Have any members got an implanted pacemaker or defibrillator?

OGF sorry that you have to go through this but hopefully it will make you feel better and bring you back to normal rhythm. People seem to be able to run ok with a pacemaker, perhaps not so fast as before. I’m sure that it will be an improvement on what you have been through recently. Just an adjustment for you to get used to something new. But as a long distance runner it’s just another challenge in life to overcome.

1 Like

Hi

Life is not good at times and in those times support is needed.

It is important that in those times we give support.

3 Likes

I’m so sorry you have had to give up running Foxy I hope they get you sorted soon…it could be Covid related…as a matter of interest my daughter has just been referred to the Long Covid Clinic some of the main symptoms is racing heart and breathlessness

1 Like

Hi

Well said Summer.

We all have to give up certain things as we get older.

It is not the end of the World.

I am no longer capable of landing a record breaking Great White Shark.

I am now concentrating on landing a World Record breaking Goldfish.

3 Likes

Poor Mr Goldfish :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for your replies everyone it’s made me feel a lot more optimistic.
It was a bit of a shock when I first heard that my heart had so much damage, and I can’t tell you the things I started thinking about… :flushed:

Thanks @Tedc for your brilliant explanation and I’m looking forward to learning more about the electronics. I have even thought about knocking something together in the lab to put me on until they get round to doing me… :boom:

Thanks also to you @swimfeeders that’s cheered me up no end… :smiley:
I’m sorry that treatment is not available for your heart problems, I wish you all the best though and hope to see you around the forum for many years yet. You are a fighter!

Thanks @Percy_Vere, I’ll certainly give it my best shot… :+1:

Cheers @Psmith, perhaps that visit to Oz might still be possible… :sunglasses:

I have to say @Kazz , this cheered me up the most… :running_man: And based on your post, I’ve just sent off my next years London Marathon application… :beer: Cheers!

Thanks @AnnieS, one thing is for sure, I’m realising that my life was probably too regimented and ordered, which probably got me into this mess in the first place. But I’m proud of the things I’ve done, and wouldn’t change anything… :sunglasses: Err! perhaps a marathon win would have been nice… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks @summer and sorry to hear that your daughter is still suffering, send her my love… :hearts:
The fast heart rate and arrhythmia have been present for quite some time summer, long before covid I sorta knew something was wrong. I must admit that the rate of deterioration seems to have speeded up since having covid though, so we can’t rule that out…

3 Likes

@OldGreyFox I am pleased because I had to make the decision as my Aunt had learning disabilities.

1 Like

I’ve had a CRT-D (3 wire pacemaker with built in defibrillator) for several years. I also have a base station by my bed that does a wireless download when I go near it then uploads it to the local hear institute in Bristol via a built in mobile 'phone. If there was to be a problem with the data they would send a message to the base station telling me to call them.

The procedure went like clockwork. I actually fell asleep until the device itself was being fitted into the “pouch” they cut into my chest. The last bit hurt, but otherwise there was only mild discomfort.
Each of the leads has several contacts so that the control signals are send to as many parts of the heart muscle as possible in case any part should be damaged and not respond to the signal.

My ejection fraction (heart pumping efficiency) went from 32% before (severe heart failure) to about 54% after (the bottom end of the normal range.)
It can never be 100% because that would mean the heart walls would have to touch each other with every heartbeat.

I am unfortunately one of the 30% of people with a poacemaker who don’t actually “feel” the benefit. I was breathless doing mnoderate physical activity, climbing stairs, or going uphill, and I still get breathless now. Some people lose the breathlessness afterwards but I was not one of those lucky people. It doesn’t mean it hasn’t worked, it just means I still have the same symptoms I had before.

I find it difficult to sleep on my left side because the device presses on blood vessels and I can feel an uncomfortable pulse in my chest as a result.
I can feel the outline of the device just under the skin, and a corner of it sticks out a bit so it can look a bit odd from certain angles.

I can’t give you medical advice, but I can tell you what I was told. Certain types of electrical and electronic devices can affect the pacemaker/defib. Induction devices and RF transmitters being the worst. You might want to have a look through your electronic equipment in case there is anything there it might be advisable to get rid of.

I’m on a whole raft of meds for my heart and for other conditions. I found that other meds or the side effects of other meds were affecting my body, so I had a review after the device was fitted and a lot of my meds were “rebalanced” (removed, taken at different times, or replaced with an alternative).

My device is on the left side so I was told to always hold a 'phone (mobile or otherwise) to my right ear.
Don’t go anywhere near an induction hob or electric welder.
Use an electric drill at arms length if using it left handed.
Low salt/sodium diet.
I have a 2 - 2.2 litre per day fluid limit.
Limit alcohol intake to the government recommendations (15 units per week).
Take regular but not strenuous exercise.
Avoid airport security metal detectors (I have a card to say I have a device that I can show security personnel so I would get a pat down instead).
Go through shop security sensors quickly and don’t stand between them.
Always carry any medical card you are given, including the one with the device details, and carry a list of all medication you are on.
Don’t do a manual download to the base station unless told to do so as it uses up battery life.

I hope your procedure goes okay and you will feel the benefits.

5 Likes

Crikey that must be a tough one. :frowning:

2 Likes

Not really. Just walk through normally but don’t dawdle, and don’t stop between the sensors if you set one off.

1 Like

Good luck with the procedure OGF. An old neighbour who moved and now back she had open fitted about 4 years ago and all has been good for her. She had one quite serious heart attack and several worrying false alarms.
She would sure say if there was anything wrong at all with her pace maker…

1 Like

Gosh Fruitcake… I feel sorry you’re lumbered with all that, but wonderful that you’re alive and kicking because of it.

Never ceases to amaze me, all the medical stuff they’ve perfected over the years.

Foxy, all the very best to you for your Bionic op in November. x

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that @Kazz, but it sounds like you made the best decision… :+1:

Blimey @Fruitcake I didn’t realise you had it so bad…I’m glad that they have been able to help you. It sounds like I might have some bother with the Pacemaker/Defibrillator, I cook on an induction hob, am deaf in my right ear, left handed, and do electronics for a hobby now I can’t run…
:flushed:
Looks like reading, jigsaws, and watching boxed sets will be my new hobbies… :man_shrugging:
Not bloody likely!..
:018:

Thanks Di…Did she have the serious heart attack before having the pacemaker…?

Thanks @Pesta, I’m sure I’ll be as right as rain once I get those jump leads fitted…
:zap:
Mrs Fox won’t know what hit her…
:pleading_face:

1 Like

You do know they use your existing *ahem", “terminals” on your upper chest to attach the jump leads don’t you? :scream:

1 Like

Foxy, l think things have come so far where heart treatments are concerned. So much can be done now.
I think since Christiaan Barnard carried out the first heart transplant, it changed everything and things have just progressed from there.

Wishing you well… just don’t go near the microwave with it! :laughing:

1 Like

wishing you well old foxy. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Might be the best thing you’ve both ever experienced :rofl: :joy: :grin:

1 Like

Yeah, just make sure there’s no short circuit. You don’t want to go in a shower of sparks. :laughing:

1 Like