Google spying on us

I think the smart tvs also listen to us. I’ve had conversations nowhere near the phone but near the smart telly and then have targeted ads on facebook. I have in the past logged onto facebook on the smart telly so it’s my fault for providing that link.

You can turn off the smart TV’s microphone but the setting is usually buried under a title which is meanngless, it certainly was on my LG B7.:smiley:

1 Like

I use the ‘Show previous page’ option on the laptop, very useful.

My ancient TV is to be replaced very soon, hopefully I will be able to link my MacBook Pro laptop to that to view as you suggest. Thanks for the tip on that. Watching TV on a small laptop screen is not the best. That should work as suggested, time will tell. Anything to prevent continuous intrusion into everything.
:grinning:

Thanks this one is a sony bravia. I will have a rummage in the menu.

If you let me know the model I will find the info for you you as it can be very obscure.

I live alone and I suspect that my TV listening to my conversations with my microwave or my fridge learns very little useful or commercial information but turning it off would remove its very handy search facility. Anyway people of our age are of little value to businesses, they are only interested in the 18 to 40 year olds.

Anyway you can spice up your TV conversations with phrases like “pipe bomb” or “intafada”, “hamas”

I don’t agree with that. We have a large ageing population in the UK some of which are far wealthier than the young uns. 45-60 year olds probably have more disposable income than any other group.

1 Like

Just unplug your smart telly from the internet connection…I’ve had a smart telly for a few years now and I don’t plug the thing in to the phone line…The only smart thing in our house is me and the missus…Well! the missus anyway… :flushed:

Have you not heard of credit Annie?
The only adverts aimed at the over sixties are cremations, funerals and equity release.

Thanks Mr F. it’s a Sony Bravia KDL50WF663 LED HDR Full HD 1080p Smart TV, 50" with Freeview Play & Cable

Not sure how easy it is to get credit when you get over 60 OGF. They have been discussing it in the press recently, the increased numbers taking out mortgages and loans over 55.

I guess I’m not yet in that bracket as I’ve yet to reach my mid-50s and the earliest retirement age. But I was having a chat with the cleaner yesterday about drain unblocking and the fashion for odd socks and lo and behold on facebook I immediately had ads for both socks and drain cleaner!

Worried that if I take Bruce’s suggestion and start discussing terrorism the SAS might swoop in half an hour later! :grin: :upside_down_face:

And presumably cruises & thus presumably also Jane McDonald TV shows, CD’s & gigs. :grin:

1 Like

The sites that use ‘data miners’ tend to use it all for targeting and I doubt if age has anything to do with tight specific targeting.

Loans against your property value are credit & TV is full of those adverts & they must be solely aimed at those old enough to have paid off their mortgage.

1 Like

No! no! no! Annie, I meant the young skint people rely on credit these days…Not the oldies… :flushed: We’ve all got loads of brass… :sunglasses:

You may not agree with it but unfortunately, as OGF says, it is a fact. Our age group is of little interest to commercial enterprises, we are not a target group for anybody except funeral and retirement homes. Pensioners tend to be asset rich and cash poor.

1 Like

Try this though I am not 100% . :grinning:

1 Like

I may have misunderstood. I thought Bruce was talking about businesses in general, marketing categories that type of thing.

Thank you I will have a go at this tonight :slight_smile: