Good Morning Wednesday, 20th March 2024

Good morning forum frolickers, welcome to the International Day of Happiness.

It was warm overnight here, minimum was 23° but that is all about to change this arvo when a southerly sweeps through. The rain forecast has been changed to showers and I felt a few drops while I was out on my walk but at the moment it is just grey and warm.

Spent a happy hour or so writing a batch file to catalogue my TV series and films on my NAS (Network Thatched Storage) - Basically a big hard drive on my network.

I intend to spend a bit of time checking out my camper today. I made a big mistake, I should have taken off today for a few days away but forgot to get ready (well that’s my excuse), I’d have to be home for Saturday because my son is visiting so have abandoned the idea. Now I am hoping to get away straight after Easter because it is not a school holiday just a very long weekend this year.

Anyway have a happy day (it’s compulsory) doing whatever you have planned.

1 Like

Good almost morning!

Its funny you mention camping. I was on the website of Martin Dies, Jr. State Park — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department thinking of taking off Friday noon, and staying through Sunday. One small tiny issue, I havent decided on if a screen close cabin will work. They have 9 left. I also dont know how lost I can get if I get in a rental kayak here. I have not tried a sleeping bag on the floor for over 40 years.

Anyone tried camping recently and had a good experience with sleeping bags?

I find getting out of town, hiking or getting on the water helps a lot with stress and reconnecting priorities.

Cheers here’s to a super good wed!

1 Like

International Day of Happiness! Bruce some of your posts are excellent timed. Happy International Day to you! thanks I needed that!

1 Like

I don’t camp in a tent any more, I have teardrop camper (basically a double bed on wheels) Slept in a tent until I turned 70 but found getting down on my hands and knees and back up again was becoming a problem.

Used an air mattress to soften the ground and always slept well, those pop up tents are brilliant, they only take a couple of minutes to put up and take down.

My only advice is to make sure the sleeping bag is suitable for the season, there is nothing worse than being cold (or too hot)

BTW the table in the picture went in the bin after I kept trapping my fingers when setting it up.

Good morning all!
I’m not working today, off to the gym and then on to Asda.
Lookingforward, as Bruce suggested what lies under the sleeping bag is crucial too. I have used self inflating mats with some success. I don’t drive so weight and indeed volume is critical when packing and attaching gear to the rucksack when camping/hiking. When at last I move to Scotland next year wild camping is legal so I’m seriously thinking in splashing out on a terra nova bivvy. Not cheap and not for the claustrophobic but very light, compact to carry and quick to pitch and take down…it rains a lot in Scotland :wink::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Have a good day forum people! :+1:

2 Likes

Morning all - grey and damp again today, well it is Spring in UK!!

Yesterday’s meeting with my old friend went well - we spent a very long time catching up, I think the cafe staff thought we had taken up residence! Being the generous kind I gave her a slice of the birthday cake my neighbours had made for me, the cake has now been finished - the bad news is that my clothes no longer fit!! Made an impulse buy of some solar powered garden lights.

I wish good weather for those of you who like camping - not my thing I’m afraid. I like my creature comforts - you know, running water, proper toilets, electricity!! My husband used to say he would never suggest we go camping as I never wanted to be more than 10 minutes from room service!

Take care - hope everyone has a lovely day

3 Likes

that looks really cool. I need to make a decision next 2 days. I dont remember the feeling of camping, but the cost is so almost a 1/4th to camp versus getting a hotel room. Found a matt to go under a sleeping bag. Still thinking Bruce’s commentary on right season sleeping bags. Thank you both, good info!

1 Like