Hands Up... Who Likes Defrosting Their Freezer?

I used to hate doing it with my 40 year old chest freezer because it was just like a large bucket and drying it out was a bastard.but its replacement has a drain with a plug . Don’t know how well it works though because I haven’t had to do it yet

1 Like

Frost free here too, but it’s still a chore clearing out the items in the big freezer at the bottom of the French door fridge. It’s a battle against the clock endeavor, putting everything quickly into coolers and do the wipe down before the big thaw commences.

By far and away, the easiest way to clean the surfaces of a freezer is with alcohol, since it has a lower freezing point that water.

3 Likes

and you can have a drink when you finish?

3 Likes

Or even better…during? :laughing:

2 Likes

We have two freezers. One is a fridge freezer that does not need defrosting, the other is a smaller freezer that does need defrosting.

I generally get the steam cleaner out & just give the ice a good blast.

3 Likes

I have a couple of camping 12/240v fridge freezers plus the freezer on my fridge that solves that problem. Just set the former to -18°C a couple of hours before and all is sweet.

2 Likes

sounds like adrenaline junkie territory. What if you fall in?! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

I love defrosting my freezer, but as you know I’m very domesticated, off topic, I thought my freezer was going to defrost itself because, we’ve been without electric sine 12 noon yesterday, it’s just come back on,…just checked the freezer, all still nicely frozen, phew!.

2 Likes

I like chipping all the ice off but it’s getting everything out and covering it over. Hubby can’t lift so much these days so I take some out and then put it back in the drawers after.

If the power goes off it will be alright for 24 hours. Cover it with blankets and duvets.
I’ve got 3 ice packs that stay in the freezer so that will help.

2 Likes

Our Bosch fridge/freezer de-ices automatically. It usually makes a girt great banging noise when it starts to do this, which makes us jump out of our skins. :rofl:

3 Likes

I used to dread the job, but since I bought a Zanussi for the kitchen a couple of years back, it’s easy. I just either run it down or take the contents down to the chest freezer and then select ‘defrost’. The machine then produces heat instead of intense cold turning the ice into water in just a few minutes. Once I’ve emptied the water and dried the freezer walls off, I select freeze and wait until the red light turns green then fill it back up again. Now the long term large chest freezer … I don’t actually defrost it as such … I scrape off the worst in stages as I restock. I don’t think I’ve defrosted that in the 7yrs since I bought it.

2 Likes

I’ve got 2 chest freezers upstairs and I haven’t de frosted them but they’re always full of home grown fruit. The up right freezer in the kitchen I do but only once a year, but I don’t mind doing it. It’s not difficult to empty it, it’s just fiddly.

2 Likes

Gee, l wish l had known about using a steamer before l started defrosting it.
I do have one and with hindsight, it would have helped enormously.
Well, l’ll know the next time and when l’ve plucked up enough enthusiasm to defrost the other two freezers!

I need to go and have a lie down, the thought of defrosting two more freezers, fills me with dread! :laughing:

2 Likes

I haven’t got a steam cleaner but I have thought of a hair dryer but hubby wouldn’t let me do that because of electric close to water.

3 Likes

logan, Maybe, l should knock that idea of using the streamer on the head!!
I don’t want my hair standing on end!!

2 Likes

Artangel it’s probably different with a steamer.

1 Like

With my steam cleaner all electrical cables & the main body are kept well clear of the freezer, ice & any water on the floor. As unlike a hairdrier, it is not a handheld device, but one similar in appearance to a cylinder vacuum cleaner with a nice long hose on it.

edited to add. It is also worth remembering that steam is heated water. So they should be capable of handling some moisture.

2 Likes

You point the steam cleaner at the freezer not your head

2 Likes

This all sounds very dangerous, make sure you wear your wellies!

2 Likes

Bruce you are funny.
I imagined the picture of me with the steam cleaner aimed at my head with my hair standing on end!! :laughing:

1 Like