Good Morning Wednesday 24th July 2024

Well, good morning on another warmish, sunny, winters day.

My youngest son (and his dog) have just set off back to Sydney after staying overnight (the hospital wouldn’t release me unless I had someone with me for 24 hours). I am feeling fine so it was really a waste of his time but hey ho, that’s what they insisted on. They even wrote him a sick note for his employer!

While he was here I got him to drive his car back and forth over the ruts on the now drying lawn, worked well for one side but the other track just created different ruts - still too wet.

As promised he went out for pizza last night, I still have a couple of pieces left in the fridge for lunch. I like pizza but rarely have it so it is a bit of a treat.

I shall be taking it a little easy today as I have a seniors’ meeting tomorrow but will still get some little jobs done while the sun and warmth (21°) are here - another cold front is due to arrive on Sunday (I can’t really complain, it is winter).

Have a good day, enjoy your mid week hump day.

6 Likes

Morning all – grey overcast start to the day hopefully we will get some sun later

Glad you are feeling better Bruce – but I am confused, you have pizza slices left ? How is this possible? :confused: Are you sure you are not still feeling the effects of the procedure?

Managed to finish the book I was reading – I have read books by this author before but not for a long time and I don’t think I will read any more of his books. Feels a bit strange not to have a book sitting on the table waiting for me to pick up – must find another quickly!

My neighbour called In yesterday with my weekly supply of homemade cupcakes! :cupcake: I am so lucky with my neighbours, he repairs my car and does odd jobs for me and she makes sure I don’t lose weight!

Off this morning to the new group I tried before I went away – they were all very friendly, although I feel a bit anxious this time. The first time I was expected and was greeted but wonder if this time I will walk in and end up sitting alone – pretty sure that won’t happen but that is the way my mind works – overthinking things!

The International Balloon Fiesta starts here this weekend and we have had hot air balloons floating over the city this morning. As I said before I used to be able to watch the balloons from where I lived but now I am too far away. I won’t be going to the fiesta as the parking there is horrendous, last year it took people almost two hours to get out of the car park!

Take care – have a great day everyone

7 Likes

Good Morning - It’s sunny and fairly warm. Our daughter arrived yesterday. She mostly lives in Spain but has been staying in the north of England for a while. We have family connections there. She’s down this way for a while and staying with a Son who lives locally.

It has become a tradition for her to bring some pork pies from Barnsley when she comes here. It’s not possible to get pork pies like them around here. She brought a good few this time, so I expect to put on a few pounds over the next day or three. I don’t care :slight_smile:

Mrs mart got her repaired power wheelchair back this morning, so her and our daughter can go shopping together. That’s her happy.

Our daughter’s car developed a fault on the way here. A low EOLYS level apparently. Got to get that sorted out today. Maybe our local garage can do that.

Have a good day. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Good morning everyone.

Another warm, sunny day - maybe Summer has arrived at long last.

Not much to report today is much the same as most days really. Walked the dog. Vacuumed the downstairs rooms and I’m now having a coffee.

I had a slightly concerning event yesterday afternoon. I visited a local shopping centre to get a key cut and needed to go to the upper floor. I used the escalator to get up there but when it was time to return I just couldn’t get onto it - I stood watching it and couldn’t bring myself to step onto it. I eventually used the stairs instead. I find this particularly concerning because in a few weeks I am going to London and will need to use the escalators at Euston Station and on the underground. The last time I visited London I was very nervous about using them but managed to do so because I was with my son and he stood behind me to help me. I’m wondering whether this is to do with my age now, I have become increasingly concerned about losing my balance and falling over. I remember this fear of using an escalator happened to my mother in old age but I never thought it would happen to me!

Have a lovely time with your daughter Mart - and enjoy the pork pies!

There used to be a Balloon Festival in Northampton many years ago Sheila and we enjoyed watching the many shapes and sizes as they went over our house, it has always been my ambition to go up in one … maybe one day. I hope your meeting goes well, it seems that as you were made welcome last time things will be absolutely fine this time too. We do sometimes overthink things don’t we? My sons often say that I think too much!

Pleased to hear that you are feeling ok Bruce and taking it easy - just sit back and enjoy the pizza.

Happy Wednesday!

5 Likes

Good Morning one and all…what a great day… :mini:
“Mid week hump day?” That’s a good un Bruce… :nerd_face:
The nearest I get to humping these days is watching the collared doves humping on my garden wall…It’s terribly distracting while I’m trying to watch Coronation Street. You would think they could be a little more discreet… :astonished: How if I humped Mrs fox over the garden wall? :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Fat chance of that, I’ve forgotten how to do it…
Anyway, riding my bike is better than sex, which brings me seamlessly into this mornings activities… :biking_man:
I don’t normally do any exercise on a Wednesday, but after getting the Tesco shop out of the way, and realising how good conditions were for biking as I strolled nonchalantly across the car park pushing my trolley, I decided to make an exception and go for it… :smile:
A brilliant ride in very quick time, but I fear I’ve used up all of todays energy, and have ended up a big useless lump of wasted fat and muscle… :anguished:
A description Mrs Fox uses quite often…
:sunglasses:

5 Likes

@MargaretF this happened to me when all the children were small. I stood at the top of the moving escalator and just froze. Many kind people offered to help but I just could not move. It was very frightening.
Luckily it hasn’t happened again since, but then I can’t remember the last time I took an escalator
I hope you get on ok in London :+1:

3 Likes

Thank you @User_One. I’m hoping this is just a temporary thing for me as it was for you. I have decided to go back to the shopping centre and have another go at the escalator there. I think it could be that I need more practice!

5 Likes

Good afternoon all!
No work today so all’s mellow, so far at least, shouldn’t tempt fate. Chilli jnr and I have just lunched on a delicious crusty tiger baguette with cheddar, red onion and finely chopped zingy green fresh chilli for that little extra something.

Hey Foxy, how that bike running? I seem to remember that you were thinking of getting a new model? It’d be like saying goodbye to an old friend I’d imagine!

Margaret, maybe just take your time getting on to the escalator in the first instance, don’t let anyone hassle you just pick your moment :+1:
Gosh I remember the old wooden ones, gone forever after the appalling fire at Kings Cross of course.

escalator-2768271161

Anyway, off for a spot of blackberry picking shortly
Enjoy your day people!

5 Likes

A lovely good Wednesday morning to all, a most lovely hump day indeed :smiley:

In 100 years, in 2124
We will all be buried
with our relatives and friends
Strangers will live in our homes
which we fought so hard to build
and they will own everything we have today,
including that car you spent a fortune on
our descendants will hardly know who we were
How many of us know our grandfathers father
After our death we will be remembered for a few years
And a few years later , our history, our photos, our deeds
go into the dust of oblivion, we won’t even be memories
Maybe if one day, we stop and analyze these questions
We understand how ignorant and weak the dream of obtaining everything was, always having more and more without having time for the things that are REALLY worthwhile in this life.
I’d change all that to LIVE and ENJOY those walks I’ve never taken.

Have a safe and wonderful humpday :smiley:

4 Likes

Good morning from the land of indoor camping! Overcast skies here with dead calm conditions. Even the dogs, who love their post-breakfast naps outside, have retreated to the air conditioned spaces.

It’s so nice to read that several of you are enjoying the company of your kids and @SheilaP has a balloon fest to anticipate!

@Margaret, about that escalator, so irritating, isn’t it! I expect that this is temporary and that plenty of walking will help you “reset” your brain and strengthen the neural connections that are associated with balance, coordination, and spatial awareness.I understand this well, having developed a weird and temporary tendency to hesitate stepping on everything from a bath mat to curb steps after tearing my meniscus. It was an irritating “fear” but I pressed ahead and one day I just. noticed that it wasn’t bothering me anymore. If you continue to notice difficulty a physical therapist might help you with some coordination exercise. It sure helped me!

The construction team was here at the crack of dawn, understandably avoiding the heat. They have it down; they do all the outdoor quiet work until 7 a.m., skip lunch, and quit at 2:30, which tends to be the hottest time of the day.

I like the demolition team; I have asked to watch their work closely and they have shown me how to remove a fireplace mantel and how to efficiently remove floor and backsplash tile without breaking anything. Holy cow, I really had to get my back and shoulders into the floor tile removal! I am ever amazed and impressed by the upper body strength of men! Do you guys take that for granted? Amazing, really. Since I can’t buy shoulders, I think my next purchase is going to be a proper respirator…ugh…the dust.

@OGF you know that share your love of exercise but in rare fashion, there is one aspect of you post regarding exercise on which we vehemently disagree…

My day off is Sunday not Wednesday. Hahaha, you thought I was taking that somewhere else, didn’t you! :sunglasses:

Back on track, that is exactly where I went this morning, but was cut short by the arrival of the workers. I loathe running in circles, but didn’t have the time to venture farther.

That’s enough from me; I am off to build a Spotify list to drown out the din…

Have a good day with blackberries, shopping (good to hear about the mobile chair @mart), cupcakes…and all things your way!

4 Likes

Thanks Chilli, for understanding my plight…I decided to hang on to my old friend that has been the source of so many adventures over the years. And I’m not being despondent here, but I have to ask myself, how long am I going to continue riding…Probably not long enough to justify the exorbitant cost of a new machine…I’ll put the money towards a cruise instead…
:passenger_ship:

I was totally blindsided there surfermom…
:astonished:
Because most road running events like marathons take place on Sundays (fell runs on Saturdays) The long Sunday run has always been paramount in my training schedule, and being the old stick in the mud that you know I am…I’ll just say “you can’t teach old foxes new tricks”…
:nerd_face:

3 Likes

Terrific!
There’s life in your old friend yet, you’ll no doubt have many more adventures together Foxy, true teamwork!:+1:

2 Likes

Yep. I like to think we’ve both got plenty of years left in us yet Chilli… :+1:
By the way, the crusty tiger baguette sounds absolutely delicious, and might just be the basis for Thursdays lunch…
:yum:

2 Likes

I had a friend who had never travelled on an escalator always used the stairs or lifts, was absolutely terrified of them.

All the shopping centres here (that I know) have the flat ones so you can take a shopping trolley on them and you can just walk. (stock photo)

1 Like

Aha! That Sunday running makes sense, OGF. Sunday, in many places around the world, is family beach day, so I started that tradition early with the kids. Unfortunately, the surf does not always align with that ritual, so I am not as set in stone as I used to be about which day I skip the trails.

For years, I ran every day despite being warned that I would ruin my knees, back, muscles…you name it, if I didn’t take a day off. Guess what? That advice proved to be wrong. Whatever works for YOUR body - works. Wednesday off every week? Good for you!

2 Likes

Wow! I have never seen a flat escalator before! These should be in every airport in the world. :smiley::+1:

2 Likes

I can only speak for Manchester Airport, but there are miles of them there…Some large Tesco Extras have them also Surfer.
:shopping_cart:

2 Likes

Apparently it’s the Dark Ages on this side of the Atlantic.

I shall retreat back to my cave. :dotted_line_face:

2 Likes

These innovations were probably invented on your side of the pond Surfermom. Ever since the UK was bought out by the EU… :frowning_face:

1 Like