Google spying on us

Well I don’t know about now, but this was years ago. You didn’t need to prove anything back then.

Have you checked your google Ad Personalisation page?

adssettings.google .com (without the space)

I’ve got a list of about 200 targets, starting with

65+ years old, John Lewis, Specsavers, IKEA …

You can turn it off, you can control the ads you see.

I just leave it on, but I have Adblocker to block ads on websites. I have an Android Pad without and I do see ads from some of the people on that list.

I’ve never had an email or snailmail from anyone other than a shop like Boots I once gave my details to. Of course I get the odd scam, but nothing personalised.

On my phone I get some pretty sophisticated ad video on YouTube, I think it’s because I’ve installed the YT app rather than visited the site like any other. They don’t appear to be directed at me: the new electric Mini, for example, I’ve never googled that. And of course one can tap skip, but that Mini looks nice.

I’ve been using BRAVE Browser for years on tablet and phone. It has tracker removers and other pop-up blockers. I clean my history every time after I visit anything.

However, my biggest problem has been with Google and my YouTube channel. Around March 2023, my settings suddenly changed. I was notified as I opened the YouTube app. This came shortly after the news mentioned new laws passed in USA for privacy.

Nowadays, I no longer can view certain videos, I get messages of “Age Restricted Videos” and “Prove your age before you can view…”

It’s offensive when you’re over 60 and in mourning. I’ve check the site tonight to see what’s required to prove age. Wow! Not asking much aren’t they?

A credit card (but will be reimbursed)
OR
An ID with pictures either driver’s license (mine was lost in pandemic, I still have to write to them and find funds)
OR
Passport!!!

Seriously?

Why have I bothered entering my full birthdate proving my age in my Google Gmail profile/accounts?

Any of you gone through that crap here in UK? Seriously, I’m fed up of this. I’ve just celebrated a birthday this past Friday. I thought the golden years were supposed to be easier than this…

By the way, why can’t we contact them by email direct? Hiding behind isn’t good, they’re up to no good when they act that way, yes?

Me too and love it.

Apparently my TV can spy on me along with Amazon Dot and Google.
I’m beyond caring :wink:

You sound bitter so that I almost don’t dare say anything. Still, I think you know that stating your age is not proving it. I agree it’s a bit of a hassle but we shouldn’t forget what the rationale for all that is: to at least try and protect youngsters from certain content no matter how futile it may be. Despite all its weaknesses the voluntary self-regulation of the media is a result of public pressure and is better than nothing. Providing no restrictions at all is no option either. It may not comfort you but outside the UK you’d even have to prove your age if you wanted to view movies shown by public broadcasters after 10 pm.

Yes Ripple, we are all probably on someone’s or somethings unstaged “Gogglebox” :laughing:

1 Like

Smile you are on camera :wink:

I just need a name and contact number for my Agent :icon_wink:

A little while ago they changed it so that you need to log-in to view age restricted videos, however sometimes if you copy the video URL and post it in a thread on a forum like this, it bypasses the need to log-in. Feel free to do that in our Testing Section :023:

In terms of the OP, it’s not just Google it’s all of the large tech companies - FB is probably the worst, and now combined with the power of machine learning/AI, I think all this power in their hands is quite dangerous - because they can make very good calculations on what/how something may influence you. Whether that’s purchasing decisions or other more serious stuff relating to politics etc.

This is part of the reason the EU brought in tighter cookie controls, however it was not executed very well, so most people just click accept because that’s much easier than a pop-up almost every time you visit! The sites basically annoy you with frequent notices to force you to click the option they want you to!

It’s not just cookies tho, many apps brazenly sell your data! Even apps like the most popular dating app! Imagine all of your private conversations and other interactions being bought by your employer, or your doctor or consultant, or some other person or company you never intended to know so much about you!

Even sites that do not require you to register are a risk - because they basically identify you via your IP address. So say you log in to FB, well then they have your IP address, and then you go and visit some website or article, well FB, if they are working with/purchasing data from that site know you visited that site! This is what apps like that can use to build a psychological profile.

This is one of the reasons I have grown increasingly unhappy with us placing Google ads on these forums and have been moving away from them on many of the forums I admin :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Let’s start spying on Google, just for a Laff :grin:

2 Likes

Good heavens! I’m in so much trouble…
:open_mouth:

2 Likes

If they find something interesting about me,I’d like to know what it is.

4 Likes

Well, I’d say Google will spy on you with horizontals instead of verticals…

2 Likes

No your not, at your age and physical limitations, you are no longer employable :icon_wink:

2 Likes

That is so ageist and on an old fogey’s forum too.
OGF has got many years of rebellion in him yet.

1 Like

I don’t mind Google spying, lets hope it don’t start blackmailing. :grin:

That is not the wish of an innocent man

Quite!