Good Morning Wednesday, 10th April 2024

Good morning to all who follow.

What a cold night! I think it got down to the low teens last night, I had to make myself a hot water bottle it was that cold. To be fair I haven’t yet put the winter doona on the bed yet. Nice and sunny but cool this morning a maximum of 20°.

Went for a walk early, partly to survey the damage caused by the recent rain event - not too bad, the council has cleaned most of the mess up. Just a few fences down near the creek as far as I can see and a little bit of vegetation caught by the bridge over a ditch…

After my walk had my annual visit to the optician, all is well, he sent my eye test off the the RTA so as long as the doctor passes me medically next month I am good to drive for another year. I still haven’t handed in my truck licence but will definitely do it this year.

As soon as my eyes recover from the drops I will be out in the garden with the glyphosate spraying the edges, the rain has made then go mad.

What are you up to? whatever it is have a good one…

3 Likes

Howdy from Texas,

Bruce, I had to google seasons in Australia. Upon reading, started having vague memories of season opposites.

Australia is in Autumn like you posted. While Texas is sitting in Spring approaching Summer. I was wondering why it was getting cold there.

Autumn to winter are good seasons.

Kind of looking forward to commuting tomorrow and back to some routines.

Have a good day all!

1 Like

Good morning from sunny and wind free (for now) south east of England. There’s been so much rain and extreme wind over the last few weeks. Even beach huts have been washed into the sea and numerous trees blown down causing roads to be closed. Very different today. Very still and calm with no rain and a clear blue sky. Is summer coming? Enjoy your day whatever you choose to do but take care.

1 Like

Morning all - grey and overcast this morning

I don’t know how you survive those “low” temperatures Bruce, today we are expecting a maximum of 13c and this is supposed to be Spring! :cold_face:

Beast still behaving herself but refused to leave the house again after her breakfast. Her regular servants sent a picture yesterday showing themselves enjoying the sunshine in Spain - jealous? me???

Not much planned for today except catching up on some paperwork (oh joy!)

Take care - have a lovely day

1 Like

Bright sunshine today but rather cold - it was 5C when first went out.

1 Like

Good morn all
Today done the daily walk, so got that out of tfhe way, even with aching knees and legs… Now for a coffee and a chat on here.

As I p/x a lens for the new Panasonic G9 and kit lens I am hoping that what they offer will buy the 100-300 lens version for the pana. camera… I will have to wait a few days for their accessment before I know what they value my old lens for.
I did for a member on another site post a photo showing the difference between a full frame- four thirds and compact camera but of course I can’t show it on here. All I will say there is a huge difference between them not only in size but also in weight.

I could gave strong pointers about what to look for if considering getting a camera but not under the present circumstances.
Now to carry on getting used to the G9 and taking more serious photos

1 Like

Good Morning from Foxy’s World… :oncoming_automobile:
Off to book the motor in for it’s first MOT as soon as I get finished on here, and with the chance of some decent sunny, warm, weather tomorrow I’ll sort out this months crop of trig points to visit. They are near the coast so I may find a good chippy and have lunch staring out to see…
Still fine at the moment, so I might take the scenic route back from the garage… :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Good afternoon all,
I’m going to stick my neck out and suggest that the weather seems to be improving, it’s gradually getting warmer as it should and it hasn’t actually rained today…yet!:slightly_smiling_face:

We’re going for a walk in a local wooded area later for my son to find some fallen branches for an art project, then it’s back home to cook some well seasoned chicken drumsticks and a DVD this evening…no complaints from me…:slightly_smiling_face:

Enjoy the rest of your day people :+1:

5 Likes

I spoke too soon, I got the motor booked in for next Wednesday, and then continued on my walk down the part flooded lane…

And on to the canal towpath. Although quite overcast with a cold wind, it had not rained yet today…This metal bridge carried water pipes from the Pilkington glass works on the left side of the river and canal, to the large mound of sand on the right. Now covered in trees.
The sand was specially imported from Africa, apparently it takes a special kind of sand to make glass. Water was pumped over the bridge and carried the absorbed sand back over to the factory saving on transport and being able to cross the canal and river.

I turned away from the bridge and joined the towpath…Occupied by dog walkers, among others. Since they built the new housing estate behind, the towpath has become very popular for walkers and cyclists, and old has been runners like me…

The village is a popular mooring for narrow boats on the canal. Mrs Fox’s parents used to own the Swing Bridge Stores on the right which was also frequented by workers from Thorpe Marsh Power Station, but coal burning stations are not in fashion these days, so after it’s demise the shop closed and was turned into a house.
This is where I leave the towpath and walk through the village back home…The rain had just started but not too serious…Yet!
I managed to arrive just as this narrow boat was passing through. As you can see, it’s no longer a ‘swing bridge’ it’s a ‘lift bridge’ now…

6 Likes

Some local history Foxy…top pictures! :+1:

2 Likes

Afternoon everyone

So much calmer today

And the ferry is back sailing

2 Likes

Thanks Chilli, I’d hoped someone had found it as interesting as I did…
:+1:

2 Likes

That’s a wide canal OGF, I follow a couple of UK canal dwellers on Youtube. Love those pics

Yes, but don’t forget that while you are boiling in your 20° of summer we are freezing in our 20° of winter. :wink:

It is always a tough decision as to when to change from summer to winter doona but I usually aim for about ANZAC Day, too early and you cook at night too late and you freeze.

1 Like