Has success ever made you more stressed?

As I was watching The Great British Baking Show, I noticed that many of the contestants got more stressed the more they won. I guess they didn’t want to have to live up to expectations or lose what they have.

That’s true in life as well. The more successful people become, the more that’s expected of them and the more they have to lose.

Has success ever made you feel more stressed?

1 Like

Ive never had any success in my life to get stressed over . I dont see myself a loser though.
I suppose the higher you climb the bigger the fall .

5 Likes

The biggest stress of being more successful is that you have to rely on other people and that can be emotionally exhausting. You are also increasingly judged for every mistake. In a competition like bake off that will also be part of the stress. You are seeing people leave, sometimes in tears the higher up you go. Relationships you develop fall by the wayside and you may be at the top but you end up there alone.

3 Likes

Once I was offered promotion at work from a basic administrator in production planning to Production Manager in charge of a team of car manufacturing operators. I agreed purely because the huge increase in salary. But the responsibility meant I could not relax. Weekends and holidays consisted of numerous problem telephone calls. I argued with my wife on more occasions. After six months of the stress and not relaxing, I was lucky to find another position with more or less the same salary.

I don’t know if I’ve ever been that it successful to get stressed over :wink:

1 Like

Heaven forbid I should achieve success, mediocrity can be stressful enough as it is :grimacing:

3 Likes

Some years ago I ‘won’ a sizeable amount in the monthly Premium Bond draws, but it did not stress me out as I simply divided the amount between my four daughters to assist with the education of my grandchildren. I still own the maximum amount allowed of PB’s and I look forward to receiving my usual monthly tax free pay-outs, albeit more modest amounts :+1:

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly. I don’t consider myself a huge success nor do I consider myself a loser either. I try not to think too highly of myself ‘cause I’m not fond of arrogance but also don’t want to be a wallflower either.

2 Likes

No stress with successes …but mine were only small. Success at a good mend of a video recorder or CRT TV after spending hours tracking down a fault. Elation rather than stress :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I turned down a better paid position in the office of the engineering factory where I worked as a general machinist for exactly that reason…Apart from giving up working with my hands (which I love with a passion) in favour of administration, and the stress of working 24/7 which you were expected to do should it become necessary, I had seen employees come and go from such a position…I could clock off after a satisfying completed machining task and go for a long run…Any stress was forgotten after the first mile out in the country…
:sunglasses:

1 Like

I found a holistic solution, it paid more than the living wage and stopped bodily degradation, no one can follow now, It’s too late, swivel all you entrepreneurs. :icon_wink: