Have you ever been called for Jury Duty?

Too many perpetrators are let off due to technicalities or errors.
When it is clear cut they committed the crime them there should be no jury trial. A judge alone should sentence the person.

1 Like

Yes, A couple of years ago but I was let off due to health issues. I was mighty relieved too.

1 Like

Have been called 3 times and had 5 trials in all.

The 3 main ones.

First was a rape of a 16 year old found him and the girls mother guilty he got 10 years she got 7 for aiding the rape.

Second one was incest of his 16 daughter who had learning difficulties found guilty he got 7 years.

Third was a father who smashed his daughter head in with a hammer after five days prosecution finish their case and Judge directed us to find a not guilty verdict as there where other people living in the house at the time and it could have been anyone in the house no evidence that the father did it.

How tragic that no one was found guilty. Sometime the law does not work for the victim. :pensive:

2 Likes

That’s no mother!

2 Likes

No, I have never been called for Jury Duty and I hope I never will be.
If called, I would try to be a good citizen and do my duty as best as I can, but I would find it very difficult to sit in judgement on my fellow man.
It must be a very difficult thing to do.

2 Likes

I believe there is a cut off age where you can just say no. At least there is…Or was, in Scotland.
Maybe Google and know for sure, that way if you get a call you will know if your ok to not do it. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I googled it and found that in England you can be called for Jury Service until the age of 75.
You can apply to be excused from jury service for specific reasons, such as a provable illness or disability which prevents you attending but there doesn’t seem to be an option to say “No” just based on age.

I think the cut-off age used to be over 70 but it was raised a few years ago.

My sister was called for Jury Service last year (when she was 69) and was able to defer it until the following year because she had already booked a holiday for the date she was called. She was called again the following year, after her 70th Birthday, and had to do it.

1 Like

I did jury duty a few years ago . The trial lasted a week and the result was the one I wanted . I loved everything about it . It was totally fascinating :grin:

1 Like

Yes about 1990, I was called in at the Old Bailey, I was there for 2 weeks all full pay, lunch provided everything, very interesting, i’m not suppose to tell, but it was Fraud with Arabs. The Old Bailey is a beautiful place.

I think after more than 30 years no one is going to worry about it.