Has the climate feedback loop been triggered yet?

Sadly I think you may be right and it fills me with such fear and sadness for my grandchildren .

2 Likes

. . . or too many humans.

1 Like

So, if humans are the problem get rid of the humans? Or a cull, get rid of the non producers, the old, the disabled, the drug users, the benefit scroungers, those whose work can be replaced by automation. Finally no breeding unless you are one of the ‘elite’
:grinning: Sorry, no not my thoughts but stuff I have read in the past as a solution.

1 Like

You’ve been on this forum too long. :wink::grin:

1 Like

:grinning: could be, am I regurgitating someone else’s thoughts?

1 Like

@Vlad , You dont have to do any of wot yu said Vladimir,
If the loop has triggered then we are all along for the ride my boy !!
As you say, " Eat, drink, and be merry !!!". :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

It’s a matter of opinion whether one considers the invention of steam water pumps in the early/mid 17th century or the larger scale mechanization of factories and mills in the mid 18th century as the starting point of our excessive use of fossil fuels and other resources.

But haven’t we done well? It’s only taken us a small number of centuries to destroy the planet and help it into a freefall loop of destruction. Even Darth Vader would be proud of us, and we didn’t even need to build a Death Star.

Or maybe, just maybe, it’s not all entirely our fault? Where’s OGF when I need him?

Hi

My take on the situation.

Humans are impacting on the climate of this world.

Are we changing the Climate?

No we are not, the climate goes through cycles and has done many times in the past long before there where enough humans to have an impact.

What we have started to do is accelerate that impact .

Going carbon neutral and all electric will slow that change down, it may even reverse it for a while but it will still happen, we cannot as yet stop it completely…
We are being hugely arrogant to think we can.

Just my personal opinion.

4 Likes

@Dextrous63 , No l dont believe that we actually caused it, carbon alone
would probably not be enough to warm the planet enough , but carbon
appeared just as the solar system decided to go into a warming cycle
and the two things together ( carbon + solar warm cycle) caused all
the ice melt etc we see right now !!
It is still uncertain if or how much the tundra has melted, but the signs are
not good , as ice melt is twice what was expected by scientists at this
stage !!
If greenland loses all its ice it is thought that sea levels can rise by 72 cm !!
Have a good day, “Its being so cheerful as keeps me going” !! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

I thought global warming would likely stop the Gulf Stream and Britain would freeze rather than warm up?

Correct .
We are on the about same latitude as Labrador and will get the same sort of weather .

1 Like

That would suggest the jet stream would alter not the gulf stream.

1 Like

Nope! It is nothing to do with jet sreams but the currents in the ocean particularly the Gulf Stream which currently keeps Britain warmer than its location would normally indicate.

The current, known as the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (Amoc), carries warm water northwards towards the north pole. There it cools, becomes denser and sinks, and then flows back southwards. But global warming hampers the cooling of the water, while melting ice in the Arctic, particularly from Greenland, floods the area with less dense freshwater, weakening the Amoc current.

I read somewhere that it is already 15% weaker than 400 years ago (I don’t know how they worked that out) but if the current stops flowing then Britain and northern Europe will freeze without its warming influence.

The film “The Day after Tomorrow” was about the failure of the Gulf Stream - factually incorrect because the cooling happened overnight whereas in reality it would happen over a much longer period.

1 Like

@Bruce , Interesting bruce, but dont forget the Artic is allready a couple of degrees warmer than it used to be, which indicates that the Artic circle
is receding, thus our latitude will then be in a warmer climate zone ?
Surely this will enhance the effect of the gulf stream , thus making UK
even hotter, not colder as you said ??
Green land and labrador will also become temperate or warm temperate
climates !?
God knows what will become of australia as things are so confused there atm !!
:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Wouldn’t cold water from defrosted ice cool water surrounding the arctic?

I’ll try an experiment later and not stir the ice around my G&T.

1 Like

You might be right, I was off school when they did Oceanography :grinning:
I wasn’t expecting this volume of response to my pipe smoking mention.
So thank you all, in order to counter any accusations of contributing to ‘global warming’ by smoking my pipe. I do offset my carbon footprint by planting a tree every time I light up my pipe.

2 Likes

The gulf had been warming then, frost fairs on the Thames to look forward to again ,anyone ?

@caricature , Scating on the thames ??
Dont fink so!! :thinking::thinking:

@caricature, Sorry, l should have made it clearer, l meant l dont fink it
will happen again ?
My apologies ! :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like