it was found to be illegal.
My wish is that before the contract is signed the full cost of the loan must be shown to the purchaser. That way they can make an informed decision.
Drive away, No More to Pay should also be obligatory.

With my latest purchase I had someone with me for moral support.
I went in and said I want to buy that vehicle, at the advertised price, with no extras.
The salesperson person agreed and I drove away pleased.

2 Likes

Do not, I repeat, give your keys to the salesman until you are sure you want the Car in question on the yard. Take a Cab, let the lil woman drop you off while you look, drive and talk about a certain price reduction of the list.

Leasing with warranty is most likely a wise choice with the EV’s. Well that’s my optional deciding point.

What was it about the “Stealer Ships?”

1 Like

Yes, I guess I have, even if I negotiated a ten percent reduction on the initial price. It’s usually a seller’s market and if you really want a certain car, you’ll have to make concessions. It helps to have a clear objective, though, and to know your walk-away point.

1 Like

Never. I always arm myself with more figures than the Salesman :grin:

2 Likes

One tried but failed,miserably,much to my amusement.

2 Likes

Yes. She trapped me in the corner of the showroom and made me have sex with her.

1 Like

No, because I don’t deal with the Scunners. I have a trusted friend who has a garage and he’s been dealing with my motoring for years.

1 Like

Whenever I have wanted to change my car my younger son has visited the dealership with me - he is very good at negotiating and I believe because of this I’ve always had a good deal.

3 Likes

One time, I was at one dealership and my wife was at another dealership and we were in the phone with each other. We had identical vehicles at each place and we played them against each other. A $35,000 vehicle and walked out paying $20,800.

2 Likes

I trade my vehicle every three/four years. Always negotiate with salesmen myself.
I get the best trade in values ever!
My mother used to go with me and sit in the rep’s office while I smiled, told him what I wanted as a dollar figure, then watched as he went back and forth to his supervisor’s office about four or five times. I never wavered, always asked for a bit extra on warranty, or service, until they caved and met my offer.
My mom used to feel badly for the sales guy as she knew how I played. Ruthless, is what she called me.

I quite enjoy bargaining for a new vehicle… :innocent: :grin:

4 Likes

Jethro does it the other way round.
He asked Dell Boy if the car had a MOT. roadworthy certificate.
“Yes But. The Brakes don’t work”.
“No problem. I’ll have it at 20% less. And a Louder Horn fitted”.
:rofl: All the way 2 the Cop Shop.

3 Likes

@Bretrick The 1st business I started up after retiring was a 2nd hand car lot, which became and still is highly successful to this day. Any finance needed by a customer was sourced through the ‘company’ after it obtained its brokerage licence and everything was openly disclosed so the prospective client could see exactly what he/she was agreeing to and signing for. Since that initial start-up period, it has expanded to offer full mechanical servicing and body repairs in another premises very close by. The whole business is now run by my family members.

3 Likes

Nicely maneuvered for used vehicles. As I am purchasing a new vehicle, it wouldn’t have any issues, but my spiffy trade in like new, no wear or tear with pets or food stains, low mileage will bring the car place a good profit when reselling my current vehicle.

Next year? Looking forward to it already. It’s the little things that get me all excited.:grinning:

3 Likes

Now that was the kind of vehicle I trawled all the trade auctions for as I knew very little work would be needed to put the purchase right at the front of my forecourt. Also, low milage was a bonus and that was easily checked via docs and my trusty plug-in readout device👍

3 Likes

Sue car the Honda Civic estate was an ex demo with a few 100 miles on the clock, saved a bundle against brand new

3 Likes

<<< Deal was Salary. Wiff A Company Car.
What Advantages Type or Colour, was down to the Company Buyer.
Whether it was liked or not. Was down to Daughters.
Reliant-Regal-Supervan-III (1)
“Awwww Dad. How could U. I’m walking to school now.”
Bingo. Prob solved. :rofl: 2 >> ?

2 Likes