Going back to the moon

They will only go round the moon Solly, not the same!
As he is looking for a female to go with him l expect he has ulterior
motives for taking the trip! Who knows what will go on round the dark
side of the moon?
Donkeyman!

Very true! :-p

Heh heh! Forget space travel, a nice pie crust does it for Mrs Besoeker. :lol::lol:

Yes, there is the question of which female(s) to take with us. Maybe we will able to 3D print who we want. :lol:

Yes, as near as I can tell, the 1st ARTEMIS 1 is all but complete. The first stage of the rocket has been shipped to Stennis space flight center for a full out test. The crew module has been completed ahead of schedule. The service module, is now in Ohio being further tested. Not sure yet about stage 2.
If I understand it correctly, the 1st launch into high earth orbit is scheduled to launch in November of this year. That 1st launch will be unmanned.
I saw one video that discussed the building of a permanent moon base. Apparently, that base will be doing extensive testing of all the equipment necessary for the permanently manned Mars base.
Re: the people who think that we never, ever landed on the moon back 50 years ago. I don’t think there is any hope for them. They were born stupid and they’re going to die stupid.
Many cool videos of Artemis 1 on youtube. Search “Artemis 1 roll out”. :cool:

FYI, It is 140 million miles to Mars (closest approach) and when traveling at 20,000 mph it will take aprox 7 months.

By comparison the moon is only 240,000 miles from earth and took 3 days to get there.

Some years back, I read an article that discussed the possibility of sending couples on a one-way mission to Mars once they had established a series of greenhouses to grow edible crops. Of course, they also must have a good source of water. The most recent Mars explorer CURIOUSITY has already discovered water merely a few inches below the Martian surface.

Supplies, equipment and more teams would be send in at regular intervals. The article described how they could convert water into hydrogen and oxygen.

It goes without saying that teams of scientists would be searching for life on Mars as one of the first tasks. Naturally, such life would be in the form of bacteria. Can you imagine the thrill of discovering life on another planet ? That would undoubtedly change our way of thinking.

I think that’s much more likely - possibly in the form of extremophiles or viruses. The problem is that we only know how to look for life was we know it made of organic molecules (made of the CHON elements), and it could well exist in some other form making it easy to miss.

At first we may miss certain forms of life. However, if we persist, we will prevail. Just because something is difficult does not mean we should give up.

The human species has always been explorers. We have always wanted to know what is just over the horizon. Even as a small child I needed to know what was on the other side of the mountain. Traveling by myself I have journeyed around the world, twice. At times it was difficult, even dangerous, but I never gave up. Now, nearing the end of my life, I don’t regret one moment of my thrilling journey. Thus, I am excited, perhaps even jealous, of those who will take the journey to Mars.

[ATTACH]11447.vB[/ATTACH]

Completed Artemis 1 roll out being loaded onto barge for shipment to Stennis rocket test facility.
Sorry, I do not know how to do the “click to enlarge thing”

[ATTACH]11448.vB[/ATTACH]

Stuff POTUS and FLOTUS into it, light the blue touch paper, and stand well back!

Is it really necessary to make snide, totally off topic remarks ? I mean, really. Enough is enough !

Apologies!

https://www.over50sforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11453&d=1579389521

Mags,
Please , please tell me how in the world you managed to enlarge that photo (above) ? Perhaps I have early onset of dementia but I just don’t get it.

Still attempting to learn. I did it but I don’t know how I did it. I posted ANOTHER of the above photos and again it was way too small, so I erased it and I wrote out “still attempting to learn” and like magic it worked. Weird !

Not sure what has happened to my copy of your photo above but it has disappeared :smiley:

Copy the image URL of your photo.

Go to your Reply box and click on the icon at the top of the reply box that looks like a yellow envelope. Paste the image into this box and click ok.

Agreed. When I looked it up I found it was president obama who initiated this project, back in 2010:
Thespace policy of the Barack Obama administrationwas announced by U.S. PresidentBarack Obamaon April 15, 2010, at a major space policy speech atKennedy Space Center.[1]He committed to increasingNASAfunding by $6 billion over five years and completing the design of a new heavy-lift launch vehicle by 2015 and to begin construction thereafter. He also predicted a U.S.-crewed orbitalMarsmission by the mid-2030s, preceded by theAsteroid Redirect Missionby 2025. In response to concerns over job losses, Obama promised a $40 million effort to helpSpace Coastworkers affected by the cancellation of theSpace Shuttle programand*Constellation program.